Germany and France are economic dictatators

Germany and France are economic dictatators

Postby spicy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:19 pm

Why would the smaller members of the EU want to be dictated to by these people?

Why have all the other countries formed a yellow streak?

Why did we fight two world wars for ditatorship?
spicy

Re: Germany and France are economic dictatators

Postby Maddog » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:41 pm

spicy wrote:Why would the smaller members of the EU want to be dictated to by these people?

They are asking for money. Beggars don't make the rules, especially beggars that don't have a good history of being able to repay loans.
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:57 pm

As Maddog indicated all the EU did was say if you want to have a referendum to decide on the bailout we'll keep our money until the votes are counted. In fact the EU was supporting the democratic process by not facing the Greeks with a fait accompli that no referendum vote would affect.

The Greeks didn't want that, I don't think they ever did, but Papandreou has bounced his domestic opposition into a position where they can't make political capital out of the situation.
Cactus Jack

Postby Text » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:29 pm

@ title: Who knew?? :thud:
Ok, bit sarky there ..... but 'twas ever thus I'm afraid. :dunno:
Text

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:06 pm

Maddog wrote:
spicy wrote:Why would the smaller members of the EU want to be dictated to by these people?

They are asking for money. Beggars don't make the rules, especially beggars that don't have a good history of being able to repay loans.

SO what happened to Germany's post WW2 debt?
What happened to their WW1 debt?
Were both almost wiped out.

One rule for one

Postby wutang » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:23 pm

Guest wrote:SO what happened to Germany's post WW2 debt?
What happened to their WW1 debt?
Were both almost wiped out.

One rule for one

Aye, that is the ultimate irony here. Germany has defaulted more times than any European nation, and recieved a massive bailout themselves after the War... with non of the demands they are now making to Greece. It owes its economy to the bailouts and debt forgiveness of other nations.
wutang

Postby LordRaven » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:19 am

What I find incredible is that the French wanted the "Entente Cordiale"(and quite rightly) because we were both Empire Building and allowing each other space was a good idea.

The Germans wanted "Liebensraum" and we sided with the French to stop the Schlieffen Plan coming to fruition on two occasions.

Odd that our two natural enemies are now ganging up?

Should we be in there with them deciding the fate of Europe? :dunno:

I think so, :thumbsup:
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby Cannydc » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:31 pm

What is a Dictatator

Is that like the vegetarian version of a Dictaphone ?
Cannydc

Postby spicy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:43 pm

I don't get it if an individual can't pay their mortgage or debts they lose everything and start again. I suggest the same should happen with Greece. Greece won't suddenly dissappear. They'll cope because they'll have to. I wish someone would write off our mortgage to the tune of 50% ffs. We all know that Germany needs the Euro to work they have even greater exports to the EU than us. :shake head:
spicy

Postby wutang » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:15 pm

spicy wrote:I don't get it if an individual can't pay their mortgage or debts they lose everything and start again.

But at the same time when an individual cannot pay their mortgage or debts the creditors - i.e the banks - arent gonna suffer too much[*]. Sure they take a hit but it is one that they can absorb. The difference here is that whereas an individual may owe tens of thousands, or even hundred of thousands, Greece owes hundreds of billions, the banks and Governments that are holding that debt are gonna be left hurting.

As for the 50% write off - if you were one of the creditors and you had a choice between getting 50% back or 0% back what would you choose?

[*although if lots of people cant pay their mortgages then the banks are in trouble, which is what is happening at the moment. Recently banks have been more lenient with people not meeting payments than in the past because with the disasterous state of the housing market they cant afford to call in the debts.]
wutang

Postby spicy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:13 pm

wutang wrote:
spicy wrote:I don't get it if an individual can't pay their mortgage or debts they lose everything and start again.

But at the same time when an individual cannot pay their mortgage or debts the creditors - i.e the banks - arent gonna suffer too much[*]. Sure they take a hit but it is one that they can absorb. The difference here is that whereas an individual may owe tens of thousands, or even hundred of thousands, Greece owes hundreds of billions, the banks and Governments that are holding that debt are gonna be left hurting.

As for the 50% write off - if you were one of the creditors and you had a choice between getting 50% back or 0% back what would you choose?

[*although if lots of people cant pay their mortgages then the banks are in trouble, which is what is happening at the moment. Recently banks have been more lenient with people not meeting payments than in the past because with the disasterous state of the housing market they cant afford to call in the debts.]

Last I heard that were asking for more than a 50% right off. It's never ending. They cooked the books to join someone/people should be taken to court somehow?
spicy

Postby Double dip recession » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:47 pm

it wont be long now when I cya and wouldn't wanna be ya :doomed:
Double dip recession

Postby Text » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:12 pm

spicy wrote:
wutang wrote:

Last I heard that were asking for more than a 50% right off. It's never ending. They cooked the books to join someone/people should be taken to court somehow?

Greece will never pay a single penny back. The inevitable is being delayed. Perhaps they should ditch the euro & go back to the drachma, or some form of local currency. I'd say they're half way there anyway, cos many citizens are now paying each other not in cash, but in kind, by swapping services & farm produce ... ie battering.
Text

Postby Harry's Tottle » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:06 am

Canary wrote:
spicy wrote:
wutang wrote:

Greece will never pay a single penny back. The inevitable is being delayed. Perhaps they should ditch the euro & go back to the drachma, or some form of local currency. I'd say they're half way there anyway, cos many citizens are now paying each other not in cash, but in kind, by swapping services & farm produce ... ie battering.

"Bartering"?? :dunno:

If they batter each other,well I cant see it working :pmsl:
Harry's Tottle

Postby spicy » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:23 pm

Who was it that said; Neither nor a borrower nor a lender be for loan oft loseth both itself and friend.

There are too many corrupt politicians in the EU to rely on them to get their economic house in order FACT.

Free trade with Europe.
spicy

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs