DAVE REGARDS SCOTLAND AS A 3RD WORLD COUNTRY

DAVE REGARDS SCOTLAND AS A 3RD WORLD COUNTRY

Postby Cannydc » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:08 am

Patently obvious from the words coming out of Downing Street this morning re. a referendum on Scottish independance...

"The Prime Minister wants the referendum to be run by the Electoral Commission to ensure it is fair"

PMSL - Dave, are you suggesting the Scots can't manage their own elections ? Also, Dave will confront Scotland’s First Minister after receiving new legal advice said to confirm Downing Street’s claim that Mr Salmond cannot hold a referendum without permission from Westminster.

He sure knows how to ensure the last few Tories in Scotland will be extinct in a year or two.
Cannydc

Re: DAVE REGARDS SCOTLAND AS A 3RD WORLD COUNTRY

Postby Trapper John » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:27 am

If the people of Scotland really do want independence, then we should give it to them, but it must be TOTAL independence. None of this bollocks of, we'll be independent on the bits that suit us, but we still want this and that from England.

Personally, I don't think the people will vote for it under those conditions and I think they would be foolish if they did. Total Independence would indeed make them a third world country.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Cannydc » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:37 am

It shouldn't make them a 3rd world country, they have income from oil and other exports... as well as a mature democracy and peace.

What would concern me is that were they to become fully seperated from the UK, and have to pay for their own health service, defence etc rather than relying on extremely heavy subsidies from Westminster that they currently enjoy, they may well not be able to pay the bills.
Cannydc

Postby Vicky » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:22 pm

The referendum vote isn't going to be held for another couple of years yet. The Scots aren't going to vote for independence without weighting up the pros and cons of what independence would mean first, we are not stupid you know.
Vicky

Postby SaintNickers » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:54 pm

Victoria wrote:The referendum vote isn't going to be held for another couple of years yet. The Scots aren't going to vote for independence without weighting up the pros and cons of what independence would mean first, we are not stupid you know.

You have just confirmed trapers point.
SaintNickers

Postby Vicky » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:48 pm

SaintNickers wrote:
Victoria wrote:The referendum vote isn't going to be held for another couple of years yet. The Scots aren't going to vote for independence without weighting up the pros and cons of what independence would mean first, we are not stupid you know.

We will only vote for independence if its going to be to our benefit Nic's. Who knows, we might vote no. Nothing is certain :smilin:
Vicky

Postby LordRaven » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:27 pm

Victoria wrote:
SaintNickers wrote:

We will only vote for independence if its going to be to our benefit Nic's. Who knows, we might vote no. Nothing is certain :smilin:

The oldest european union being broken up is something I personally am against but if the scots really want that then so be it but at the moment there is a large shortfall in their expenditure and tax raising so that will need to be assessed--or Brussells can perhaps take over the subsidy?

Stay in the Union ffs!! Imagine a world without th Union Flag? That would be odd.
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby Vicky » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:05 pm

We cant stay in the union Lordy, just because you like the union flag, if Scotland does vote for independence, i am sure the new flag will be fine. :smilin:
Vicky

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:42 pm

Declare independence, confiscate all the nuke submarines at Faslane, become the worlds smallest nuclear equipped nation and tell Dave to Fuck off. :mrgreen:

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:19 pm

You may take my fried Mars bar

But you will never take my

Freedom!!!!!

Postby Trapper John » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:21 pm

Cannydc wrote:It shouldn't make them a 3rd world country, they have income from oil and other exports... as well as a mature democracy and peace.

What would concern me is that were they to become fully seperated from the UK, and have to pay for their own health service, defence etc rather than relying on extremely heavy subsidies from Westminster that they currently enjoy, they may well not be able to pay the bills.

I think the people of Scotland will need to be told just what exactly they can expect from Oil, which is nowhere near what many of them might think.

The Oil fields are owned by the Oil companies now, since Thatcher the Snatcher sold them for a pittance. The current UK revenue from taxes amounts to around £4billion and that won't all be going to a new independent Scotland. They might see a quarter of it if they're lucky, which by no means would make up for the subsidies they currently enjoy from being part of the union.

More importantly for Scotland, they would also have to foot their benefits bill as well as the others you mention, we certainly won't want a mass exodus of benefit scroungers descending on us, we have enough on our plate, keeping the rest of Europe's riff raff.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Vicky » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:43 pm

Guest wrote:Image

You may take my fried Mars bar

But you will never take my

Freedom!!!!!

Not a bad film Braveheart, but a Scottish actor playing William Wallace would have been better :smilin:
Vicky

Postby Sting,I'm an englishman » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:23 pm

Trapezerjohn wrote:
Cannydc wrote:It shouldn't make them a 3rd world country, they have income from oil and other exports... as well as a mature democracy and peace.

I think the people of Scotland will need to be told just what exactly they can expect from Oil, which is nowhere near what many of them might think.

The Oil fields are owned by the Oil companies now, since Thatcher the Snatcher sold them for a pittance. The current UK revenue from taxes amounts to around £4billion and that won't all be going to a new independent Scotland. They might see a quarter of it if they're lucky, which by no means would make up for the subsidies they currently enjoy from being part of the union.

More importantly for Scotland, they would also have to foot their benefits bill as well as the others you mention, we certainly won't want a mass exodus of benefit scroungers descending on us, we have enough on our plate, keeping the rest of Europe's riff raff.

Oh no! Instead of the one mandatory pissed jock in every english pub we might have a flood? Is that what your sayin'? :yikes:
Sting,I'm an englishman

Postby Vicky » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:42 am

I don't see why Scotland getting independence, should cause floods in English pubs do you :roll:
Vicky

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:55 am

good morning Vik

do you think it likely that Alex and the SNP will take this opportuniy of a referendum, even tho cameron is forcing it on them?
Mark

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs