Dad sues Facebook. WTF??

Dad sues Facebook. WTF??

Postby Snuffleupagus » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:21 pm

Dad of girl, 12, sues Facebook over her suggestive photos

A Northern Ireland father is suing Facebook over suggestive photos posted of his 12-year-old daughter on the social networking site.

He said the material, put on the internet by his daughter, has put her in danger from child sex abusers.

The site requires members to be over the age of 13, although it does not use any checks.

The father's solicitor, Hilary Carmichael, said the company was unable to uphold its own policy.

"It relies on children stating their correct age and it doesn't have any checks in place," she said

"My own personal view is that Facebook isn't suitable for under-18s, but the company isn't even able to uphold its own policy of keeping under-13s out

"An age check, like asking for a passport number would be a simple measure for Facebook to implement."

Ms Carmichael said the images posted were "sexually explicit".

"She appears heavily made-up, she appears in a provocative pose and she appears much older than her 12 years," she said.

'Guilty of negligence'
As well as posting sexually explicit material, the girl also gave personal details including where she lived and the school she attended.

The writ lodged in Belfast High Court on Monday alleged that Facebook had been "guilty of negligence" and had created "a risk of sexual and physical harm" to the child.

The case could see the company facing a large compensation payout if it is successful.

Ms Carmichael explained that the girl was personally responsible for posting the images and continued posting on a new page after her father shut the original down.

As the 12-year-old was in the voluntary care of the Northern Health and Social Care Trust when the images were posted, the writ also names the trust as a defendant.

Child protection expert Jim Gamble said Facebook's age policy was difficult to check.

"Under-13s create a real problem because it is absolutely impossible in the current set of standards to be sure about the age of anyone because children will lie," he said.

He said this particular case would be interesting for a number of reasons.

"It is a complex set of relationships because, of course there is a duty of care for the company, a clear duty of care for parents and a clear duty of care for anyone in whose care a child is put," he said.

He added although Facebook had come "a long way", he did not believe its system worked as well as it could and said he would be following the case closely to see if the site and the trust were brought to account.

The BBC contacted Facebook but has not yet received a response.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-14803664

Bloody madness, I hope he gets laughed out of court.

The only part I kinda agree with is this -

As the 12-year-old was in the voluntary care of the Northern Health and Social Care Trust when the images were posted, the writ also names the trust as a defendant.

- because perhaps those responsible for the girl's care and well-being should have had better control on what she was accessing, especially as the father had already shut one page down (that's assuming that the Care Trust had been made aware, of course).
Snuffleupagus

Re: Dad sues Facebook. WTF??

Postby Cactus Jack » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:47 pm

I would hold both facebook and the Northern Care Trust accountable.

Children will always push boundaries and break rules, it's a part of growing up, but allowing a pre-teen who is already vulnerable, she was in care, to open herself up to abuse in this way is not something that can be tolerated. When all is said and done it is simplicity itself to ask for some proof of age and it's not as if facebook can't afford to put the checks in place.
Cactus Jack

Postby butt hole road » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:00 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:I would hold both facebook and the Northern Care Trust accountable.

Children will always push boundaries and break rules, it's a part of growing up, but allowing a pre-teen who is already vulnerable, she was in care, to open herself up to abuse in this way is not something that can be tolerated. When all is said and done it is simplicity itself to ask for some proof of age and it's not as if facebook can't afford to put the checks in place.

it wasn't " tolerated " numb nuts
her father shut down the original page and she opened up another one :roll:
butt hole road

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:21 pm

moderate face book!!
why on earth would the CIA ever let that happen..
:leer:
Big Fat Frosty

Postby Northern » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:23 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:I would hold both facebook and the Northern Care Trust accountable.

How difficult is it to put "Net NannY" monitoring software on a pc to make certain that kids are abiding by site T&C's etc, especially if in a care home?
Northern

Postby Snuffleupagus » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:12 pm

Proof of age could be asked for, but how could it realistically be verified, and those who wanted to would always find a way around the system wouldn't they?

Ohhhh...I've just thought...this could be a pro id cards argument for the government. :ooer:
Snuffleupagus

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:27 pm

Why is she in care Daddy?
Lady Murasaki

Postby KeithTas » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:15 pm

I'd sue Facebook as well after what they get up to, yest another abuse of internet power, Google are going down the same path, probably just ahead of them with their net tracking, we've had all the problems with Apple doing the same thing.

Looks like Microsoft are the only decent IT company left.
KeithTas

Postby Cactus Jack » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:48 pm

butt hole road wrote:

Which means both the care home and facebook failed not once but twice.

Were you trying to reinforce my point or was that just the outcome.
Cactus Jack

Postby Ellie-Jane » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:30 am

I don't think Facebook should be held accountable for this, no matter what verification system is put in place kids will find a way round it. The only people that should be accountable for this are those who had a duty of care for her. Who in there right mind allows a child unmonitored access to the internet and why were there no blocks in place to stop such sites being accessed in the first place?
Ellie-Jane

Postby KeithTas » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:11 am

Ellie-Jane wrote:I don't think Facebook should be held accountable for this, no matter what verification system is put in place kids will find a way round it. The only people that should be accountable for this are those who had a duty of care for her. Who in there right mind allows a child unmonitored access to the internet and why were there no blocks in place to stop such sites being accessed in the first place?

In light of recent revelations about Facebook they are like a cancer on the WWW. I predict members will leave in droves when all is revealled about their online activities, and trust me I'm no conspriracy theorist in any way shape or form. The latest online tracking after members have even logged out is despicable, it's despicable anyway, but once you have even logged out of a site that should be it.

Also beware Google is becoming EVIL.
KeithTas

Postby Northern » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:22 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
butt hole road wrote:

I was kinda agreeing with you

:mrgreen:
Northern

Postby Northern » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:24 am

KeithTas wrote:
Ellie-Jane wrote:I don't think Facebook should be held accountable for this, no matter what verification system is put in place kids will find a way round it. The only people that should be accountable for this are those who had a duty of care for her. Who in there right mind allows a child unmonitored access to the internet and why were there no blocks in place to stop such sites being accessed in the first place?

In light of recent revelations about Facebook they are like a cancer on the WWW. I predict members will leave in droves when all is revealled about their online activities, and trust me I'm no conspriracy theorist in any way shape or form. The latest online tracking after members have even logged out is despicable, it's despicable anyway, but once you have even logged out of a site that should be it.

What do you mean recent revelations? It has been known for ages that facebook, google and yahoo track their members
Northern

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:01 am

Northern wrote:
KeithTas wrote:

What do you mean recent revelations? It has been known for ages that facebook, google and yahoo track their members

Track them for what? Marketing? Not really an evil plot is it?
Lady Murasaki

Postby butt hole road » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:20 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
butt hole road wrote:

your original statement was,that it was "tolerated" which it clearly wasn't

how did they fail " twice" ? :dunno: the first time it was shut down

or are you being deliberately obtuse ? :gigglesnshit:
butt hole road

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs