Stolen Heart

Stolen Heart

Postby Stooo » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:13 pm

The preserved heart of Dublin's patron saint has been stolen from the city's Christ Church Cathedral, officials say.

The thief would have needed metal cutters to prise open the iron bars protecting the wooden heart-shaped box holding St Laurence O'Toole's heart.

Police believe it happened between some time between Friday night and about 12.30 GMT on Saturday.

"They specifically targeted this, they wanted the heart of St Laurence O'Toole," a church spokeswoman said.

"It's completely bizarre," she said, adding that valuable gold chalices and gold candlesticks were ignored by the thief.

The heart has been a major pilgrimage site at Christ Church since the medieval period.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17248394

:shake head:
Stooo
Site Admin

Re: Stolen Heart

Postby Cannydc » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:19 pm

I genuinely despair at the utter stupidity of mankind, and those who actually believe that relics of highly dubious authenticity to the point of actually revering and worshiping them really should take some sort of mental health advice and treatment.

At best, that box will contain nothing but dust. At worst it never contained anything bar what was originally put in to pretend to be something it was not.
Cannydc

Postby measurer » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:27 pm

Quite sickening, isn't it? I have to research old graves, and the state some of them are in because of vandals would make you want to kick their arses! They don't care if you're famous or not, death is a level playing field for them. Though, I did find out about 200 yrs ago they stole a standing stone! :dunno:
measurer

Postby art0hur0moh » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:33 am

measurer wrote:Quite sickening, isn't it? I have to research old graves, and the state some of them are in because of vandals would make you want to kick their arses! They don't care if you're famous or not, death is a level playing field for them. Though, I did find out about 200 yrs ago they stole a standing stone! :dunno:

"Do not dishonor the dead by marking there grave" biblical law! "Do not cut, damage or mark stone for you will desicrate it" biblical law!

From the day your born you start to die why fear it. Each day you are reborn. The only reason I can think why you mark your graves is out of fear. A memorial is a memory even a verbal record, not a monument!

Pure insanity at it's finest!
art0hur0moh

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs