A Columbo Reboot.

A Columbo Reboot.

Postby Cactus Jack » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:36 pm

Of all the Cop shows of the seventies I liked, and there were a few, none have held quite the same place in the public's - or my - heart as Columbo.

There were in fact two actors who played Columbo before Peter Falk, I'll leave it to your ability to Google to find out who they were, but it was Peter Falk who made the role his own. So much so that 'The Columbo Question' is now an actual expression used in law, politics and media.

For those not familiar with the shows Columbo would ramble through a series of questions appearing to be slightly confused and baffled, often seemingly convinced by the murderer's innocent explanation of potentially incriminating evidence, his questions deliberately leaving an escape route and then 'Just one more thing...'
The real purpose of the questioning when the murderer is off guard and thinks s/he has navigated to storm.

Of course these days everything gets rebooted and, almost equally, of course roles don't necessarily go to someone of the same race or gender as the orignal actor.

If the rumours are to be believed, and I have my doubts, the two actors in the running for Columbo 2 are Mark Ruffalo of Avengers/Huk fame and Natasha Lyonne most famous for Orange is the New Black.

So who should it be?

You might as well ask who should take the role of Rick Blaine in a remake of Casablanca.

You don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind and you don't remake Columbo - that's Peter Falk's role and if you want to make a show inspired by it, celebrating it or paying homage to it that's a fine thing to do but Peter Falk IS Columbo. Accept no substitutes before or after he took the role.
Cactus Jack

Re: A Columbo Reboot.

Postby common sense » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:15 pm

Totally agree. Falk was and always will be Columbo. Should not be remade. I for one have never seen a remake episode of Hawaii Five-O as I affectionately remember the original with Jack Lord. Maybe I'm missing out but don't care.
common sense

Postby Raggamuffin » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:33 pm

Columbo is one of my all-time favourite programmes, and it's very difficult to imagine it without Peter Falk. It would be like Jonathan Creek without Alan Davies or Monk without Tony Shalhoub. Sidekicks come and go of course (although Columbo didn't have one), and that doesn't necessarily spoil the programme, but I'm not sure about changing the main actor. Still, I'd give it a go and see.
Raggamuffin

Postby Stooo » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:37 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Columbo is one of my all-time favourite programmes, and it's very difficult to imagine it without Peter Falk. It would be like Jonathan Creek without Alan Davies or Monk without Tony Shalhoub. Sidekicks come and go of course (although Columbo didn't have one), and that doesn't necessarily spoil the programme, but I'm not sure about changing the main actor. Still, I'd give it a go and see.

They did a good adaptation with Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes in a contemporary setting, it may work if a similar approach is used to this classic.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby xtras1 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:09 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Of all the Cop shows of the seventies I liked, and there were a few, none have held quite the same place in the public's - or my - heart as Columbo.

There were in fact two actors who played Columbo before Peter Falk, I'll leave it to your ability to Google to find out who they were, but it was Peter Falk who made the role his own. So much so that 'The Columbo Question' is now an actual expression used in law, politics and media.

For those not familiar with the shows Columbo would ramble through a series of questions appearing to be slightly confused and baffled, often seemingly convinced by the murderer's innocent explanation of potentially incriminating evidence, his questions deliberately leaving an escape route and then 'Just one more thing...'
The real purpose of the questioning when the murderer is off guard and thinks s/he has navigated to storm.

Of course these days everything gets rebooted and, almost equally, of course roles don't necessarily go to someone of the same race or gender as the orignal actor.

If the rumours are to be believed, and I have my doubts, the two actors in the running for Columbo 2 are Mark Ruffalo of Avengers/Huk fame and Natasha Lyonne most famous for Orange is the New Black.

So who should it be?

You might as well ask who should take the role of Rick Blaine in a remake of Casablanca.

You don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind and you don't remake Columbo - that's Peter Falk's role and if you want to make a show inspired by it, celebrating it or paying homage to it that's a fine thing to do but Peter Falk IS Columbo. Accept no substitutes before or after he took the role.

Of all the constant Repeats they churn out on tv it's never columbo, you may get the odd episode here or there it's needed!

Who do you think would be a good stand in?
xtras1

Postby Stooo » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:16 pm

xtras1 wrote:Of all the constant Repeats they churn out on tv it's never columbo, you may get the odd episode here or there it's needed!

Who do you think would be a good stand in?

Harvey Keitel, totally.
Stooo
Site Admin

Return to TV And Radio