Real reverse discrimination

Re: Real reverse discrimination

Postby Maddog » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:44 pm

Big Fat Frosty wrote:hahahha
no theyd have stoned me to death about age 5 or so
i got asked not to return to sunday school
coz i just didnt fit in....
:Sgreengrin:

Asian over here generally means oriental, not central asian. I don't know why we got rid of the term oriental. I know Afghanistan is in Asia, but those people are referred to as middle eastern, so that we can seperate them from say the Chinese.
Maddog

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:45 pm

SaintNickers wrote:
Big Fat Frosty wrote:no i got the point
but u mentioned him
and i was powerless
to stop my inner self from
ranting .....
einstein + beer = rant...

Do you have shoe laces? Hope not! :Ssad: :Sgreengrin:

why u need a tourniquet for a fix pet.......
Big Fat Frosty

Postby wutang » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:58 pm

Maddog wrote:The California Institute of Technology, a private school that chooses not to consider race, is about one-third Asian. (Thirteen percent of California residents have Asian heritage.) The University of California-Berkeley, which is forbidden by state law to consider race in admissions, is more than 40 percent Asian - up from about 20 percent before the law was passed.

While I dont disagree that the quota system does discriminate against Asians this is another example of where the stats can be misleading.

13% of california is Asian with the two educational establishments here having between 33-40% Asian students - so about 3 times as many as you would expect give the pop size.

In the Michigan example the Asian students made up 12.5%, with Michigan's Asian population 2.4%... so 5 times as many.

But this doesnt take into account how many apply, for what subjects (what were the break down for the subjects in terms of ethnic applicants), where they are coming from (they are not all gonna be applying for their home state college).
wutang

Postby Maddog » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:51 am

wutang wrote:
Maddog wrote:The California Institute of Technology, a private school that chooses not to consider race, is about one-third Asian. (Thirteen percent of California residents have Asian heritage.) The University of California-Berkeley, which is forbidden by state law to consider race in admissions, is more than 40 percent Asian - up from about 20 percent before the law was passed.

While I dont disagree that the quota system does discriminate against Asians this is another example of where the stats can be misleading.

13% of california is Asian with the two educational establishments here having between 33-40% Asian students - so about 3 times as many as you would expect give the pop size.

In the Michigan example the Asian students made up 12.5%, with Michigan's Asian population 2.4%... so 5 times as many.

But this doesnt take into account how many apply, for what subjects (what were the break down for the subjects in terms of ethnic applicants), where they are coming from (they are not all gonna be applying for their home state college).

I don't think all of the stats are available, because many colleges don't ask about race. The article did show how different races had different scores for acceptance, with asians needing the highest score.

There is something wrong with a system, where all applicants are not treated the same.

Also, there is something subjective about the whole system. Grades are not the only factor for some schools. Many want to know how well rounded you are as in sports, extra curricular activities, community organizations.

I think the figures do may it quite clear. If you are asian, and apply for Uni, don't tell them unless you have to.
Maddog

Postby Cannydc » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:31 am

We have long had the same dilemma in the UK when Asians apply for jobs.

It was proven that those with Asian names rarely get an interview, despite having equal or better qualifications compared to the average 'John Smith'.

A simple change of name, and 'bingo' !!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/as ... 80478.html
Cannydc

Postby unusualforyou » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:29 am

wutang wrote:

How odd, if the stats said that blacks were discriminated against you wouldn't be dissecting them would you, you would immediately take them at face value and harp on about how badly done to they are etc. :Srolleyes:
unusualforyou

Postby Cannydc » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:53 am

Is that a case of 'real reverse, reverse discrimination' ???
Cannydc

Postby Maddog » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:38 pm

Cannydc wrote:We have long had the same dilemma in the UK when Asians apply for jobs.

It was proven that those with Asian names rarely get an interview, despite having equal or better qualifications compared to the average 'John Smith'.

That's a different dilemma though. That's just old fashioned discrimination. In this case colleges are discriminating against the most qualified in order to reach some mystical outcome where everyone is represented equally in numbers. Another words, they are not getting interviews because the company already has too many Asians.
Maddog

Postby SaintNickers » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:34 pm

Cannydc wrote:We have long had the same dilemma in the UK when Asians apply for jobs.

When did you come across this stat....1920`s or 30`s?
have you never been to Curry`s, PCworld, Lidl`s, any Indian restuatant (now theres a prime example of undiversity for you) or any franchaised service station? :Srolleyes:
SaintNickers

Previous

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs