Britain makes the old East Germany look like free state.

Britain makes the old East Germany look like free state.

Postby minjeeta » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:06 pm

Plans to record all conversations in taxis licensed by a city council are a "staggering invasion of privacy" which show a "total disregard for civil liberties", campaigners have said.

Oxford City Council plans to ensure all of its 600-plus cabs are fitted with at least one CCTV camera to record all conversations between passengers.
Apparently the conversations will only be used in case of an "incident"...Yeah, right, till the police see two known characters in a cab and want to know what they are up to.
minjeeta

Re: Britain makes the old East Germany look like free state.

Postby spicy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:11 pm

My god can you believe this?
spicy

Postby Ali » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:32 pm

A few years ago a female taxi driver in my town was forced to drive to at knife point to another town an hours drive away. Personally I have no problem with it if it means increasing the safety of drivers.
Ali

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:35 pm

minjeeta wrote:Plans to record all conversations in taxis licensed by a city council are a "staggering invasion of privacy" which show a "total disregard for civil liberties", campaigners have said.

Oxford City Council plans to ensure all of its 600-plus cabs are fitted with at least one CCTV camera to record all conversations between passengers.
Apparently the conversations will only be used in case of an "incident"...Yeah, right, till the police see two known characters in a cab and want to know what they are up to.

Thank god for the Loony right, where would we be without them? :pmsl:

Postby spicy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:36 pm

Yes I know of cases like that too, but I still think it's going to far.
spicy

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:38 pm

spicy wrote:Yes I know of cases like that too, but I still think it's going to far.

And cunts like you think Labour is worse than Tories :gigglesnshit:

Cameron wanted to shut down the whole internet the other week, not even China would do that

Postby Cactus Jack » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:43 pm

minjeeta wrote:Plans to record all conversations in taxis licensed by a city council are a "staggering invasion of privacy" which show a "total disregard for civil liberties", campaigners have said.

My sister is a taxi driver and with the stipulation that each journey can be deleted once the fare is paid she doesn't have a problem with this idea.
Cactus Jack

Postby minjeeta » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:44 pm

Ali wrote:A few years ago a female taxi driver in my town was forced to drive to at knife point to another town an hours drive away. Personally I have no problem with it if it means increasing the safety of drivers.

So you think that because it happened once a few years ago all private conversations should be recorded???? What next, tape all conversations in private houses because they could get burgled, all conversations in doctors surgeries because one was attacked once....where does it end??
minjeeta

Postby minjeeta » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:49 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

My sister is a taxi driver and with the stipulation that each journey can be deleted once the fare is paid she doesn't have a problem with this idea.

She added that the footage will not be routinely viewed, but will be kept for 28 days on a CCTV hard-drive in case it is needed following a specific incident. The policy will also be kept under review. The council spokeswoman added that the cost of installing the CCTV system with one camera is about £400 and there are currently 107 black cabs and 545 private hire vehicles in the city.
minjeeta

Postby Maddog » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:49 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

Is anything ever really deleted? Why not simply give the driver a switch to flip on, if they want to be recorded. BTW, who is going to pay for this?
Maddog

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:51 pm

Maddog wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Is anything ever really deleted? Why not simply give the driver a switch to flip on, if they want to be recorded. BTW, who is going to pay for this?

The Oxford Conservatives/Republicans will tax local people more

Postby Ali » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:52 pm

minjeeta wrote:
Ali wrote:A few years ago a female taxi driver in my town was forced to drive to at knife point to another town an hours drive away. Personally I have no problem with it if it means increasing the safety of drivers.

So you think that because it happened once a few years ago all private conversations should be recorded???? What next, tape all conversations in private houses because they could get burgled, all conversations in doctors surgeries because one was attacked once....where does it end??

Anything that increases safety and or convictions should not be discounted.

Taxi drivers are pretty vulnerable in the fact that they don't know who it is they have in the back of their cab, nor what they are capable of and as such there is such a thing as a duty of care.
Ali

Postby Maddog » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:56 pm

Ali wrote:
minjeeta wrote:

Taxi drivers are pretty vulnerable in the fact that they don't know who it is they have in the back of their cab, nor what they are capable of and as such there is such a thing as a duty of care.

I don't think this is designed just for the safety of the driver, or they would give the driver the option to not use it, or have it controlled by the driver.
Maddog

Postby Ali » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:01 pm

Maddog wrote:
Ali wrote:
minjeeta wrote:

I don't think this is designed just for the safety of the driver, or they would give the driver the option to not use it, or have it controlled by the driver.

Why wouldn't it be designed for the safety of the driver. I wonder how this female taxi driver could have switched on a camera whilst a knife was being held at her throat. This didn't happen in a city where you almost half expect things like this to happen, this was in small town England.
Ali

Postby Maddog » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:05 pm

Ali wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Ali wrote:
minjeeta wrote:

Why wouldn't it be designed for the safety of the driver. I wonder how this female taxi driver could have switched on a camera whilst a knife was being held at her throat. This didn't happen in a city where you almost half expect things like this to happen, this was in small town England.

With a switch on the floor. The same way a bank teller can activate a silent alarm. Again, can the drive opt out or are they being forced to use the camera? You can tell who they want to watch by if they give the person being watched the option to not be watched.
Maddog

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs