Jobcentres are a waste of space

Jobcentres are a waste of space

Postby spicy » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:04 pm

My son has been seeking work around his College for sometime now. He has uploaded his CV to many Jobsites, walked up and down the high streets handing his CV over and has only had 3 interviews. All unsuccessful. Whilst at school he did a free paper round for around two years and did work experience whilst at school he has five GCSE's, all this must account for something??? Of all his friends for which there are many only two of the girls his age have part-time work.

I accompanied him to the local Jobcentre and they are a complete and utter waste of space all they could do was tell him stuff he's already done ffs. I then took him to the Youth Advisory they were useless too just handing him paper with more websites.

All the help goes to single parents, ex-offenders, ethnic minorities and people on very low incomes. It seems to me there is a great swathe of the general public being ignored.

Is is any wonder that more and more people are becoming depressed when there appears to be no hope?

If this keeps up I'll have to go on welfare for depression myself soon it's just not funny anymore.
spicy

Re: Jobcentres are a waste of space

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:29 pm

spicy wrote:My son has been seeking work around his College for sometime now. He has uploaded his CV to many Jobsites, walked up and down the high streets handing his CV over and has only had 3 interviews. All unsuccessful. Whilst at school he did a free paper round for around two years and did work experience whilst at school he has five GCSE's, all this must account for something??? Of all his friends for which there are many only two of the girls his age have part-time work.

I accompanied him to the local Jobcentre and they are a complete and utter waste of space all they could do was tell him stuff he's already done ffs. I then took him to the Youth Advisory they were useless too just handing him paper with more websites.

All the help goes to single parents, ex-offenders, ethnic minorities and people on very low incomes. It seems to me there is a great swathe of the general public being ignored.

Is is any wonder that more and more people are becoming depressed when there appears to be no hope?

If this keeps up I'll have to go on welfare for depression myself soon it's just not funny anymore.

Sadly the Right have destroyed the economy

Postby Stooo » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:39 pm

spicy wrote:My son has been seeking work around his College for sometime now. He has uploaded his CV to many Jobsites, walked up and down the high streets handing his CV over and has only had 3 interviews. All unsuccessful. Whilst at school he did a free paper round for around two years and did work experience whilst at school he has five GCSE's, all this must account for something??? Of all his friends for which there are many only two of the girls his age have part-time work.

Make some friends and ask around. The Job Centre is shit and always has been.

Contacts and a bit of networking works wonders.

Good luck to your lad.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Cannydc » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:44 pm

I got the job I have been in for the last 6 years from a Jobcenter.

No quibbles with them.

Decent money, very decent pension too.

What exactly do you expect them to do for him - conjure up jobs that Dave has cut ?
Cannydc

Postby Stooo » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:51 pm

Cannydc wrote:I got the job I have been in for the last 6 years from a Jobcenter.

No quibbles with them.

Decent money, very decent pension too.

What exactly do you expect them to do for him - conjure up jobs that Dave has cut ?

I've got a couple of jobs from the Jobcentre but usually it's been word of mouth. People skills help far more than qualifications although they are important as well.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Cannydc » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:58 pm

It is generally a family thing, Stooo

Brother works in the factory, knows someone is leaving and sugests sibling as a replacement...

Trouble is, people aren't retiring, and there are precious few vacancies for anyone. Competition is fierce, and 5 GCSEs won't do it. You need that many A stars, with another 5 As to get a sniff of a job. Or work experience and a pretty hot CV.
Cannydc

Postby Stooo » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:12 pm

Cannydc wrote:It is generally a family thing, Stooo

Brother works in the factory, knows someone is leaving and sugests sibling as a replacement...

Trouble is, people aren't retiring, and there are precious few vacancies for anyone. Competition is fierce, and 5 GCSEs won't do it. You need that many A stars, with another 5 As to get a sniff of a job. Or work experience and a pretty hot CV.

I see what you mean Canny but I approach it from a different angle. I'm really good with people and I don't have any side.

I have very few qualifications apart from some NVQs in management and shit like that, I can talk to people and I'm happy to try anything whatever the wage.

I've always been a grafter and it would kill me to sit at home doing nothing.

My present job is not a thing that would have occurred to me before, that said, I love it to bits and wish I had looked at it ten years ago.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby TeamRighty » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:22 pm

i dont want to divert this thread and start blaming the visitors but when i applied for new job last year the 5 page application went very well until i got to........

"ethnicity"

knew i wasnt gonna get that job, ive seen companies diversity policies, to promote employing people from more ethnic backgrounds really means employing less of the natives.

as for job centres, they have the benefits office in there now too, so that when the media take a picture of the front of it it shows the visitors going in giving the impression they are looking for work, quite the opposite, the 60 plate 4x4 with disabled badge in the window parked on double yellows gives it away, perfectly ok getting out of the car, fetch walking stick from boot, limp in to the job centre
TeamRighty

Postby TeamRighty » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:24 pm

dont forget the fat blond mum with a mix of kids smoking, half pissed on her blackberry who "needs more money to feed the kids"
TeamRighty

Postby Cannydc » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:40 pm

They offered me £12 a week when I went to sign on in 2005

Seemed sensible to get a job, £12 a week wouldn't pay the paper bill...
Cannydc

Postby TeamRighty » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:41 pm

Cannydc wrote:They offered me £12 a week when I went to sign on in 2005

Seemed sensible to get a job, £12 a week wouldn't pay the paper bill...

it would keep you in guardians for the week :pmsl:
TeamRighty

Postby Ali » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:43 pm

TeamRighty wrote:

i dont want to divert this thread and start blaming the visitors but when i applied for new job last year the 5 page application went very well until i got to........

"ethnicity"

knew i wasnt gonna get that job, ive seen companies diversity policies, to promote employing people from more ethnic backgrounds really means employing less of the natives.

as for job centres, they have the benefits office in there now too, so that when the media take a picture of the front of it it shows the visitors going in giving the impression they are looking for work, quite the opposite, the 60 plate 4x4 with disabled badge in the window parked on double yellows gives it away, perfectly ok getting out of the car, fetch walking stick from boot, limp in to the job centre

Is it a new thing to have the benefits office in the job centre or something?
Ali

Postby TeamRighty » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:45 pm

Ali wrote:
TeamRighty wrote:

"ethnicity"

yes, in birmingham they used to be on different streets, now they are one,
TeamRighty

Postby Ali » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:50 pm

TeamRighty wrote:
Ali wrote:
TeamRighty wrote:

"ethnicity"

yes, in birmingham they used to be on different streets, now they are one,

We don't have a job centre anymore, it was closed down about 5 years ago but the benefits office was in the same building for the whole time it was there.
Ali

Postby Cannydc » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:58 pm

Snap, Ali.

You signed on in the same place as the Jobs Info.

Now it is shut.
Cannydc

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs