80 MPH Speed Limit?

80 MPH Speed Limit?

Postby Stooo » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:48 am

The government has admitted that its proposal to increase the speed limit on motorways to 80mph would lead to more pollution and increase the risk of road deaths. Transport officials also told the Guardian that there would be no widespread roll out of 20mph limits in towns – a measure that is reportedly a concession to the Conservative's Lib Dem coalition partners.

Transport secretary Philip Hammond said the existing 70mph limit was "out of date", and that Britain needed to be "back in the fast lane of global economies". But the Department of Transport said that no impact assessment has been made of the proposed speed increase, only an "initial analysis".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2 ... sfeed=true

Is this a good idea considering the fact that cars are less efficient at highers speeds?

At the moment people are being encouraged to conserve energy whereas this proposal is surely a backwards step.
Stooo
Site Admin

Re: 80 MPH Speed Limit?

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:51 am

funny how u can go as fast as u like in germany
and theres no greater incidences of motorway accidents
car laws in this country are about revenue streams
than they are about safetly and the timely moving of commuters
Big Fat Frosty

Postby Northern » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:53 am

So 80 will become the new 90
More damage to the enviroment will be done due to more fuel consumption

But hey the government will make off it, from the extra fuel bought
Northern

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:20 am

Stooo wrote:
The government has admitted that its proposal to increase the speed limit on motorways to 80mph would lead to more pollution and increase the risk of road deaths. Transport officials also told the Guardian that there would be no widespread roll out of 20mph limits in towns – a measure that is reportedly a concession to the Conservative's Lib Dem coalition partners.

Transport secretary Philip Hammond said the existing 70mph limit was "out of date", and that Britain needed to be "back in the fast lane of global economies". But the Department of Transport said that no impact assessment has been made of the proposed speed increase, only an "initial analysis".

Is this a good idea considering the fact that cars are less efficient at highers speeds?

At the moment people are being encouraged to conserve energy whereas this proposal is surely a backwards step.

Only if people who have been specifically taught how to drive on motorways are the ONLY ones allowed to drive on them

When you compare motorway driving here to say Germany we are so far behind in basic technical knowledge like pulling in after overtaking. We are one of the worst countries for 'middle' lane drivers

Postby dove world » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:37 am

Northern wrote:So 80 will become the new 90

how will more damage be done to the environment by more fuel consumption ? :dunno:

just interested
dove world

Postby Northern » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:16 am

dove world wrote:

how will more damage be done to the environment by more fuel consumption ? :dunno:

just interested

DfT's initial analysis of the pollution increase resulting from an 80mph limit is 670,000 tonnes CO2/year, described as "modest" by officials, as it represents 1% of the total emissions from cars, small vans and motorbikes on all UK roads.

But the figure is challenged by analysis from the government's official climate change advisers. The analysis published by the Climate Change Committee in a report to parliament in June 2011 showed the proposed increase could add emissions of up to 2.2m tonnes CO2/year, more than three times higher.
A CCC spokeswoman said: "Based on this analysis, and the need for deep emissions cuts over the next decade to meet legally binding carbon budgets, the CCC recommended that the aim should be to enforce the existing limit, rather than increase it."
. "The transport sector does not have many big levers to pull in cutting emissions," she said. "Compared to other options, speed limit changes are very significant. We have finally seen a fall in transport emissions in recent years; a speed increase could directly counter that.
Northern

Postby ravy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:51 am

In the next 20-30 years most cars will have an electic engine so no exhaust emissions.
These motors can easily do a ton. (well over even).
I always drive flat out on Autobahns, Great fun.
Most accidents over here are caused by lorries overtaking each other and overloaded Caravans.
ravy

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:00 pm

ravy wrote:In the next 20-30 years most cars will have an electic engine so no exhaust emissions.
Most accidents over here are caused by lorries overtaking each other and overloaded Caravans.

Exactly and the media were going mental about petrol cars being banned from city centres by 2050

when that wasn't even going to happen

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:17 pm

Guest wrote:
ravy wrote:In the next 20-30 years most cars will have an electic engine so no exhaust emissions.

Exactly and the media were going mental about petrol cars being banned from city centres by 2050

when that wasn't even going to happen

i think all petrol cars will be banned by 2050 or closly thereafter
oil wont be viable fuel by then
itll cost too much
in the end plastic will be as rare as ivory
unless they find a new source

when it comes to this end
buy shares in dupont
they own the patent to making biodegradable plastic from hemp oil
Big Fat Frosty

Postby Wotsy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:50 pm

What! i thought it was 90mph anyway, so all them letters from the police that i havn't opened won't be to congratulate me on my driving :ohshi:
Wotsy

Postby Northern » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:33 pm

Wotsy wrote:

What! i thought it was 90mph anyway, so all them letters from the police that i havn't opened won't be to congratulate me on my driving :ohshi:

Do the police usually write congratulating you on something???? Hmmmmmm anything you want to share with us?

:whistle:
Northern

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:35 pm

Northern wrote:
Wotsy wrote:

Do the police usually write congratulating you on something???? Hmmmmmm anything you want to share with us?

the formula for a speeding ticket is 10% of limit + 2mph so 80 will be the new 90

Postby Wotsy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:49 pm

Northern wrote:
Wotsy wrote:

Yes i would like to share something actually, don't drive at 90mph, it's not big and it's not clever, :gigglesnshit: and not really northern, But they do like giving me points, so i must be doing something right :yess: :mrgreen:
Wotsy

Postby Snuffleupagus » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:15 pm

Guest wrote:
Stooo wrote:

Only if people who have been specifically taught how to drive on motorways are the ONLY ones allowed to drive on them

When you compare motorway driving here to say Germany we are so far behind in basic technical knowledge like pulling in after overtaking. We are one of the worst countries for 'middle' lane drivers

This. Only this morning I had the displeasure of being stuck behind lane hoggers on the motorway. Lane discipline needs to be taught and adhered to. :grrrrr:
Snuffleupagus

Postby art1hur1moh » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:41 pm

Stooo wrote:

At the moment people are being encouraged to conserve energy whereas this proposal is surely a backwards step.[/quote
]

Cars are more efficent at higher speeds than lower. It takes more energy to move two ton than to keep it moving.

I never understood why a cars designe wasn't limited to 20mph, 50mph and 120mph?

The weight and fuel consumption of a lighter car designed to reach a speed of no more than 20mph could not be used for local needs.

And the lager 120mph limited to being used at 80mph, it is definetly designed to use as much fuel as can be.

If you actually consider how often you get an oportunity to reach a consistant speed of more than 40-50mph, there is little point in increasing motorway limits by a measly 10mph. It is quite laghable!

What dose concern me is motorway pile ups are more common and can easly involve up to seventy vehicles. Not neglecting the arrogant ignorance of large (5-10 ton) vehicles stopping distances by general domestic drivers, I can see more laws comming from it! More likely directed towards commercial trucking companies!

If not, then increases in domestic licence costs as well as other abstract regulations that domestic drivers will be charged high prices for.
art1hur1moh

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs