Poundland Slavery

Re: Poundland Slavery

Postby Cannydc » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:25 am

During an interview on BBC Radio 4's Today programme, Tory peer Lord Harris was asked to explain how leaving the EU would help young people.

He said: “It will give us more opportunity. It will give younger people more opportunity in this country and we won’t be controlled…”

When asked why, he replied: “Because we’ll have more freedom of laws.”

Asked what's wrong with the current laws, Lord Harris said: “Well if you take a retailer, we can only keep our staff on for 35 hours a week, I think it is now.”

After admitting "we haven't done too badly" when the presenter told him "you've done alright out of it," he added: "I just feel we would be better off out of the EU."

Lord Harris is now among the 1,000 richest people in the UK....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 22486.html
Cannydc

Postby wutang » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:15 am

Guest wrote:Your solution to low wages is to unite with the very people who are under cutting your pay lol

The people undercutting pay are the employers, and as this thread demonstrates those who oppose immigration are more than willing to defend them in doing so.

Meanwhile:

How Immigrants Are Leading the Fight for British Workers' Rights and Pay

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/qbnz ... ts-and-pay

Anti-immigration laws help employers exploit migrants by making their position too precarious to resist/fight back. By defending immigrant rights we entail they are able to join the fight for better workers rights.

wutang

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:05 am

wutang wrote:
Guest wrote:Your solution to low wages is to unite with the very people who are under cutting your pay lol

The people undercutting pay are the employers, and as this thread demonstrates those who oppose immigration are more than willing to defend them in doing so.

Meanwhile:

Anti-immigration laws help employers exploit migrants by making their position too precarious to resist/fight back. By defending immigrant rights we entail they are able to join the fight for better workers rights.

What utter bolloxs, The employers offer what the illegals are willing to accept simple as that. If the immigrants said no that's not enough, then the employer would have to up the ante. And as long as you have people willing to undercut the average wage. Then employers are never going to agree to increase it.

Postby Markey mark » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:01 am

My son in law quite high up in a large construction firm that employ thousands, as long they have the right tickets they employed immigrants, he said they are lot cheaper , easier to get rid off ,
Markey mark

Postby wutang » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:37 am

Guest wrote:What utter bolloxs, The employers offer what the illegals are willing to accept simple as that.

Thats because undocumented migrants have no ability to fight back against poor pay and conditions under threat of deportation. Established migrants can and I provided examples of this in my post (in fact migrant labour is proving to be more militant than local labour at the moment)

Guest wrote: If the immigrants said no that's not enough, then the employer would have to up the ante.

Or replace them with machines, or move the business elsewhere where labour is cheaper, or get the government to force people to take these jobs for less. You can always rely on the anti-benefits crew to demand "lazy sods" accept these jobs regardless of how low they are paying or face homelessness and destitution if they dont. Bosses love that shit.

We have to reject this right wing anti-working class bollocks in order to fight back, and that means defending benefits (which enables us to reject shit paying jobs) and defend immigration which allows us to unite with migrant workers for better conditions.

Your stance only benefits the bosses. But thats what right wing politics is all about.
wutang

Postby wutang » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:47 am

The other aspect of migration that gets overlooked is that they create demand within the economy which results in more jobs being created as a result. Every migrant worker is also a consumer, they spend money on goods and services like anyone else, this added consumption boosts economic activity which translates into more jobs.

For example if they are working in construction they are also living in houses which drives up the demand for housing, which means more houses get built ,meaning more construction jobs are needed, resulting in a higher demand for labour.

This is why studies into this doesn't back up the 'immigrants driving down wages' argument.
wutang

Postby Markey mark » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:13 am

wutang wrote:The other aspect of migration that gets overlooked is that they create demand within the economy which results in more jobs being created as a result. Every migrant worker is also a consumer, they spend money on goods and services like anyone else, this added consumption boosts economic activity which translates into more jobs.

For example if they are working in construction they are also living in houses which drives up the demand for housing, which means more houses get built ,meaning more construction jobs are needed, resulting in a higher demand for labour.

This is why studies into this doesn't back up the 'immigrants driving down wages' argument.

There was a two bedroom flat near me that was rented out to a Eastern Europe couple , within a month there was 28 Easter Europeans living in this small flat , all working , none were paying poll tax , some were working in a car wash were they was getting cash in hand ,so wasn't paying tax , the poor bloke that rented his flat out didn't get any rent either , just a deposit, toke him 9 months to evict them at a massive lost to him , I can show you many flats like this around London
Markey mark

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:29 am

Markey mark wrote:
wutang wrote:The other aspect of migration that gets overlooked is that they create demand within the economy which results in more jobs being created as a result. Every migrant worker is also a consumer, they spend money on goods and services like anyone else, this added consumption boosts economic activity which translates into more jobs.

There was a two bedroom flat near me that was rented out to a Eastern Europe couple , within a month there was 28 Easter Europeans living in this small flat , all working , none were paying poll tax , some were working in a car wash were they was getting cash in hand ,so wasn't paying tax , the poor bloke that rented his flat out didn't get any rent either , just a deposit, toke him 9 months to evict them at a massive lost to him , I can show you many flats like this around London

how do you know there were 28 people living there, where they were working, how they were paid, how much tax was paid & how much rent was paid?

Postby Cannydc » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:54 pm

Not 27

Or 29

There is no such thing as Poll Tax (for the last 24 years)

Council tax is paid by the flat's owner, as it was patently a 'house in multiple occupation' .

Apart from that, it's all good(ish).
Cannydc

Postby Markey mark » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:36 pm

Cannydc wrote:Not 27

Or 29

There is no such thing as Poll Tax (for the last 24 years)

Council tax is paid by the flat's owner, as it was patently a 'house in multiple occupation' .

Apart from that, it's all good(ish).

perhaps people should read terms and condition when signing up for flats , no sub letting ,
Markey mark

Postby wutang » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:50 pm

Markey mark wrote:

Cool story.
wutang

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:43 am

Markey mark wrote:About 7 years ago work for a firm that employed Eastern Europes , my job was to train them , non could speak English and it was a health and safety risk , someone at this firm had a nasty accident couple months later , cut the sorry short on my 3 rd day I found out some of them were getting paid £60 a week . I give my notice on the 4th day , what pisses me of this firm for years has been undercutting other firms by a mile , most of the council this firm put in tenders for , they knows what's going on but the councils what's the cheapest quotes , and turns a blind eye

They weren't the only ones who couldn't speak English. :roll:

Postby TRUEBRIT » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:08 am

Stooo wrote:
Red Okktober wrote:Blimey - you liberal lefties don't half like to exaggerate. Working for 'free' for 25-30 hours a week for 2-8 weeks, in return for jobseekers, housing benefit, and whatever else is up for grabs, is hardly 'slavery' in anyone's books.

Plus it actually is work experience, gets the lazy sods out of bed, and gives their lives a bit of discipline for a while. What else are they going to be doing during that time?

It's for 18-24 year olds only, so there's a fair chance many have never experienced work at all.

Poundland are getting free labour and we are paying for people to work for no reward. You actually agree with stuff like that?

My local poundland is staffed with immigrants, none of them can understand English so if it encourages them to fuck off back home I'm all for it.
TRUEBRIT

Postby McAz » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:25 am

You give your custom to Poundland, a foreign company, TRUEBRIT? :laughing:
McAz

Previous

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs