BRITAIN 'TO JOIN EURO SOON'

BRITAIN 'TO JOIN EURO SOON'

Postby Cannydc » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:43 pm

Britain will have to abandon the pound and join the single currency “faster than people think”, Germany’s finance minister has said.

Wolfgang Schäuble said that, despite the current crisis in the eurozone, the euro will ultimately emerge as the common currency of the entire European Union. He said he “respects” Britain’s decision to keep the pound, but insisted that the survival and eventual stabilisation of the euro will convince non-members to join the currency club.

“This may happen more quickly than some people in the British Isles currently believe,” he added.

And you know these Germans. They aren't wrong too often. And my guess is that he is right now, too.
Cannydc

Re: BRITAIN 'TO JOIN EURO SOON'

Postby Stooo » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:46 pm

Good.

Federalisation next please.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Cannydc » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:49 pm

It has to happen, Stooo.

Once the ridiculous posturing ceases, and the hard realities of trying to trade as a lone state in a sea of trading blocks sets in, that is where we are heading.
Cannydc

Postby Maddog » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:51 pm

Not saying it wont happen, in fact its such a stupid idea that it probably will happen. China has no trade issues and they use funny money pegged to the dollar. In fact, one of the reasons they don't have trade issues is because the control and manipulate the value of their currency.
Maddog

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:52 pm

Maddog wrote:Not saying it wont happen, in fact its such a stupid idea that it probably will happen. China has no trade issues and they use funny money pegged to the dollar. In fact, one of the reasons they don't have trade issues is because the control and manipulate the value of their currency.

Like the 50 states adopting the dollar wasn't wracked with problems. Fuck you still have problems

Postby Stooo » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:21 pm

Maddog wrote:Not saying it wont happen, in fact its such a stupid idea that it probably will happen. China has no trade issues and they use funny money pegged to the dollar. In fact, one of the reasons they don't have trade issues is because the control and manipulate the value of their currency.

It will mean that there will be a superstate that will probably be the biggest, richest and most influential in the World, personally I'd have Russia as a member state as well.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Maddog » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:10 am

Stooo wrote:

It will mean that there will be a superstate that will probably be the biggest, richest and most influential in the World, personally I'd have Russia as a member state as well.

No it won't. Not unless you use old soviet style intimidation to keep everyone in line. Even then, it won't work if you don't fix the systemic problems, which cause it to be only as strong as weakest link. I think the Germans are eyeing what wealth you have left and want to use it to help prop the thing up a little longer. It would be a disaster for the UK.

As for the Russians, you are crazy. No way on god's green earth would they let Brussels tell them what to do.
Maddog

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:38 am

Maddog wrote:
Stooo wrote:

No it won't. Not unless you use old soviet style intimidation to keep everyone in line. Even then, it won't work if you don't fix the systemic problems, which cause it to be only as strong as weakest link. I think the Germans are eyeing what wealth you have left and want to use it to help prop the thing up a little longer. It would be a disaster for the UK.

As for the Russians, you are crazy. No way on god's green earth would they let Brussels tell them what to do.

Brussels doesn't tell anyone what to do. Our European Parliament is in Strasbourg.

Postby trini » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:04 am

Just for nothing......

The local village that we deal with knows what a 100 Dollar (US) bill looks like. I'm not sure they would fuck around with a 100 Euro Note.
trini

Postby Cannydc » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:34 am

"As for the Russians, you are crazy. No way on god's green earth would they let Brussels tell them what to do."

Not a move America would be keen on, that's for sure.

But what Maddog may not have noted is that countries like Norway and Switzerland have become 'honorary EU members' without signing up. And Russia will surely realise that to export to the block of 27 countries (soon 28 when Turkey joins) they will have to apply EU rules and regs regarding quality standards anyway. And, chances are, they will think it is worth the effort to follow those two countries' examples.

I can't see them joining the Euro just yet, though. Give it time.
Cannydc

Postby Maddog » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:32 pm

Cannydc wrote:"As for the Russians, you are crazy. No way on god's green earth would they let Brussels tell them what to do."

But what Maddog may not have noted is that countries like Norway and Switzerland have become 'honorary EU members' without signing up. And Russia will surely realise that to export to the block of 27 countries (soon 28 when Turkey joins) they will have to apply EU rules and regs regarding quality standards anyway. And, chances are, they will think it is worth the effort to follow those two countries' examples.

I was going to bring up the Swiss also. If the UK wants to be an honorary member, that's different. The Swiss have done quite well with their own currency and keeping their monetary policy and legal system "in house".

Trade agreements are much different then becoming a member of a group that now dictates policy to a sovereign nation.
Maddog

Postby Stooo » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:38 pm

Maddog wrote:
Cannydc wrote:"As for the Russians, you are crazy. No way on god's green earth would they let Brussels tell them what to do."

I was going to bring up the Swiss also. If the UK wants to be an honorary member, that's different. The Swiss have done quite well with their own currency and keeping their monetary policy and legal system "in house".

Trade agreements are much different then becoming a member of a group that now dictates policy to a sovereign nation.

Switzerland is reduced to having their banking system raped by the CIA and MI6 in an attempt to investigate corruption. Scam stories about supposed bank collapses and the refusal of new accounts are the flavour of the month in Zurich.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Maddog » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:46 pm

Stooo wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Switzerland is reduced to having their banking system raped by the CIA and MI6 in an attempt to investigate corruption. Scam stories about supposed bank collapses and the refusal of new accounts are the flavour of the month in Zurich.

They don't have to, they have decided to do so. There is not an outside entity forcing them to do so.
Maddog

Postby Stooo » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:50 pm

Maddog wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Maddog wrote:

They don't have to, they have decided to do so. There is not an outside entity forcing them to do so.

Call me a cynic, sometimes other nations secretly threaten sanctions unless compliance is given. There's a heck of a lot of rich people in Switzerland that want to remain so.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby wutang » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:36 pm

Maddog wrote:

The problem with the Swiss/Norway comparison is that both of those countries are very small (Norways pop is less than half the size of London) and their economies are not strong enough to pose a threat. The UK on the other hand would be in direct competition with the major EU countries, and certainly with a United States of Europe, and therefore it would be harder for them to exist outside the EU without it damaging their global position.

There is a good piece here about the subject and how a centralised Europe is desired by European capital in order to compete with its rivals in China, America, and India, etc., it would give them the size advantage that America has benefited from. Outside of this Britain would be a competitor and treated like one, as well as it being less desirable to big capital.

Even those things that Britain gains from, at the moment, such as its role as a financial centre, would be destroyed, because there is no reason that an EU State would simply allow London to continue to play that role. Almost inevitably a new European financial hub would be established in Frankfurt, and London would be sidelined.

http://boffyblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/d ... itain.html
wutang

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs