Kelloggs-Rickets

Postby Major Misunderstanding » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:54 pm

Kellogg's adds vitamin D to fight rickets

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... ition.html

Bleedin eck, we ate going backwardz.
Major Misunderstanding

Re: Kelloggs-Rickets

Postby wutang » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:09 pm

To combat ricketts parents should start feeding their kids more sugar laden cereal...

so they then develop diabetes

hopefully McDonalds will then start adding insulin to its happy meals :bell:
wutang

Postby Text » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:31 pm

Hi wutang,

True, too much sugar isn't good for small kids .... but it would not make them diabetic. The sort of diabetes they get at that age is type 1, which is intrinsic, & not caused by diet or any other outside factors.

Cereal manufactureres addressed the sugar problem a good while back & it's unusual to see any brekkie cereal containing huge amounts of refined sugar. Any active kid would rapidly burn off all the calories from bowl of cereal anyhow.
Text

Postby Text » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:37 pm

What else can you give little kids for brekkie that does NOT contain sugar?? :dunno: If you give them toast or porridge instead they will expect a blob of jam on top. They're often slow & grumpy in the mornings, & it usually takes a "a spoonful of sugar" to coax some brekkie down their throats quickly, else they'll be late for school. :smilin:
Text

Postby Text » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:43 pm

& Btw insulin is a protein, thus it cannot be added to food & taken by mouth ..... stomach acids would
destroy it within seconds of swallowing it !! So it has to be administered by injection.
Text

Postby Stooo » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:49 pm

Canary wrote:What else can you give little kids for brekkie that does NOT contain sugar?? :dunno: If you give them toast or porridge instead they will expect a blob of jam on top. They're often slow & grumpy in the mornings, & it usually takes a "a spoonful of sugar" to coax some brekkie down their throats quickly, else they'll be late for school. :smilin:

My Type1 diab kid needs a sugar boost in the morning to counter his insulin jab (along with a decent carbo slow release to take him to lunchtime). Breakfast is the most important meal of the day in this house.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Text » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:58 pm

Stooo wrote:
Canary wrote:What else can you give little kids for brekkie that does NOT contain sugar?? :dunno: If you give them toast or porridge instead they will expect a blob of jam on top. They're often slow & grumpy in the mornings, & it usually takes a "a spoonful of sugar" to coax some brekkie down their throats quickly, else they'll be late for school. :smilin:

My Type1 diab kid needs a sugar boost in the morning to counter his insulin jab (along with a decent carbo slow release to take him to lunchtime). Breakfast is the most important meal of the day in this house.

Aaaaaw, I didn't know that your kid has DM type 1(((stooo's kid))) x :wubbers: The management of diabetes over the years has come on, in leaps & bounds, 2 key factors, imo: injections should be as pain-free as poss, & the regime mustn't be too strict in kids, cos they will rebel when they are teenagers !!! Teens don't like to feel different from others.
Text

Postby Stooo » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:09 pm

Canary wrote:
Stooo wrote:

Aaaaaw, I didn't know that your kid has DM type 1(((stooo's kid))) x :wubbers: The management of diabetes over the years has come on, in leaps & bounds, 2 key factors, imo: injections should be as pain-free as poss, & the regime mustn't be too strict in kids, cos they will rebel when they are teenagers !!! Teens don't like to feel different from others.

He's had it since he was three so rebelling at fourteen is not an issue; he doesn't know any different. Management is just common sense and it's just normal stuff to us all here. Penfill injections have taken so much stress and embarrassment out of type1 and the four injection a day regime has made life so much easier.

Thanks for your kind words but he's just a kid who has a condition, I make sure that it doesn't define him :cuppaT:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Text » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:16 pm

Stooo wrote:
Canary wrote:
Stooo wrote:

He's had it since he was three so rebelling at fourteen is not an issue; he doesn't know any different. Management is just common sense and it's just normal stuff to us all here. Penfill injections have taken so much stress and embarrassment out of type1 and the four injection a day regime has made life so much easier.

Thanks for your kind words but he's just a kid who has a condition, I make sure that it doesn't define him :cuppaT:

Oh, I thought he was much younger. Yes, you're right, diabetes is so well managed nowadays that the lifestyle of sufferers is no different to anyone one else, in fact it's not an issue, just a minor inconvenience.
Text

Postby Stooo » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:20 pm

Canary wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Canary wrote:
Stooo wrote:

Oh, I thought he was much younger. Yes, you're right, diabetes is so well managed nowadays that the lifestyle of sufferers is no different to anyone one else, in fact it's not an issue, just a minor inconvenience.

The islet stem cell transplants that are being pioneered in Canada may well bring an end to the whole hateful thing. The trials are proving hopeful.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Text » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:32 pm

^^ What brilliant news, I did not know that, I lost touch with what's going on in the medical world since my mum retired. Listen, I have no doubt that DM type 1 will be totally "cured " in the forseeable future. (( I'm not too fussed with type 2 DM, cos the cause of that is completely different, it's partly or wholly self-inflicted, thru' dietary xs/obesity))
Text

Postby Text » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:35 pm

Years back, research scientists toyed with the theory that diabetes could be triggered by virus damage of the pancreas. (I forget if it's type 1 or 2 they were referring to). I don't think anyone knows for sure.

A couple of members of our extended family have DM type 2.(uncles). One goes really really quiet & literally 'stupified' when he's hypo. The other one gets very agitated & hyperactive when hypo. Completely opposite reactions!!! :yikes: Causes both of them to sweat buckets though - that they do have in common. At family gatherings we appoint (in advance) the biggest & burliest members present to rugby-tackle the hyperactive one into submission so we can get glucose down his throat if he goes hypo (they carry emergency glucose sachets now) - ..he gets confused when he's hypo, he doesn't know what's happening when ppl are trying to help him, so he fights it. He likes a drink as well, which doesn't exactly help.!! :pmsl:
Text

Postby Stooo » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:56 pm

Canary wrote:^^ What brilliant news, I did not know that, I lost touch with what's going on in the medical world since my mum retired. Listen, I have no doubt that DM type 1 will be totally "cured " in the forseeable future. (( I'm not too fussed with type 2 DM, cos the cause of that is completely different, it's partly or wholly self-inflicted, thru' dietary xs/obesity))

My bad, it is a Brazilian trial, the Canadians are also forging ahead

Recently, doctors have attempted to cure diabetes by injecting patients with pancreatic islet cells, which are made up of several types of cells, including the beta cells that produce insulin. In this procedure, doctors use special enzymes to separate the islets from the pancreas of a deceased donor, then inject them into the patient’s liver. Once implanted, the beta cells in these replacement islets begin to make and release insulin.

This procedure is easier and safer than the major surgery of a pancreas transplant. However, like those who receive pancreas transplants, these patients also require powerful immunosuppressant therapy to (1) prevent their bodies from rejecting the foreign cells, and (2) prevent their immune systems from attacking and destroying these replacement cells as they did the originals. The traditional, steroid-based anti-rejection drugs, in addition to leaving patients susceptible to other diseases, also have a negative effect on insulin-producing cells and eventually may exhaust the cells’ ability to produce insulin.

To try to overcome these challenges, a group of researchers at the University of Alberta in Edmonton developed an experimental protocol that uses both a larger amount of islet cells and a different type of immunosuppressant therapy. In 2000, the group reported that seven of seven patients who received islet cell transplants no longer needed to take insulin and their blood glucose levels were normal a year after surgery. In 2005, the researchers published results for 65 patients and reported that about 10 per cent remained free of the need for insulin injections after five years. Most recipients, however, returned to using insulin because the transplanted islets lost their ability to function over time.

http://www.stemcellnetwork.ca/index.php ... tes&hl=eng
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:00 am

everyone in uk should be taking vit d supplements
it doesnt just prevent rickets
i take it to ward of MS
but theres allsorts of skin and bone complaints
lack of sunlight in northern climes causes
:cuppaT:
Big Fat Frosty

Postby wutang » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:29 pm

But there is a difference between "a spoonful of sugar" and feeding them something that has more sugar that dessert:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8630446.stm

And lets not overlook the salt content which is very high (even those that are marketed as healthy as terrible - one bowl of all bran contains 1/3rd of your daily recommened amount of salt)

Nothing wrong with a blob of jam on toast or in porridge (you could use honey or fruit - more natural sugars) but as the above link shows there is more sugar in some of these cereals than ICE CREAM. would you feed your kids Ice cream/doughnuts/cake for Brekkie? of course not.
wutang

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs