ENGLAND WORLD CUP WINNERS - AGAIN !!

ENGLAND WORLD CUP WINNERS - AGAIN !!

Postby Cannydc » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:28 pm

England U17s 5 - 2 Spain U17s

Magnificent, coming from 2-0 down.

http://www.thefa.com/news/2016/may/04/e ... ced-040516
Cannydc

Re: ENGLAND WORLD CUP WINNERS - AGAIN !!

Postby wutang » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:26 pm

I look forward to seeing these guys crash out of the 2nd round (on pens of course) at Euro 2028
wutang

Postby Vicky » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:31 pm

We'll never hear the end of it, the English are the biggest bores and braggers in the universe.
Vicky

Postby Cannydc » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:06 pm

Vicky wrote:We'll never hear the end of it, the English are the biggest bores and braggers in the universe.

Good job the Scots aren't bitter about their relative lack of success :whistle:
Cannydc

Postby Vicky » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:34 am

Cannydc wrote:
Vicky wrote:We'll never hear the end of it, the English are the biggest bores and braggers in the universe.

Good job the Scots aren't bitter about their relative lack of success :whistle:

Canny. :wubbers:

I know my remarks may come across as bitter and twisted due to me being Scottish, but you must admit, the English do brag a lot.

Most of you are still banging on about 1966.

Due you know a member here went in the huff, when he found out, i had never watched that game.

He seemed to think I was being outrageous, because I wasn't interested in Bobby Moore and co.

:header:
Vicky

Postby Cannydc » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:03 am

We went on our (one week) summer holiday that Saturday in 1966, to Clacton.

Arrived at the rented flat at 5 past 3, Dad had to find a shilling to put in the meter then the old b+w TV took ages to warm up.

The picture came on just as the Germans were celebrating their first goal. The rest is history.

TBH, I was a Jimmy Greaves fanatic (my nickname at school was Jimmy because of it) and I was always gutted Hurst played instead. We would have won 6-2 in normal time if Jimmy was in the team...

And, as a Norwich supporter, I am a realist if nothing else.
Cannydc

Postby Vicky » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:37 am

Cannydc wrote:We went on our (one week) summer holiday that Saturday in 1966, to Clacton.

Arrived at the rented flat at 5 past 3, Dad had to find a shilling to put in the meter then the old b+w TV took ages to warm up.

The picture came on just as the Germans were celebrating their first goal. The rest is history.

TBH, I was a Jimmy Greaves fanatic (my nickname at school was Jimmy because of it) and I was always gutted Hurst played instead. We would have won 6-2 in normal time if Jimmy was in the team...

Actually that final caused my Gran's two brothers to fall out with each other.

One got married the day of the final and the other said he was a selfish bastard, because he wanted to watch the game. (The fact the wedding had been booked months in advance cut no ice with him)

They never spoke to each other ever again.
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:00 am

Dave McKay must have been in the Spurs team at the time Jimmy Greaves was playing.

My dad reckons Dave McKay was the best player he had ever seen.

Of course Dave McKay couldn't play for England because he was Scottish.

Despite spending most of his life in England, he was brought back to Scotland for his funeral.

Hundreds lined the streets, I was quite touched.
Vicky

Postby Trapper John » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:51 am

Cannydc wrote:We went on our (one week) summer holiday that Saturday in 1966, to Clacton.

Please tell me it wasn't Jaywick Sands ..... coz if it was, I was there at exactly the same time. :yikes: Slot meter tellies the lot ... jeez an entirely different world. :shake head:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Cannydc » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:05 am

Vicky wrote:Dave McKay must have been in the Spurs team at the time Jimmy Greaves was playing.

Despite spending most of his life in England, he was brought back to Scotland for his funeral.

Yes, he certainly was in that Spurs team. Hard as nails with it. So were Jimmy Robertson and the great Alan Gilzean - both Scots of course. No foreign imports in those days, barring home nations plus Eire of course. A different era...
Cannydc

Postby Cannydc » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:08 am

Trapper John wrote:

Please tell me it wasn't Jaywick Sands ..... coz if it was, I was there at exactly the same time. :yikes: Slot meter tellies the lot ... jeez an entirely different world. :shake head:

No, it really was the middle of Clacton, near the pier. Rained most of the week :shake head:
Cannydc

Postby Trapper John » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:14 am

Cannydc wrote:
Trapper John wrote:

No, it really was the middle of Clacton, near the pier. Rained most of the week :shake head:

Yeah I remember the rain, we had two weeks though and the sun shone quite a lot a think, either that or my mum & dad made us go in the sea in the rain. :dunno:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:41 am

Cannydc wrote:
Vicky wrote:Dave McKay must have been in the Spurs team at the time Jimmy Greaves was playing.

Yes, he certainly was in that Spurs team. Hard as nails with it. So were Jimmy Robertson and the great Alan Gilzean - both Scots of course. No foreign imports in those days, barring home nations plus Eire of course. A different era...

Absolutely, this is the entire Arsenal squad who won the First division and FA cup double 1970/71 season, when the league had 22 teams not 20 and your cup runs consisted of a lot more games.

GK's
Bob Wilson [Scotland]
Geoff Barnett [England]

Def's
Frank McLintock [Scotland]
Bob McNab [England]
Sammy Nelson [Northern Ireland]
Pat Rice [Northern Ireland]
John Roberts [Wales]
Peter Simpson [England]
Peter Storey [England]
John Woodward [Scotland]

MF's
George Armstrong [England]
George Graham [Scotland]
Eddie Kelly [Scotland]
Ray Kennedy [England]
Jon Sammels [England]

Strk's
Paul Davies [Wales]
Charlie George [England]
Peter Marinello [Scotland]
John Radford [England]

And they wonder why we moan about modicoddled players these days. A squad in those days could play 60 games a season, individual players even more including internationals.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:55 pm

Hiya TJ
congratulations with the latest grand child mate :smilin:

and congrats to our boys, now lets do a Germany and keep em together and form a decent team

sadly tho
they wont play regular top flight footie
if they play at all
many of them will be broken and discarded
or spoilt with riches, or lodged to the lower leagues.

altho our Premier League is wonderful entertainment
its been killing our national team since it started

damn shame
Mark

Postby Cannydc » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:06 pm

Mark wrote:Hiya TJ
congratulations with the latest grand child mate :smilin:

and congrats to our boys, now lets do a Germany and keep em together and form a decent team

sadly tho
they wont play regular top flight footie
if they play at all
many of them will be broken and discarded
or spoilt with riches, or lodged to the lower leagues.

altho our Premier League is wonderful entertainment
its been killing our national team since it started

damn shame

I'm torn on that argument, Mark.

I have a pal whose son has, like dozens of others, been in a Prem League academy since 8 (he's 12 now) and the football learning experience is extraordinary.

Given those circumstances, if the talent is there, and good enough to play for England, they would be in first teams by 18 / 19. Beckham did, so did the others in the golden generation. As to them not being given time, that may be true, sadly. But clubs aren't charities.
Cannydc

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs