Britain's Early Big Freeze

Re: Britain's Early Big Freeze

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:44 pm

Stooo wrote:
Babycheeks wrote:
Stooo wrote:
And our winters aren't that cold. There are seasons for when people pass away and it's not really reliant on the weather.

Social factors seem more prevalent and of course the flu season is significant.

Is it just hype that more old people die in cold winters?

People die after Christmas, they hold on for their own reasons and simply stop trying after. A last Christmas with people you love around you is something to live for, a bleak February when you're ill, tired and ready to depart this veil of tears doesn't seem like an aspiration of sorts. Sometimes people simply give up.

The majority of deaths are in nursing homes and palliative care units in Hospitals, very few people die alone at home nowadays. They die when they are ready in the care of others.

Yea, that would make sense, but how sad is that!
Lady Murasaki

Postby Stooo » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:48 pm

Babycheeks wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Babycheeks wrote:
Stooo wrote:
And our winters aren't that cold. There are seasons for when people pass away and it's not really reliant on the weather.

People die after Christmas, they hold on for their own reasons and simply stop trying after. A last Christmas with people you love around you is something to live for, a bleak February when you're ill, tired and ready to depart this veil of tears doesn't seem like an aspiration of sorts. Sometimes people simply give up.

The majority of deaths are in nursing homes and palliative care units in Hospitals, very few people die alone at home nowadays. They die when they are ready in the care of others.

I don't see it as sad, it's our final inevitable journey. We all have to die and it seems to be when we have had enough of living, that's why early deaths due to accidents and other outside factors are so difficult to come to terms with.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:53 pm

Stooo wrote:
I don't see it as sad, it's our final inevitable journey. We all have to die and it seems to be when we have had enough of living, that's why early deaths due to accidents and other outside factors are so difficult to come to terms with.

I say it's sad because they hold on during christmas when close people are around them but then give up afterwards because they're lonely.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Snuffleupagus » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:56 pm

Stooo wrote:
Babycheeks wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Babycheeks wrote:
Stooo wrote:

I agree.

Also, I had someone close die on Christmas Day, was quite fitting really with their church connections and such strong faith.
Snuffleupagus

Postby Snuffleupagus » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Babycheeks wrote:
Stooo wrote:

I say it's sad because they hold on during christmas when close people are around them but then give up afterwards because they're lonely.

Yeah, but if they're old/ill and have to go sometime...
Snuffleupagus

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:00 pm

Snuffleupagus wrote:
Babycheeks wrote:
Stooo wrote:

They aren't dying happy so that's sad.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Stooo » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:00 pm

Babycheeks wrote:
Stooo wrote:

They give up because they're tired and have had enough. There are some isolated stories in the press about neglect but these are in the vast minority. Most people go gently into that dark night.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:01 pm

Babycheeks wrote:
Snuffleupagus wrote:
Babycheeks wrote:
Stooo wrote:

You would be surprised. The passing of someone is always sad.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:07 pm

Stooo wrote:
Babycheeks wrote:
Snuffleupagus wrote:
Babycheeks wrote:
Stooo wrote:

You would be surprised. The passing of someone is always sad.

I know it's inevitable but dying unhappy seems worse somehow.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Snuffleupagus » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:09 pm

Stooo wrote:
Babycheeks wrote:
Stooo wrote:

They give up because they're tired and have had enough. There are some isolated stories in the press about neglect but these are in the vast minority. Most people go gently into that dark night.

What a beautiful phrase.
Snuffleupagus

Postby Stooo » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:12 pm

Babycheeks wrote:

Screaming in agony when you're in charge of your opium pump makes death a welcome release.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:13 pm

Snuffleupagus wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Babycheeks wrote:
Stooo wrote:

What a beautiful phrase.

Thank you, I remembered it from somewhere and it seemed fitting.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Snuffleupagus » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:17 pm

Stooo wrote:
Snuffleupagus wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Babycheeks wrote:
Stooo wrote:

What a beautiful phrase.

There's a Dylan Thomas poem, but that's about the opposite. I prefer your version.
Snuffleupagus

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:21 pm

Stooo wrote:
Babycheeks wrote:

Screaming in agony when you're in charge of your opium pump makes death a welcome release.

I'd prefer to pop my clogs in the middle of a party! :Wiiiine!:
Lady Murasaki

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:21 pm

Stooo wrote:
Snuffleupagus wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Babycheeks wrote:
Stooo wrote:

What a beautiful phrase.

Dylan Thomas
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

Youre's is better stooo

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs