WHO OR WHAT IS BELLINGCAT ?

Re: WHO OR WHAT IS BELLINGCAT ?

Postby Stooo » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:31 pm

Cannydc wrote:
Stooo wrote:This thread may help:

It doesn't.

It sounds a bit like this....

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/ex-daily ... -laureate/

Did they say something bad about Jezza? I remember when you despaired about his appointment as PL. Interestingly I have an online game with some mates where we take a drink when he mentions brexit, we've been sober for a while...

Right, let's see this for what it is, internet activism from back in the mid-2000's. I was an avid observer of groups like anonymous and their battle against Scientology, Occupy and even taking it into the Arab Spring and beyond and they all had a common thread: no actual leadership. Bellingcat appears to be more for that form of protest and information on a non-partisan ticket, if that involves criticism of stuff that you support then so be it!

A lot of the criticism of the group tends to be from users and bots who had recently supported Leave and Trump and who are perhaps savvy enough to know how to manipulate people online. Follow the money, I bet it will end in Roubles :wink:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Grafenwalder » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:45 pm

Cannydc wrote:Your point re. Gareth Williams is well taken.

My view is that 'the authorities' (in this case, HM Government) would have absolutely LOVED to stand up in parliament and crowed that they knew who the Salisbury pair really were.

Presumably our spooks would be obliged to brief the PM fully, if they were the ones to find out. She couldn't resist passing it on, that's for sure. So, Bellingcat outpointed MI6, GCHQ et al. Which either points to them being very lucky, or a very polished, professional unit, well financed and with some very good links in high places. Your choice...

I'm inclined to believe what the Russian Ambassador said. No admittance from HMG, but also no denial..at least not yet.

Where the US love to openly boast about their intelligence (they can't keep a damn thing secret!), UK is the absolute opposite and highly secretive. Look how long Bletchley Park remained secret long after the end of ww2 when all it's work was done. Many who worked there, not even their own families knew 'what daddy/mummy did' during the war because they were strictly bound under the Official Secrets Act. They were Churchills "geese that never cackled".

The Gareth Williams case fascinated me for a long time and i very much doubt anyone will ever know the truth behind what really happened. GCHQ, MI5 and HMG have made sure of that.

There's a case i've been 'poking my nose' around in for a few years concerning someone who once worked at GCHQ and was involved in espionage. I'm in regular contact with someone i know could easily put me in touch with him but she's refused. It's a case i feel strongly about as he got sent down for a very lengthy sentence where people like Anthony Blunt who committed the same offence simply had his title removed. Blunt had the right 'connections' in the Establishment..this other guy didn't.
Grafenwalder

Postby Stooo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:25 pm

QED:

Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Grafenwalder » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:16 pm

This tweet on Europols site about that is interesting

Grafenwalder

Postby Stooo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:26 pm

Grafenwalder wrote:This tweet on Europols site about that is interesting

The whole thread is full of stuff like that as well as a thank you from Interpol. From what I've read so far, Bellingcat is a force for good.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Grafenwalder » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:47 pm

Stooo wrote:
Grafenwalder wrote:This tweet on Europols site about that is interesting

The whole thread is full of stuff like that as well as a thank you from Interpol. From what I've read so far, Bellingcat is a force for good.

Yeah i just found their methods in analysing pretty fascinating on that clip, though despite profiling through Google earth they got pointed in the exact location by a tip off from "a Cameroon source". Hhmmm!! A disillusioned ex-military?

Re Bellingcat good/bad, who knows? I'd like to believe the former but then we're always told GCHQ/MI5/MI6 are the 'good guys' yet i still feel GCHQ know much more about what really happened to Gareth Williams than what was allowed out in the public domain. Too many unanswered questions which were too convenient.
Grafenwalder

Postby Stooo » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:37 pm

Active this week, something's happening.

Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:58 pm

GRU thread:

Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:23 pm

:smilin:
Stooo
Site Admin