Middle Class To Dolescum. Is This The Future For Many?

Middle Class To Dolescum. Is This The Future For Many?

Postby Stooo » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:43 am

The children still have pony lessons, she's kept on the cleaner, but, financially AND emotionally, her gilded world is falling apart. One woman's story of how fragile our middle-class lives can be. . .

At supper one day, our eight-year-old daughter Emily announces that she has an idea. ‘It’s about a new job for Daddy,’ she says, ‘I saw it on the back of a bus. Daddy, you could train as a bus driver and earn £125 a day.’

My husband, Andy, winces. My eyes fill with tears. He’s got a History degree from Cambridge, a Masters degree in Business, and years of senior experience in strategic management. Bus driving wasn’t exactly the future he’d planned.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... z1Z9VBzqBy

It looks like some of the white collars in this country are going to have to get their hands dirty.
Stooo
Site Admin

Re: Middle Class To Dolescum. Is This The Future For Many?

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:50 am

Stooo wrote:
The children still have pony lessons, she's kept on the cleaner, but, financially AND emotionally, her gilded world is falling apart. One woman's story of how fragile our middle-class lives can be. . .

At supper one day, our eight-year-old daughter Emily announces that she has an idea. ‘It’s about a new job for Daddy,’ she says, ‘I saw it on the back of a bus. Daddy, you could train as a bus driver and earn £125 a day.’

My husband, Andy, winces. My eyes fill with tears. He’s got a History degree from Cambridge, a Masters degree in Business, and years of senior experience in strategic management. Bus driving wasn’t exactly the future he’d planned.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... z1Z9VBzqBy

It looks like some of the white collars in this country are going to have to get their hands dirty.

yeah they are so archetypical middle class, with a cleaner pony lessons

i'd agree they are upper middle

tell the bloke there are loads of decent jobs in the Guardian :gigglesnshit:

Postby Northern » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:53 am

I always think that too many people in this world live a materialistic lifestyle and focus way to much on "keeping up with the Jones's". It is unfortunate that many have raised their children in the same manner. So when bad times come upon them instead of survival mode kicking in and doing whatever is needed to provide for the family, pride instead kicks into place and they feel they are too good, or too qualified for menial jobs.
Isn't this what happened in the 50s, when stuck up their own arse people thought they were above jobs like railway porters, etc, which is why the government ended up advertising for workers abroad?
Northern

Postby syntactic ambiguity » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:00 pm

Northern wrote:I always think that too many people in this world live a materialistic lifestyle and focus way to much on "keeping up with the Jones's". It is unfortunate that many have raised their children in the same manner. So when bad times come upon them instead of survival mode kicking in and doing whatever is needed to provide for the family, pride instead kicks into place and they feel they are too good, or too qualified for menial jobs.
Isn't this what happened in the 50s, when stuck up their own arse people thought they were above jobs like railway porters, etc, which is why the government ended up advertising for workers abroad?

you won't see them fuckers shopping at primark
syntactic ambiguity

Postby Northern » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:05 pm

syntactic ambiguity wrote:
Northern wrote:I always think that too many people in this world live a materialistic lifestyle and focus way to much on "keeping up with the Jones's". It is unfortunate that many have raised their children in the same manner. So when bad times come upon them instead of survival mode kicking in and doing whatever is needed to provide for the family, pride instead kicks into place and they feel they are too good, or too qualified for menial jobs.

So

:dunno:
Northern

Postby Stooo » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:08 pm

You will once the savings run out. I think they pay eight quid an hour for bus drivers around here.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby syntactic ambiguity » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:08 pm

So

:dunno:

just an observation :)
syntactic ambiguity

Postby Northern » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:12 pm

:thumbsup:
Northern

Postby Snuffleupagus » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:14 pm

He's been unemployed for years (well, apart from the odd job here and there), and they still employ a cleaner? WTF? :roll:
Snuffleupagus

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:26 pm

But at least they're employing someone else so that's fair enough. If they sacked the cleaner that's less income for her and a knock-on effect on someone else, isn't it

She is working and he is working when he can find it. He's not claiming benefits so really, whatever changes they're making to their lifestyle are not affecting anyone else anyway, so why all the criticism? :dunno:

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:37 pm

my heart bleeds 4 them

is there a website were we can donate to them

:shame:
Big Fat Frosty

Postby Text » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:56 pm

Frank Black wrote:my heart bleeds 4 them

is there a website were we can donate to them

:shame:

Yup, I'll organise a whip-round. All these toffs down to their last million or so, I feel their pain. :bawlin:
Text

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs