What have the Tories achieved

Re: What have the Tories achieved

Postby Cannydc » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:58 am

MungoBrush wrote:
Cannydc wrote:
MungoBrush wrote:
Cannydc wrote:Why would much greater use of public transport lead to worse roads under Labour ?


So you think that if under 25's got free bus passes, they would sell their cars and use buses?
Are you serious?


For work ?

Damned right they would use free busses. They can use their cars at weekends.


I dont believe you
If they switch to bus transport - are their monthly car repayments going to decrease? No
Is their insurance going to go down? No
Will the MoT be cheaper? No
Will servicing costs be lower? No
Will depreciation be less? No

All they will save would be a few £ each month on petrol.

And if you think that an under-25 is going to switch to busses for a few £ savings, then you must be living on another planet

The only people who will save will be people who already use busses
So, no impact on road wear
None whatsoever.


Well, you have certainly proven your stupidity beyond any measure of doubt.

Of course their insurance will drop, via a combination of lower annual mileage and no need for business cover.

Lower mileage each year = lower depreciation costs - currently 8-10p per mile for an average car.

Services will be spread out, therefore overall annual costs will be less.

The MOT won't be cheaper - but the costs of replacement tyres, wipers and other wearing components drops.

And finally, you haven't mentioned the good being done to the planet and local air quality - something younger drivers are far more likely to consider.

Honestly, by your post I could believe you aren't old enough to own a car....
User avatar
Cannydc
 
Posts: 11468
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: What have the Tories achieved

Postby MungoBrush » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:52 pm

Cannydc wrote:
MungoBrush wrote:
Cannydc wrote:
MungoBrush wrote:
Cannydc wrote:Why would much greater use of public transport lead to worse roads under Labour ?


So you think that if under 25's got free bus passes, they would sell their cars and use buses?
Are you serious?


For work ?

Damned right they would use free busses. They can use their cars at weekends.


I dont believe you
If they switch to bus transport - are their monthly car repayments going to decrease? No
Is their insurance going to go down? No
Will the MoT be cheaper? No
Will servicing costs be lower? No
Will depreciation be less? No

All they will save would be a few £ each month on petrol.

And if you think that an under-25 is going to switch to busses for a few £ savings, then you must be living on another planet

The only people who will save will be people who already use busses
So, no impact on road wear
None whatsoever.


Well, you have certainly proven your stupidity beyond any measure of doubt.

Of course their insurance will drop, via a combination of lower annual mileage and no need for business cover.

Lower mileage each year = lower depreciation costs - currently 8-10p per mile for an average car.

Services will be spread out, therefore overall annual costs will be less.

The MOT won't be cheaper - but the costs of replacement tyres, wipers and other wearing components drops.

And finally, you haven't mentioned the good being done to the planet and local air quality - something younger drivers are far more likely to consider.

Honestly, by your post I could believe you aren't old enough to own a car....



Here are some real numbers that blow your case out of the water
If you can't understand them, get an adult to help:

Number of 18 to 25 year olds 5.642 million
People who drive to work 36%
Number of 18 to 25 yo's who drive to work 2.031 million
Average commuter trip 10 miles
Number of working days per year 230
Total miles driven by 18 to 25yo's to and from work 9.342 billion
Total miles driven by everyone on UK roads per year 323.7 billion
Proportion of total miles driven by 18 to 25 yo's to and from work 2.8%

Annual budget spent on roads by all authorities (2016/7) £9.77 billion

Savings in budget if every single 18 to 25yo switches from driving to busses £273 million
Cost of free bus passes £1.4 billion

This is your very best scenario
It assumes that road building and maintenance costs are proportional to usage
It assumes that every one of those 2.03 million who get free bus passes will leave their cars at home
All numbers sourced from RAC

Facts are there.
You are the stupid looking one now.
User avatar
MungoBrush
 
Posts: 727
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:03 pm

Re: What have the Tories achieved

Postby Cannydc » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:08 pm

Getting young people into THE HABIT of using public transport....

You idiots on the right really are clueless when it comes to seeing the big picture, aren't you ??
User avatar
Cannydc
 
Posts: 11468
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: What have the Tories achieved

Postby MungoBrush » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:21 pm

Cannydc wrote:Getting young people into THE HABIT of using public transport....

You idiots on the right really are clueless when it comes to seeing the big picture, aren't you ??


Your case destroyed by actual facts once again.
So once again, you resort to insults because you have no constructive intelligent response.

Lets spend £1.4 billion to save £273 million
Yep - that sounds like typical Labour economics.
User avatar
MungoBrush
 
Posts: 727
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:03 pm

Re: What have the Tories achieved

Postby Cannydc » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:13 pm

MungoBrush wrote:
Cannydc wrote:Getting young people into THE HABIT of using public transport....

You idiots on the right really are clueless when it comes to seeing the big picture, aren't you ??


Your case destroyed by actual facts once again.
So once again, you resort to insults because you have no constructive intelligent response.

Lets spend £1.4 billion to save £273 million
Yep - that sounds like typical Labour economics.


You aren't quoting facts. You are quoting unsubstantiated figures which you have failed to reference.

You (and your figures) completely ignore environmental gains.

You (and your figures) completely ignore future trends.

You ignore the figure of 13,000,000 people aged 18-25, not all are drivers and less will be tempted to ever buy a car.

You ignore the fact that the scheme is ONLY for local authorities who introduce public ownership of bus services or franchising. So it won't be nationwide.

