recently filed in a form ... I can't be English

recently filed in a form ... I can't be English

Postby heavenlyfather » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:27 pm

It appears I can be scottish, irish even welsh on this form but not English, the nearest was British, even when I got the online live chat help online It could not be altered and to complete the form i had to put i am British...

this does not seem fair...
heavenlyfather

Re: recently filed in a form ... I can't be English

Postby McAz » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:33 pm

The News and Politics section is more appropriate for controversial topics. - you'll get a better response there. :thumbsup:
McAz

Postby Holly » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:10 am

Thread moved from the Snug!
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Vicky » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:15 am

Yes I agree.

I filled in a forum recently and was able to give my ethnicity as White Scottish, it's unfair people in England can't say English and have to say British.
Vicky

Postby PinkSmurf » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:18 am

heavenlyfather wrote:It appears I can be scottish, irish even welsh on this form but not English, the nearest was British, even when I got the online live chat help online It could not be altered and to complete the form i had to put i am British...

It seems English is a dirty word in some cases. Do you mind if I ask what the form was from? I've seen forms with White on them with or without the English question and usually with White Other.
PinkSmurf

Postby wutang » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:40 am

I too derive my self identity from box ticking on forms.

Its the only way to truly know ones-self
wutang

Postby Trapper John » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:25 am

Unsurprising, for over half a century it has been drummed into English people that they no right to a national identity, strangely enough, by people who celebrate the national identities and cultures of everyone else on the planet...odd that.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby PinkSmurf » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:39 am

Trapper John wrote:Unsurprising, for over half a century it has been drummed into English people that they no right to a national identity, strangely enough, by people who celebrate the national identities and cultures of everyone else on the planet...odd that.

So true! I completely agree with you. English people have been taught that our flag is "racist" and that we should be ashamed of our heritage. St Georges Day is also seen as a "racist" day out by many on the left. I don't class myself as on the left or on the right. I have views on lots of subjects however the left do get on my nerves a lot of the time. Middle class whites call working class or "underclass" whites as white trash or chavs a lot which is terrible. There's so much self loathing and misplaced guilt too among white people.
PinkSmurf

Postby wutang » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:43 am

Trapper John wrote:Unsurprising, for over half a century it has been drummed into English people that they no right to a national identity, strangely enough, by people who celebrate the national identities and cultures of everyone else on the planet...odd that.

The British national identitiy is the English national identity. There is a reason Americans still refer to Britain as England, and British people (like Andy Murray) as English, it's because historically that was the truth. The British national project was the English national project, England achieving its dream of dominating the British Isles - look at the National anthemn, 'rebellious scots to crush', crushed by who? the army of Westminister, the Army of London.

I dont think its a coincidence that the desire for an seperate 'English identity' has emerged because of greater independence for Scots, Welsh and Irish peoples, the British project is failing in its original intentions and no longer provides England with its identity.

Maybe we should just scrap the whole thing :trollface:
wutang

Postby Vicky » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:52 am

That reminds me..

Trapper John you had a pop at the Scots for booing the National Anthem, when Scotland played England, but went quiet, when i asked what you thought of the rebellious Scots to crush part of it.
Vicky

Postby Trapper John » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:16 pm

Victoria wrote:That reminds me..

Trapper John you had a pop at the Scots for booing the National Anthem, when Scotland played England, but went quiet, when i asked what you thought of the rebellious Scots to crush part of it.

1. I never had a pop at anything to do with the national anthem.
2. I didn't even know it contained a verse that said that.
3. You're to stop making things up again.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Vicky » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:25 pm

Trapper John wrote:
Victoria wrote:That reminds me..

1. I never had a pop at anything to do with the national anthem.
2. I didn't even know it contained a verse that said that.
3. You're to stop making things up again.

I told you about it in one of the old football threads, the day after you beat us at football.

Thousands of you, all gloating that morning!!
Vicky

Postby Keyser » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:09 pm

The English have been taught for decades to be ashamed of our history, our culture and our standing in the world whilst extolling the virtues of everyone else.

To not be able to say you are English on a form is absolutely ludicrous.
Keyser

Postby Stooo » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:42 pm

heavenlyfather wrote:It appears I can be scottish, irish even welsh on this form but not English, the nearest was British, even when I got the online live chat help online It could not be altered and to complete the form i had to put i am British...

English, British, European. I don't even mind putting my gender and which particular fantasy figure that I'm identifying as at the time. I mean, who cares?
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby McAz » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:47 pm

Keyser wrote:The English have been taught for decades to be ashamed of our history, our culture and our standing in the world whilst extolling the virtues of everyone else.

To not be able to say you are English on a form is absolutely ludicrous.

When I was at school we were taught to be proud (an equally silly concept imv) of Britain and what it had achieved - there was a big map on the wall with lots and lots of pink on it. We were taught nothing of the darker side of British history.
McAz

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs