TV Shows.

Re: TV Shows.

Postby Keyser » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:08 pm

Wilson wrote:
Keyser wrote:
Wilson wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Wilson wrote:Was really looking forward to Bodyguard last night after hearing all the hype. What a disappointment! Just another bog standard BBC London based drama with the same cliché characters. Bitchy, posh and humourless does not equate to "strong female character". :snooty:

It’s ok, not a bad start. The leading actress usually plays much more empathetic roles so this is a nice change for her.
Looking forward to tonight’s episode.
....in 5 mins.

The first 15 mins were good tbf.

Will catch up on I Player.

Enjoying stuff that has never been of Freeview before - the last four series of House, Grimm, Sleepy Hollow, The Frankenstein Chronicles with Vikings and Day 5 to come.

Has anyone seen Vikings?

How does it compare to The Last Kingdom? :cuppaT:

Not seen either of them sorry.
Just attempting to watch Game Of Throwns again. Really don't like it. Apparently I have to stick with it. Load of shit!

I have the first four series but not watched any yet.

The original and best for anyone who has not seen it. :thumbsup:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b0082dzs

To Play the King was also excellent but The Final Cut was not quite as good.
Keyser

Postby Ray of Sunshine » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:18 pm

Wilson wrote:Was really looking forward to Bodyguard last night after hearing all the hype. What a disappointment! Just another bog standard BBC London based drama with the same cliché characters. Bitchy, posh and humourless does not equate to "strong female character". :snooty:

It's too far-fetched and
Spoiler: show
I think it's obvious her boyfriend is going to be the terrorist leader.

Mercurio's previous series Line of duty got a bit far-fetched as well at times.

Best series he did was Bodies IMO.
Ray of Sunshine

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:29 pm

Ray of Sunshine wrote:

It's too far-fetched and

Fiction is supposed to be far fetched.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Wilson » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:43 pm

Ray of Sunshine wrote:

It's too far-fetched and

Far fetched I can live with. I'm just sick of the same Londoncentric, middle class characters played by the same actors and actresses who 9 times out of 10 got successful off the back of nepotism.
What happened to the gritty TV drama the UK used to produce?
Wilson

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:08 pm

Wilson wrote:
Ray of Sunshine wrote:

It's too far-fetched and

Far fetched I can live with. I'm just sick of the same Londoncentric, middle class characters played by the same actors and actresses who 9 times out of 10 got successful off the back of nepotism.

The Sweeny? They did something similar with Life on Mars. Surely you liked that one.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Wilson » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:12 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Wilson wrote:
Ray of Sunshine wrote:

It's too far-fetched and

The Sweeny? They did something similar with Life on Mars. Surely you liked that one.

Never seen The Sweeny. Life on Mars was OK but that's hardly recent. The last few years have been awful for British tele.
Wilson

Postby Ray of Sunshine » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:16 pm

Wilson wrote:[

I definitely could have done without Gina Mckee again, she's in every other bloody British TV drama.

And not in this one but too many, John Simm, who can only play one character, himself, exactly the same performance in everything.
Ray of Sunshine

Postby Ray of Sunshine » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:19 pm

Wilson wrote:
Never seen The Sweeny. Life on Mars was OK but that's hardly recent. The last few years have been awful for British tele.

The Sweeney isn't recent either, it was a 70s show.

First 2 series of Line of Duty were good, and first series of The Fall, Broadchurch and Happy Valley.

That's another thing, even the good dramas they make they can't keep the quality up for long.
Ray of Sunshine

Postby Wilson » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:26 pm

Ray of Sunshine wrote:
Wilson wrote:

The Sweeney isn't recent either, it was a 70s show.

First 2 series of Line of Duty were good, and first series of The Fall, Broadchurch and Happy Valley.

That's another thing, even the good dramas they make they can't keep the quality up for long.

I mostly watch films and Netflix now tbh.
Wilson

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:03 pm

Wilson wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Wilson wrote:
Ray of Sunshine wrote:

It's too far-fetched and

Which gritty tv dramas are you talking about?
Lady Murasaki

Postby Ray of Sunshine » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:01 pm

Boys from the Black Stuff, Cracker, Prime Suspect, Band of Gold, the Dennis Potter stuff, the Alan Clarke stuff.

There's been more fluffy stuff as well but 70s and 80s drama was grittier.

I bought this when it came out, not cheap but loads of good stuff, may be able to download it now and not shell out.

https://shop.bfi.org.uk/dissent-disrupt ... 4XG1RXPxdg
Ray of Sunshine

Postby Wilson » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:09 pm

Ray of Sunshine wrote:Boys from the Black Stuff, Cracker, Prime Suspect, Band of Gold, the Dennis Potter stuff, the Alan Clarke stuff.

I bought this when it came out, not cheap but loads of good stuff, may be able to download it now and not shell out.

Yep, where are the Alan Bleasdales of 2018?? Where are northern ppl full stop? The majority of ordinary British people aren't represented at all anymore.
Wilson

Postby Wilson » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:15 pm

Watching Better Call Saul atm. It's slow but I love it. There's lots of rubbish on Netflix but worth paying the £6.99 per mth for gems like this.
Wilson

Postby Nucks » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:56 am

Wilson wrote:Watching Better Call Saul atm. It's slow but I love it. There's lots of rubbish on Netflix but worth paying the £6.99 per mth for gems like this.

I’m struggling a bit with this season. Loved Breaking Bad and the first two seasons of BCS, but with Chuck gone there’s a dynamic missing. And doesn’t it seem like Kim has been in a cast for about 2 years? :laughing: Jimmy and Mike are very watchable but the others ... meh. The two guys with the funny cowboy boots, I want to find them interesting but the lack of dialogue seems lazy on the writers’ part. I suppose they want us to feel that it adds an air of mystery to them.
Nucks

Postby Lady Murasaki » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:57 am

Ray of Sunshine wrote:Boys from the Black Stuff, Cracker, Prime Suspect, Band of Gold, the Dennis Potter stuff, the Alan Clarke stuff.

Cracker and Prime Suspect are the ones I’ve seen and they don’t seem as gritty now as they did back then. Dennis Potters works should be redone for tv for a newer, younger audience.
The younger viewers now watch films on the net and block series on Netflix. They don’t actually depend on terrestrial tv stations like BBC for their gritty dramas. Maybe the older generation need to realise the BBC isn’t as big as it used to be.
Having said that some the foreign dramas on BBC 4 have been good, More 4 and Sky Atlantic air the better shows.
Lady Murasaki

PreviousNext

Return to TV And Radio