Perhaps when you get round to reading the whole story, you will be better able to comment sensibly.
User avatar
Cannydc
 
Posts: 11468
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: What have the Tories achieved

Postby MungoBrush » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:21 pm

Cannydc wrote:
MungoBrush wrote:
Cannydc wrote:Getting young people into THE HABIT of using public transport....

You idiots on the right really are clueless when it comes to seeing the big picture, aren't you ??


Your case destroyed by actual facts once again.
So once again, you resort to insults because you have no constructive intelligent response.

Lets spend £1.4 billion to save £273 million
Yep - that sounds like typical Labour economics.


You aren't quoting facts. You are quoting unsubstantiated figures which you have failed to reference.

You (and your figures) completely ignore environmental gains.

You (and your figures) completely ignore future trends.

You ignore the figure of 13,000,000 people aged 18-25, not all are drivers and less will be tempted to ever buy a car.

You ignore the fact that the scheme is ONLY for local authorities who introduce public ownership of bus services or franchising. So it won't be nationwide.

Perhaps when you get round to reading the whole story, you will be better able to comment sensibly.



Wrong again - as usual
The number of 18 to 24 year olds in the UK is 5.642 million according to the government's Office of National Statistics.
NOT 13 Million.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlab ... s/jn5q/lms
User avatar
MungoBrush
 
Posts: 727
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:03 pm

Re: What have the Tories achieved

Postby Cannydc » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:17 pm

Apologies, you are correct about the population.

However, the point stands. Not all are drivers and less will be tempted to ever buy a car.

The quote I used was this; "The party said its research could help up to 13 million young people save £1,000 a year, based on the average price of a bus ticket in England."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... bus-travel
User avatar
Cannydc
 
Posts: 11468
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: What have the Tories achieved

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:23 pm

Getting busses in the city is one thing but getting them out here is a no no for most people.
Most of the main roads here are in excellent condition and well and often maintained.
The side roads get seriously neglected.
I haven't been on a bus for years and can't see it happening before I croak it.
I haven't bothered collecting my free bus pass.
I often travel up and down N Wales.
Wrexham Bangor and everything in between.
To go from Colwyn Bay to Wrexham and them from Wrexham to Bala and from Bala to Bangor would at a guess take me 10 hours 12 hours?
I can do all that in three by car.
I think the car is here to stay.
Maybe bussing it can be done in the city.
User avatar
Rolluplostinspace
 
Posts: 4015
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: What have the Tories achieved

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:03 pm

What have the Tories achieved?
They have caused huge division and chaos in the country.
We are the laughing stock of the world.
User avatar
Rolluplostinspace
 
Posts: 4015
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: What have the Tories achieved

Postby MungoBrush » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:32 pm

Cannydc wrote:Apologies, you are correct about the population.

However, the point stands. Not all are drivers and less will be tempted to ever buy a car.

The quote I used was this; "The party said its research could help up to 13 million young people save £1,000 a year, based on the average price of a bus ticket in England."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... bus-travel


13 million is possibly the estimate of the total population under 25 - not just car driving age

Your argument that getting drivers out of their cars and into busses by giving them free passes will lead to lower road maintenance costs doesn't stand up
If this policy ever gets implemented as proposed by Corbyn, our roads will get worse.
User avatar
MungoBrush
 
Posts: 727
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:03 pm

Re: What have the Tories achieved

Postby McAz » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:34 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:What have the Tories achieved?
They have caused huge division and chaos in the country.
We are the laughing stock of the world.


Wait till Rees-Moog, Boris or Gove is PM. :laughing:
User avatar
McAz
 
Posts: 28700
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:57 am

Re: What have the Tories achieved

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:41 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:What have the Tories achieved?
They have caused huge division and chaos in the country.
We are the laughing stock of the world.


Speak for yourself.

Anyhow bot. Another day with labour in opposition and behind in the polls

:cuppaT:

What have labour achieved in last 8 years?
A. Nothing. They have been in opposition and behind in the polls :cuppaT:
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: What have the Tories achieved

Postby MungoBrush » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:44 pm

McAz wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:What have the Tories achieved?
They have caused huge division and chaos in the country.
We are the laughing stock of the world.


Wait till Rees-Moog, Boris or Gove is PM. :laughing:


Well, Corbyn will never be PM
6 shadow ministers resigned yesterday
He won't have anyone left soon

Government in waiting?
It's Corbyn that is the laughing stock
User avatar
MungoBrush
 
Posts: 727
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:03 pm

Re: What have the Tories achieved

Postby McAz » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:54 pm

MungoBrush wrote:
McAz wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:What have the Tories achieved?
They have caused huge division and chaos in the country.
We are the laughing stock of the world.


Wait till Rees-Moog, Boris or Gove is PM. :laughing:


Well, Corbyn will never be PM
6 shadow ministers resigned yesterday
He won't have anyone left soon

Government in waiting?
It's Corbyn that is the laughing stock

Don't know - don't care.
User avatar
McAz
 
Posts: 28700
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:57 am

Re: What have the Tories achieved

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:30 pm

McAz wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:What have the Tories achieved?
They have caused huge division and chaos in the country.
We are the laughing stock of the world.


Wait till Rees-Moog, Boris or Gove is PM. :laughing:


At least May has been strong and stable. :gigglesnshit: :gigglesnshit:
User avatar
Guest
 

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests