Lefts 'day of rage' wednesday

Re: Lefts 'day of rage' wednesday

Postby Si_Crewe » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:20 pm

McAz wrote:Exercising the right to protest in a democracy is crazy shit conducted by loonies? Are you sure the BNP wouldn't be more up your alley?

It certainly can be.

The BNP have as much right as anybody to protest in a democracy but I wouldn't hesitate to criticise them on the basis that any "protest" they carried out would, most likely, just be an excuse to antagonise people and provoke violence.

When did it stop being acceptable to voice an opinion about people's motives or methods?
Si_Crewe

Postby McAz » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:23 pm

Si_Crewe wrote:
McAz wrote:Exercising the right to protest in a democracy is crazy shit conducted by loonies? Are you sure the BNP wouldn't be more up your alley?

It certainly can be.

The BNP have as much right as anybody to protest in a democracy but I wouldn't hesitate to criticise them on the basis that any "protest" they carried out would, most likely, just be an excuse to antagonise people and provoke violence.

When did it stop being acceptable to voice an op inion about people's motives or methods?

I thought you were concerned with the cost?
McAz

Postby Si_Crewe » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:24 pm

McAz wrote:I thought you were concerned with the cost?

I am.

Hence, "...motives or methods".
Si_Crewe

Postby McAz » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:28 pm

Si_Crewe wrote:
McAz wrote:I thought you were concerned with the cost?

I am.

Hence, "...motives or methods".

The right to protest is not dependent on the perceived value of the protest's cause or motive - thus the cost is an irrelevance.
McAz

Postby rollup » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:39 pm

Tell him Crewey it's the principle!
rollup

Postby Si_Crewe » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:53 pm

McAz wrote:The right to protest is not dependent on the perceived value of the protest's cause or motive - thus the cost is an irrelevance.

You don't really believe that, do you?

You're saying that, say, a bunch of BNP yobs protesting the availability of halal food are no more worthy of criticism that a bunch of people protesting over NHS cuts or education cuts?

Anyway, it seems that the whole "day of rage" thing turned out to be a bit of a damp squib, which I guess is another example of the disparity between online sentiment and the real world.
Si_Crewe

Postby Si_Crewe » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:53 pm

rollup wrote:Tell him Crewey it's the principle!

I realise it's an alien concept to you but it's not wise to mock things just because you don't understand them.
Si_Crewe

Postby McAz » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:00 am

Si_Crewe wrote:
McAz wrote:The right to protest is not dependent on the perceived value of the protest's cause or motive - thus the cost is an irrelevance.

You don't really believe that, do you?

You're saying that, say, a bunch of BNP yobs protesting the availability of halal food are no more worthy of criticism that a bunch of people protesting over NHS cuts or education cuts?

Anyway, it seems that the whole "day of rage" thing turned out to be a bit of a damp squib, which I guess is another example of the disparity between online sentiment and the real world.

Yes i do. The right to protest is sacrosanct. It's not for me to seek to censure or curtail on what I judge to be worthy or not.

In the real world the heat is overbearing - I wouldn't choose to tramp the streets. :dunno:
Last edited by McAz on Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
McAz

Postby rollup » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:00 am

Si_Crewe wrote:
rollup wrote:Tell him Crewey it's the principle!

I realise it's an alien concept to you but it's not wise to mock things just because you don't understand them.

I only mock your principles because you can't defend or explain them.
You can't because what you said is utterly meaningless and all it says is you voted Labour because your dad did.
Against everything you believed everything you felt to be right you voted for what you fear and despise.
rollup

Postby Si_Crewe » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:08 am

McAz wrote:Yes i do. The right to protest is sacrosanct. It's not for me to seek to censure or curtail on what I judge to be worthy or not.

I didn't suggest things should be curtailed. I don't see any problem with censuring things we find fault with though.

In the real world the heat is overbearing - I wouldn't choose to tramp the streets. :dunno:

I would, if it was a cause I felt strongly about.

Them principles again, I guess. :dunno:
Si_Crewe

Postby Si_Crewe » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:10 am

rollup wrote:You can't because what you said is utterly meaningless and all it says is you voted Labour because your dad did.

This only exists in your head.

Put down the crack pipe.
Si_Crewe

Postby McAz » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:11 am

Si_Crewe wrote:
McAz wrote:Yes i do. The right to protest is sacrosanct. It's not for me to seek to censure or curtail on what I judge to be worthy or not.

I didn't suggest things should be curtailed. I don't see any problem with censuring things we find fault with though.

I would, if it was a cause I felt strongly about.

Them principles again, I guess. :dunno:

When did you last tramp the streets in pursuit of your principles?
McAz

Postby Si_Crewe » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:32 am

McAz wrote:When did you last tramp the streets in pursuit of your principles?

The last time was about 2 months ago, organising a campaign to get utility companies to deal with local residents more fairly over charges for upgrading or replacing gas, water and electric supplies.
Before that, I was on a local council committee involved in getting fibre-optic broadband into small towns between Carlisle and Stranraer,
I've been an active member of the BASC for more than 20 years and I've been to Westminster and Edinburgh to speak to MPs, MSPs and lords about gun legislation - and succeeded in achieving a variety of concessions new bits of firearm legislation.
That also led to me acting on behalf of the paintball community between 2004 and 2007 to get concessions put into the VCRA, excluding paintball guns from legislation pertaining to other "imitation weapons".

Course, I didn't do any of that by myself. I was just one of a dozen or so people involved.

I like to think I've done my bit though. :thumbsup:
Si_Crewe

Postby rollup » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:34 am

Si_Crewe wrote:
rollup wrote:You can't because what you said is utterly meaningless and all it says is you voted Labour because your dad did.

This only exists in your head.

Put down the crack pipe.

You hate Corbyn and all he stands for.
You're convinced the parties policies will destroy the countries economy so you voted for them on principle.
That's what you said and you think I should be putting the crack pipe down!
rollup

Postby rollup » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:35 am

Si_Crewe wrote:
McAz wrote:When did you last tramp the streets in pursuit of your principles?

The last time was about 2 months ago, organising a campaign to get utility companies to deal with local residents more fairly over charges for upgrading or replacing gas, water and electric supplies.
Before that, I was on a local council committee involved in getting fibre-optic broadband into small towns between Carlisle and Stranraer,
I've been an active member of the BASC for more than 20 years and I've been to Westminster and Edinburgh to speak to MPs, MSPs and lords about gun legislation - and succeeded in achieving a variety of concessions new bits of firearm legislation.
That also led to me acting on behalf of the paintball community between 2004 and 2007 to get concessions put into the VCRA, excluding paintball guns from legislation pertaining to other "imitation weapons".

Course, I didn't do any of that by myself. I was just one of a dozen or so people involved.

I like to think I've done my bit though. :thumbsup:

You were the driver but good on you anyway.
rollup

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs