Disability benefit changes ‘blatantly discriminate’

Re: Disability benefit changes ‘blatantly discriminate’

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:47 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Guest wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:The blue badge comes from the local council.
They decide who does and doesn't get one.
Nothing to do with benefits.
Of course there are people who scam it.
The local councils have spy cameras .... disposable spy cameras hidden in bushes etc to catch the scammers out.
You cannot make a diagnoses in a car park because the walk you see today may well be the last walk they make this week.

But I do know people who have them, and I don't understand why they have them. It's all legitimate, but it seems a bit of a free-for-all to me.

you might be seeing the disabled person's designated driver getting out of the car & walking around btw. as long as they're collecting the disabled person, for example, they're allowed to use the blue badge to park closer so the disabled person doesn't have to walk far.

sometimes unscrupulous family members will 'borrow' the badge for their own convenience, unbeknown to the disabled person.

Yeah, right.

a severely disabled person with physical & learning impairment is unlikely to be aware that their badge is being misappropriated.

Postby Raggamuffin » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:06 pm

Guest wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:
Guest wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:The blue badge comes from the local council.
They decide who does and doesn't get one.
Nothing to do with benefits.
Of course there are people who scam it.
The local councils have spy cameras .... disposable spy cameras hidden in bushes etc to catch the scammers out.
You cannot make a diagnoses in a car park because the walk you see today may well be the last walk they make this week.

But I do know people who have them, and I don't understand why they have them. It's all legitimate, but it seems a bit of a free-for-all to me.

you might be seeing the disabled person's designated driver getting out of the car & walking around btw. as long as they're collecting the disabled person, for example, they're allowed to use the blue badge to park closer so the disabled person doesn't have to walk far.

sometimes unscrupulous family members will 'borrow' the badge for their own convenience, unbeknown to the disabled person.

Yeah, right.

a severely disabled person with physical & learning impairment is unlikely to be aware that their badge is being misappropriated.

What about the ones who don't have severe physical and learning impairment though?
Raggamuffin

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:10 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:What about the ones who don't have severe physical and learning impairment though?

some of them might not know if someone 'borrows' it for a while & others might be happy to lend it out. individual circumstances & all that.

there's a lot of malpractice going on which ultimately rebounds on disabled people because it makes normal decent people, like you, a bit cynical about what's genuine & what isn't.

Postby Markey mark » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:33 pm

Guest wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:
So please tell me why some people with blue badges are getting out of their cars, walking around perfectly normally, no sign of tiredness, no sign of anything wrong.

I don't think disability benefits should be viewed as some kind of compensation, they should be viewed as financial help because of extra expenses involved, but nobody seems to be able to say what these extra expenses are.

it might be scum like markey's friends that he was boasting about that you're seeing, people who are willing to pay for & use blue badges stolen from vulnerable disabled people.

It happens up and down the uk , if you google there’s been doctors being exposed for taking bribes to give out blue badges

It not a boast it life , real life
Markey mark

Postby calitom » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:35 pm

we have disability stickers here as well...And I write them out for many people.
while there are certainly cheaters--u have to be careful about some person who is seemingly walking normally after getting out of a car. sometimes they are in great pain but still want to try and walk as normally as they can.Or they might be struggling to breath but want to try to be as normal as possible and not make a show of their disability.
And there are many neuropathies that come and go by the minute or hour where you get a reprieve for a short time but can kick in at any moment.
These people can be comfortable and almost normal functioning for short periods.Then at a moments notice they are in trouble.

so its important to not be a 'quick to judge' asshole.

ps--i dont charge to write out requests for parking stickers
calitom

Postby guest » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:44 am

Raggamuffin wrote:a severely disabled person with physical & learning impairment is unlikely to be aware that their badge is being misappropriated.

What about the ones who don't have severe physical and learning impairment though?[/quote]

So you will be appealing for the crucifixion of the judges that have ruled on this case :dunno:

Postby Lionel Jesse » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:36 pm

Fletch wrote:
Guest wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Guest wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I can understand that people with mental health issue may well find it difficult to travel, but are they doing their best to overcome their issues? It's not like they're confined to a wheelchair and can't do anything about it. Psychological problems can be overcome and treated.

Being confined to a wheelchair isn't often a problem these days, they have electric powered ones that enable you to go out and lead a normal life.

Apart from the walking and stuff, obviously?

Why some people in wheelchairs even win medals at sports events.

Claiming benefits for disability is not restricted to only those unable to work.

Not surprised to see the far right disagreeing with the Courts and the UN when it comes to benefits. All the country's problems have been caused by benefit claimants after all... :roll:

Disagreeing with the UN is the norm for any self respecting person. Vile organisation, corrupt, anti semetic, and ridiculously stupid (Mugabe folks, Mugabe...)

Anyway, how do people want this to work. A system with few if any checks, where anyone can claim and receive, or one with controls, used to prevent people taking advantage and defrauding the system?

And should people be assessed? At least once if not on a regular basis? Or simply believed? What about using their doctors. But what if their doctors is one of those who will sign off anything?
Lionel Jesse

Postby Major » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:36 pm

Does anyone on here know as a FACT how/if Psychological problems can be overcome and treated???
In which form is treatment????
Major
Twat.

Postby McAz » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:43 pm

Major wrote:Does anyone on here know as a FACT how/if Psychological problems can be overcome and treated???

In is widely accepted that EMDR and CBT have good success rates starbold.
McAz

Postby Cannydc » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:49 pm

Major wrote:Does anyone on here know as a FACT how/if Psychological problems can be overcome and treated???

Certainly.

Severe depression drug treatment allows millions to lead a near-normal life.

Severe phobias have a variety of treatments able to allow people to overcome their deep seated fears.

Many psychoses can be controlled by drugs.

Sadly there's no cure for severe racism.
Cannydc

Postby Lionel Jesse » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:54 pm

Should be noted these drugs are not perfect and do not work for everyone. Most patients will find themselves on dozens of different treatments over many years, some help, some dont and some cause further issues. I myself have had several in the past.

Theres a reason we, and every other country on earth are struggling to get a grip on mental health.
Lionel Jesse

Postby Cannydc » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:19 pm

Lionel Jesse wrote:Should be noted these drugs are not perfect and do not work for everyone. Most patients will find themselves on dozens of different treatments over many years, some help, some dont and some cause further issues. I myself have had several in the past.

Theres a reason we, and every other country on earth are struggling to get a grip on mental health.

Drugs aren't the only treatment. Counselling for one can be highly effective.
Cannydc

Postby Lionel Jesse » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:21 pm

I agree with that. I would like to see more counselling offered where possible as it can make a huge difference.
Lionel Jesse

Postby McAz » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:26 pm

Lionel Jesse wrote:I agree with that. I would like to see more counselling offered where possible as it can make a huge difference.

Counselling is available in Cumbria within weeks after assessment (including from self-referral) - it's been very successful by all accounts.
McAz

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs