A FARTING MONSTER

A FARTING MONSTER

Postby Cannydc » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:05 pm

A thief who tells Paddington Bear to 'Fuck off', and a Muslim family daring to celebrate Christmas....

Anyone else think the big Christmas ads are slightly contentious this year ?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4892704/t ... im-family/

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... er-the-bed

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/mark ... 7-11478550
Cannydc

Re: A FARTING MONSTER

Postby Stooo » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:08 pm

Ads are made to sell stuff, outrage sells newspapers.

Happy Winterval :trollface:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Cannydc » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:12 pm

Stooo wrote:Ads are made to sell stuff, outrage sells newspapers.

Have you heard the M+S one, Stooo ?

I would swear he says 'fuck you', the other half says it's thank you....

Happy holidays to you :wurms: :doomed:
Cannydc

Postby Red Okktober » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:19 pm

What a load of politically correct old wank.

Both the M&S and John Lewis ads feature mixed race couples, despite mixed race couples only making up less than 10% of UK marriages. The combined odds of that happening statistically in both Xmas ads for 2 of our biggest retailers is over 100/1. It's simply not realistic.

And the Tesco Xmas one featuring muslims is bizarre. There's probably a fatwa out on those actors already.

I very much doubt a M&S Xmas ad featuring Paddington Bear, would contain the line 'fuck off' tbh

I'm not so sure planting the idea of monsters under kids beds is a good one either.
Red Okktober

Postby Gabby » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:21 pm

Cannydc wrote:
Stooo wrote:Ads are made to sell stuff, outrage sells newspapers.

Have you heard the M+S one, Stooo ?

I would swear he says 'fuck you', the other half says it's thank you....

Happy holidays to you :wurms: :doomed:

Happy Christmas! :canny:
Gabby

Postby Stooo » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:47 pm

Red Okktober wrote:What a load of politically correct old wank.

Both the M&S and John Lewis ads feature mixed race couples, despite mixed race couples only making up less than 10% of UK marriages. The combined odds of that happening statistically in both Xmas ads for 2 of our biggest retailers is over 100/1. It's simply not realistic.

And the Tesco Xmas one featuring muslims is bizarre. There's probably a fatwa out on those actors already.

I very much doubt a M&S Xmas ad featuring Paddington Bear, would contain the line 'fuck off' tbh

I'm not so sure planting the idea of monsters under kids beds is a good one either.

It's adverts. They make adverts to sell things to people.

This is basic stuff Red...
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Red Okktober » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:02 pm

Stooo wrote:It's adverts. They make adverts to sell things to people.

Well yeah, the concept of advertising is pretty basic. However, we're discussing and critiquing those ads aren't we?

Or do you unconditionally accept how those companies are trying to sell us things, without questioning them?

Do you think it realistic that UK households are being portrayed as being mixed race, and that muslim families celebrate Christmas ( I know that some do, but surely not enough percentage-wise to make it into an Xmas ad)?

It seems a bit dodgy to me - do you believe it, have they fooled you? Are you convinced same race couples are a thing of the past, and muslims are en masse racing around Tescos, filling up their trollies with turkeys, mince pies and Baileys?
Red Okktober

Postby Dean » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:09 pm

Red Okktober wrote:

Well yeah, the concept of advertising is pretty basic. However, we're discussing and critiquing those ads aren't we?

Or do you unconditionally accept how those companies are trying to sell us things, without questioning them?

Do you think it realistic that UK households are being portrayed as being mixed race, and that muslim families celebrate Christmas ( I know that some do, but surely not enough percentage-wise to make it into an Xmas ad)?

It seems a bit dodgy to me - do you believe it, have they fooled you? Are you convinced same race couples are a thing of the past, and muslims are en masse racing around Tescos, filling up their trollies with turkeys, mince pies and Baileys?

I think it’s worth it just to see how much it annoys racist twats on forums...
Dean

Postby Red Okktober » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:28 pm

Dean wrote:I think it’s worth it just to see how much it annoys racist twats on forums...

I wouldn't say the adverts 'annoy' people as such Dean, just that they're unrealistic.

Do you feel pointing out that these ads are unrealistic makes someone a 'racist twat'

Do you think I'm a 'racist twat' for pointing out the ads are unrealistic?

Do you think the UK is predominantly full of mixed race couples and muslims celebrating Christmas, as these ads portray? Have you been suckered in as well?
Red Okktober

Postby Stooo » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:34 pm

Red Okktober wrote:

I haven't got a TV, I'm happy to pay for radio and online access to the BBC because I know that the money gets ring fenced rather than bunged into the pool of general taxation.

Some UK households are mixed race, they are customers, adverts are aimed at potential customers.

Adverts are there to sell things.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Dean » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:41 pm

Red Okktober wrote:
Dean wrote:I think it’s worth it just to see how much it annoys racist twats on forums...

I wouldn't say the adverts 'annoy' people as such Dean, just that they're unrealistic.

Do you feel pointing out that these ads are unrealistic makes someone a 'racist twat'

Do you think I'm a 'racist twat' for pointing out the ads are unrealistic?

Do you think the UK is predominantly full of mixed race couples and muslims celebrating Christmas, as these ads portray? Have you been suckered in as well?

Of course there’s a racial element to it, yes. As for the ads, I haven’t seen them but if I had, I would not let it bother me as much as it obviously does you.
Dean

Postby Gabby » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:44 pm

The John Lewis one is shite..... some found it emotional :roll:
Gabby

Postby Red Okktober » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:49 pm

Stooo wrote:I haven't got a TV, I'm happy to pay for radio and online access to the BBC because I know that the money gets ring fenced rather than bunged into the pool of general taxation.

Some UK households are mixed race, they are customers, adverts are aimed at potential customers.

Of course there are many mixed race couples in the UK, around 10%. I can understand to a degree why advertisers might exaggerate that a little. But it's overkill now, and mixed race couples, ethnic and religious minorities are being overused to sell things.

Don't you see it?
Red Okktober

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:52 pm

Red Okktober wrote:
Stooo wrote:I haven't got a TV, I'm happy to pay for radio and online access to the BBC because I know that the money gets ring fenced rather than bunged into the pool of general taxation.

Of course there are many mixed race couples in the UK, around 10%. I can understand to a degree why advertisers might exaggerate that a little. But it's overkill now, and mixed race couples, ethnic and religious minorities are being overused to sell things.

Don't you see it?

Who cares really?
Maybe you're watching to much of this crap. Sounds like it.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Red Okktober » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:55 pm

Dean wrote:Of course there’s a racial element to it, yes. As for the ads, I haven’t seen them but if I had, I would not let it bother me as much as it obviously does you.

Dean, I'm not 'bothered' by the ads as such, just commenting on them in a thread about them.

Perhaps it would be a good idea if you took a look at them before suggesting people are 'racist twats' for pointing out how unrealistic they are.
Red Okktober

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs