DO I HAVE AN OBLIGATION TO RESPOND TO A GREETING?

Old threads that got too big or just faded away.

DO I HAVE AN OBLIGATION TO RESPOND TO A GREETING?

Postby Jenny » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:06 pm

Hello,

I work for a a very large, world wide renowned organisation.
I do not belong to a union, so can't ask them.
I'm not in a position to contact our HR department as I rightly/wrongly feel that my concerns may not remain confidential.

My question is that do I have the right to acknowledge a genral, social hello/good morning from another colleague? I am prepared to be approached by this this man and will respond to professional/work related queries and I'm prepared to liaise with him re this subject. however, I'm not prepared to acknowledge his 'good morning' greetings, and i have my reasons for this.

I don't want to be accused of any wrong doing, but I feel it is my right who to social interact with. Is employment law on my side?

Thank you,
Jenny (not my real name)
Jenny

Re: DO I HAVE AN OBLIGATION TO RESPOND TO A GREETING?

Postby Stooo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:09 pm

Tell him that you're a tranny and he can suck your dick Jen.

I find that this often breaks the ice :smilin:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby curious » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:24 pm

So, jen sounds like you aren't much of a morning person, dont' like to say hello in the morning, greetings, that sort of thing. Hmmm, perhaps we share a connection, I too am not much of a morning person, don't really enjoy saying hello to the people in the classroom, or even making small talk before I have had at least 3 or 4 cups of coffee...... :thumbsup: Tell me do you warm up later in the day and how are you at hoovering a golf ball through 6-feet of garden hose? Just curious :leer:
curious

Postby delroy a booboo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:32 pm

Jenny wrote:Hello,

I'm not in a position to contact our HR department as I rightly/wrongly feel that my concerns may not remain confidential.

My question is that do I have the right to acknowledge a genral, social hello/good morning from another colleague? I am prepared to be approached by this this man and will respond to professional/work related queries and I'm prepared to liaise with him re this subject. however, I'm not prepared to acknowledge his 'good morning' greetings, and i have my reasons for this.

I don't want to be accused of any wrong doing, but I feel it is my right who to social interact with. Is employment law on my side?

Thank you,
Jenny (not my real name)

i presume its unicef or oxfam so just learn mumby
delroy a booboo

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:54 am

Thank you,
Jenny (not my real name)

Firstly "Jenny", your thread title and the question contained in your post are diametric opposites. In the title, you ask if you have an obligation to respond to his greeting but in your post you ask if you have the right. I assume you mean "do I have the right to refuse to acknowledge a greeting?"

It seems odd that you want to refuse to say good morning to this person but you are right to be prepared to speak with him on work-related matters. Having been in a similar position myself in the past myself, my advice to you would be to always ensure that your own attitude to work colleagues is satisfactory and I'd say that in any workplace where you have to co-operate with others, you have to communicate with them even when you don't feel like it. I fully understand that you don't want to chat or make small talk with this person and you are under no obligation to do so but refusing to acknowledge a simple "good morning" would, I think. put you on more difficult ground as saying good morning in this context is an acknowledgement that this person is physically present. Nobody can force you to do more than that but refusing to acknowledge a greeting could (at best) be seen as rude and (at worst) as passive aggression.

It's also possible that over time, refusing to respond to a common courtesy could be seen as you being hostile or disruptive within the workplace and you could find that you ended up being identified as being "difficult" or responsible for creating a bad working atmosphere.

Hope that helps.

Postby LucianDeville » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:03 pm

Guest wrote:

Thank you,
Jenny (not my real name)

Firstly "Jenny", your thread title and the question contained in your post are diametric opposites. In the title, you ask if you have an obligation to respond to his greeting but in your post you ask if you have the right. I assume you mean "do I have the right to refuse to acknowledge a greeting?"

It seems odd that you want to refuse to say good morning to this person but you are right to be prepared to speak with him on work-related matters. Having been in a similar position myself in the past myself, my advice to you would be to always ensure that your own attitude to work colleagues is satisfactory and I'd say that in any workplace where you have to co-operate with others, you have to communicate with them even when you don't feel like it. I fully understand that you don't want to chat or make small talk with this person and you are under no obligation to do so but refusing to acknowledge a simple "good morning" would, I think. put you on more difficult ground as saying good morning in this context is an acknowledgement that this person is physically present. Nobody can force you to do more than that but refusing to acknowledge a greeting could (at best) be seen as rude and (at worst) as passive aggression.

It's also possible that over time, refusing to respond to a common courtesy could be seen as you being hostile or disruptive within the workplace and you could find that you ended up being identified as being "difficult" or responsible for creating a bad working atmosphere.

Hope that helps.

Hi Jenny

The Guest has done well here, but we will add our our little millon pounds worth.

We have been in a similar situation to yours several years ago. The other was was a very clever bully and had the gift, so to speak, to wind people up especially ones it fell out with. This bully was a typical bully, hypocrite, loud, deluded, talk the talk but not the walk, low self esteem, you know where we are coming from. This bully after having fallen out with us when it tried to humilate us with several friends, made sure it said hello Lucian as we had just walked past. initially we answered and noted the smirk on its tranny face then ignored and then, sadly responded in a condescending manner, therefore it nearly got the better of us. now we respond in kind a anice smile and a happy tone - we feel this winds up the the ugly twat.

therefore, play along with it but you are under no obligation to small talk the twat but don't fall in to its trap by not responding to the greeting as this is what it wants.

btw, the twat does not say hello/morning every day but usually waits for an audience, usually its lackys. One things bullies hate is you being/appearing happy, so smile and laugh, trust us it works.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
LucianDeville

Postby Trapper John » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:13 pm

If it is upsetting you, you are well within your rights to stab him through the eye with a sharp pencil.

Little word of caution, don't press home the stab, this could penetrate the brain and kill him, you won't be very popular if that happens because people will think you are a nutter, and shy away from you.

hope that helps :thumbsup:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby LucianDeville » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:17 pm

Trapezerjohn wrote:If it is upsetting you, you are well within your rights to stab him through the eye with a sharp pencil.

Little word of caution, don't press home the stab, this could penetrate the brain and kill him, you won't be very popular if that happens because people will think you are a nutter, and shy away from you.

Hi

This poster Jenny is a cyber friend of ours, so shut the fuck up and keep your pathetic, so-called mornoic advice to yourself!!

Best regards

Lucian :smilin: :smilin:
LucianDeville

Postby Trapper John » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:22 pm

LucianDeville wrote:
Trapezerjohn wrote:If it is upsetting you, you are well within your rights to stab him through the eye with a sharp pencil.

Hi

This poster Jenny is a cyber friend of ours, so shut the fuck up and keep your pathetic, so-called mornoic advice to yourself!!

Best regards

If she's a friend of yours, why let her come on here asking for advice?...........I think it's time you apologised to her and admitted to the cruel trick you played on her.

Peace be upon you :smilin:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:25 pm

LucianDeville wrote:

Hi

Best regards

Get brian moran.

Postby LucianDeville » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:25 pm

Trapezerjohn wrote:
LucianDeville wrote:

Hi

Best regards

If she's a friend of yours, why let her come on here asking for advice?...........I think it's time you apologised to her and admitted to the cruel trick you played on her.

Hi

Indeed Jenny is a close cyber friend, but we do not own her and she has every right to ask advice on a public forum.

some of the resposne will be shit, some sensible, some meaning well but useless and then there is people like you that take pleasure out of other peoples woes.

xxxxx

:smilin: :smilin:
LucianDeville

Postby Trapper John » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:30 pm

LucianDeville wrote:
Trapezerjohn wrote:
LucianDeville wrote:

Hi

Best regards

Hi

Indeed Jenny is a close cyber friend, but we do not own her and she has every right to ask advice on a public forum.

some of the resposne will be shit, some sensible, some meaning well but useless and then there is people like you that take pleasure out of other peoples woes.

xxxxx

:smilin: :smilin:

But I was being serious, it always worked for me.

Regards, Trapper

HMP Secure Unit, Broadmoor.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby LordRaven » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:43 pm

Thank you,
Jenny (not my real name)

Did you do a" Boris Becker in The Broom Cupboard at the Aptly named Nobu Restaurant" remake with this unforttunate chap Jenny??
Spill!
In Boris's case the woman in question did not--she spat it into a container of some sort and inseminated herself--allegedly. So when she claimed he was the dad ne was the one who happily said "We did not have intercourse,I only Bill Clinton'd her--Let's do DNA" and he was gobsmacked when he found out he was the dad because --He could have banged her!--Allegedly?
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby LordRaven » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:05 pm

Stooo wrote:Tell him that you're a tranny and he can suck your dick Jen.

I find that this often breaks the ice :smilin:

:canny: For sure!! :pmsl:
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby Text » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:33 am

Thank you,
Jenny (not my real name)
A cold, curt "good morning" once a day is no great effort is it?? It's more of a strain to keep ignoring him when he greets you.
Text

Next

Return to The Archive old