The End Of GMT?

The End Of GMT?

Postby Stooo » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:44 am

The government is considering moving the UK's clocks forward by an hour for a three-year trial period.

Ministers are writing to counterparts in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland to seek a UK-wide consensus on a trial.

It would see the UK adopt Central European Time, with BST plus one hour in summer and GMT plus one in winter.

But a spokeswoman for the Scottish government said its "established position" was that there was "no case for a change to existing arrangements".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15490249

A bloody good idea IMO. I'll be driving home in the dark next week!
Stooo
Site Admin

Re: The End Of GMT?

Postby zedward » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:47 am

it has been tried and dispensed with before so why bother?
zedward

Postby Fenella » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:58 am

I'd like to see an end to all this clock changing. Moving the clock forward an hour in the spring makes little difference to me because it's lighter generally then anyway, but moving them back an hour in the Autumn is too much because it's already getting darker earlier and then it suddenly gets darker an hour earlier.

This new idea sounds like a lot of messing around though.
Fenella

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:12 am

I'm sure the rabid tabloids would just lurrrve to be on Berlin Time

Postby I hated that show » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:26 am

Daybreak is much better with that Bleakley bird :smilin:
I hated that show

Postby ravy » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:24 am

Changing the clocks is a waste of time! :bored:
ravy

Postby wutang » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:08 pm

Guest wrote:I'm sure the rabid tabloids would just lurrrve to be on Berlin Time

Imagine their reaction to being on Mecca Time

wutang

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:32 pm

Stupid idea. Leave things as they are. It's what we're all used to anyway and this way, we don't disadvantage any part of the country any further than they already are by the current situation.

To those of you who currently enjoy lighter mornings than the northern half of the country, just enjoy it for what it is. Likewise, those of us who have longer summer evenings see that as a trade off for longer darker mornings in winter. I don't particularly want it to be 10am before it gets properly light. That's the sort of thing that Shetland Islanders contend with already. Is it really fair to make it even later in the day before they see any proper daylight in winter?

Postby Ellie-Jane » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:39 pm

I see no useful purpose to changing the clocks as we do at the moment and removing the stupid system would be a great idea. It should have been done years ago.
Ellie-Jane

Postby Stooo » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:51 am

On this very subject....

Don't forget to put your clocks back this morning if you haven't already done so :razz:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Cannydc » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:10 am

The whole point is that we only get a set amount of daylight, no matter what the clocks say.

Shunting them back and forth is a completely pointless exercise. The people of Shetland simply move an hour of daylight from the end of the day to the beginning. If they have a problem with it not getting light until 10am, they can simply move things like school times BACK ONE HOUR to suit.

Much simpler them doing that than the whole of the UK having to shift to suit them and a few Scottish farmers.
Cannydc

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:38 am

Cannydc wrote:The whole point is that we only get a set amount of daylight, no matter what the clocks say.

Shunting them back and forth is a completely pointless exercise. The people of Shetland simply move an hour of daylight from the end of the day to the beginning. If they have a problem with it not getting light until 10am, they can simply move things like school times BACK ONE HOUR to suit.

Much simpler them doing that than the whole of the UK having to shift to suit them and a few Scottish farmers.

When they left it as it was in the 60s the accident/death rate rose because of accidents in the am rush hour, which was dark.

Postby Fenella » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:59 am

Guest wrote:
Cannydc wrote:The whole point is that we only get a set amount of daylight, no matter what the clocks say.

When they left it as it was in the 60s the accident/death rate rose because of accidents in the am rush hour, which was dark.

Didn't that just shift the incidence of road accidents to the afternoon/evening instead?
Fenella

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:03 am

No,it's not as simple as that. It depends on where you are located in the British Isles. The further North you go, the fewer hours of daylight you get in the winter months. So Shetland has fewer hours of daylight in winter than London does. In the depths of winter it is around only 6 hours they get.

Postby Cannydc » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:22 am

It is exactly as simple as that.

6 hours of daylight in midwinter equates to 9am to 3pm.

So either kids go to school in the dark, or come home in the dark.
Cannydc

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs