domestic violence

domestic violence

Postby The Graduate. » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:11 am

I've just heard on the radio that WOMEN have won the right to force police to tell them whether a potential partner has a history of domestic violence. I don't think it applys to men! just wonen!

You poor fuckers :mrgreen:
The Graduate.

Re: domestic violence

Postby The Graduate. » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:18 am

MAN: Woud you like to go out for a drink sometime.

WOMAN: Yes, I just need to check your criminal history first!
The Graduate.

Postby Trapper John » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:27 am

DIAMONDS wrote:I've just heard on the radio that WOMEN have won the right to force police to tell them whether a potential partner has a history of domestic violence. I don't think it applys to men! just wonen!

On the contrary, as 90% of cases of domestic violence go unreported, there will be many women who will check the register and think their new partner is AOK because he is not on the list. I think it will give them a false sense of security and do little to curb the problem.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby The Graduate. » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:32 am

I agree with you. I would always trust my instincts over outside information anyway. Would anyone really want to go out with someone who wanted to do a police check on them aswell? Also women can be violent aswell.
The Graduate.

Postby Raggamuffin » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:36 am

This is Clare's law, yes?

Clare Wood met a chap on the internet and he turned out to be violent and he killed her when she dumped him. He apparently had a history of violence towards women, so her father says had she known that she wouldn't have gone near him in the first place.

I'm not sure how this law would work though.

As Diamonds says - would a bloke be impressed that some girl they met checked up on them to see if they were a violent loony? Would the police be obliged to tell the man that he'd been checked up on?

What about women who do know about a bloke's history but think it will be different for them?

What about men who want to check on a woman before they get to know her? It's a bit sexist isn't it?

The problem is that Clare Wood did tell the police that this man was threatening her and they did too little to stop him apparently, so that's the real issue. The other issue is that she met him on the internet - she didn't meet him through friends who could have told her about his history. I wonder how much difference that would have made to her anyway - some women ignore all the warnings because they think they can change the bloke or something.

This man was apparently known to search for women via dating websites and Facebook, but women don't have to respond to some random bloke who's trying to get to know them do they?
Raggamuffin

Postby The Graduate. » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:43 am

yes its called claires law. One whole new law with the potential to affect every person in the land because of one misjudement of character by one person.
The Graduate.

Postby poo » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:44 am

DIAMONDS wrote:I've just heard on the radio that WOMEN have won the right to force police to tell them whether a potential partner has a history of domestic violence. I don't think it applys to men! just wonen!

sadly,the smarter abuser doesn't always get reported
so the police check would only show up
the retards

making it next to useless :smilin:
poo

Postby Raggamuffin » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:49 am

DIAMONDS wrote:yes its called claires law. One whole new law with the potential to affect every person in the land because of one misjudement of character by one person.

Even when Clare did realise what Appleton was like, she couldn't protect herself, and the police didn't protect her well enough. Meeting anyone is a risk I guess, and I'm not sure that the law can enable women to only meet suitable men.

I can understand her father's point of view. He's beating himself up because he couldn't protect her. He takes the view that had he known about Appleton's past he would have prevented Clare from going near him and she would still be alive. However, she was 36 years old so she might not have listened to him anyway.
Raggamuffin

Postby The Graduate. » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:52 am

poo wrote:

sadly,the smarter abuser doesn't always get reported
so the police check would only show up
the retards

making it next to useless :smilin:

Very true. I know someone who has been with one for 20 years +, always defends him, no-one can talk any sense into her. She even got all upset when she thought he had bowel cancer, I was hoping he had and would die. Sadly it was benign.
The Graduate.

Postby Trapper John » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:54 am

DIAMONDS wrote:I agree with you. I would always trust my instincts over outside information anyway. Would anyone really want to go out with someone who wanted to do a police check on them aswell? Also women can be violent aswell.

Dead right there, some of the most aggressive and violent people I have ever met are women who have 'overdosed' on alcohol.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:58 am

DIAMONDS wrote:yes its called claires law. One whole new law with the potential to affect every person in the land because of one misjudement of character by one person.

Sadly, that is the way governments react nowadays....one problem, the whole country gets the cure, a hangover from Blair's 'Nanny State' philosophy.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby The Graduate. » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:59 am

Trapezerjohn wrote:
DIAMONDS wrote:I agree with you. I would always trust my instincts over outside information anyway. Would anyone really want to go out with someone who wanted to do a police check on them aswell? Also women can be violent aswell.

Dead right there, some of the most aggressive and violent people I have ever met are women who have 'overdosed' on alcohol.

I would only ever hit anyone if they hurt my kids. No alcohol would be needed.
The Graduate.

Postby Raggamuffin » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:00 pm

It's not just about domestic violence anyway. Look at Cheryl Cole - she assaulted a women in some toilets, but does that make men wary of her?
Raggamuffin

Postby Trapper John » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:02 pm

DIAMONDS wrote:
Trapezerjohn wrote:

I would only ever hit anyone if they hurt my kids. No alcohol would be needed.

Which is fair enough, I expect most would agree.

Again though, sadly it isn't just a case of women defending themselves or their family anymore, a growing number of alcohol related attacks are carried out by women who feel that they have an excuse because they have gotten themselves blind, stinking drunk.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby wutang » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:03 pm

Coincidence they announce this the day after this story:

Women and children could die as a result of the Government’s legal aid cuts, warns a former attorney general, who will today make a last-ditch attempt to overturn the changes in the House of Lords....

Medical evidence from a GP, A&E, counsellor or women’s refugee would not be enough to qualify under the new proposals which are part of coalition plans to try and slash £350m from the legal aid bill.

Half of all domestic violence victims will not qualify for legal aid to help them and their children safely separate from abusive relationships, according to research by Rights of Women and Welsh Women’s Aid. While most victims surveyed had collaborative evidence to show they were receiving support, most would not satisfy the new rules.

So basically from now on its up to you to find out if the guy is a violent nut before hand because if he slaps the shit out of you and your kids you wont get any help taking him to court. Compassionate Conservatism!!!!
wutang

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs