Disability benefit changes ‘blatantly discriminate’

Re: Disability benefit changes ‘blatantly discriminate’

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:19 pm

Fletch wrote:
Guest wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Guest wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I can understand that people with mental health issue may well find it difficult to travel, but are they doing their best to overcome their issues? It's not like they're confined to a wheelchair and can't do anything about it. Psychological problems can be overcome and treated.

Being confined to a wheelchair isn't often a problem these days, they have electric powered ones that enable you to go out and lead a normal life.

Apart from the walking and stuff, obviously?

Why some people in wheelchairs even win medals at sports events.

Claiming benefits for disability is not restricted to only those unable to work.

Not surprised to see the far right disagreeing with the Courts and the UN when it comes to benefits. All the country's problems have been caused by benefit claimants after all... :roll:

But mental health issues were always excluded from that fact as they were always a permanent bar to any kind of employment?

Interesting thread this :thumbsup:

Postby mother thresa » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:45 pm

Fletch wrote:
Guest wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Guest wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I can understand that people with mental health issue may well find it difficult to travel, but are they doing their best to overcome their issues? It's not like they're confined to a wheelchair and can't do anything about it. Psychological problems can be overcome and treated.

Being confined to a wheelchair isn't often a problem these days, they have electric powered ones that enable you to go out and lead a normal life.

Apart from the walking and stuff, obviously?

Why some people in wheelchairs even win medals at sports events.

Claiming benefits for disability is not restricted to only those unable to work.

Not surprised to see the far right disagreeing with the Courts and the UN when it comes to benefits. All the country's problems have been caused by benefit claimants after all... :roll:

Far right christian evangelists? :thud:
mother thresa

Postby bristollisa » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:50 pm

Many years ago when I was younger, fitter, I was easily taken in by press reports about an easy lifestyle on benefits. Sadly, due to two frozen shoulders, swollen knees, I can't work. I had never claimed benefits since leaving school, now in the very early fifties and for the first time in 2017 I had to sign on. They made me feel small. Having said that there are caring people in there. I'm now on a third course with the DWP and hoping to get an office based job.
bristollisa

Postby Raggamuffin » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:35 pm

Guest wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:
Guest wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:
Guest wrote:
Every effort should be made if the individual feels up to it, they shouldn't be forced though and they are almost certainly going to be in the esa support group where there is no requirement to attend sessions etc anyway.

In order to claim PIP, they must have been affected for three months - three months where they could have asked for help and treatment. PIP is supposed to help with extra expenses for those who have disabilities, it's not supposed to be for normal living expenses. What extra expenses would such a person have? They might also be getting ESA, so they're not going to be destitute.

With any chronic illess or condition, if it can be treated and/or controlled, is it not reasonable to expect someone to try to lessen the problem so that they don't need these benefits?

The extra expenses would probably be taxis or mini cabs so that they can get about more as social anxieties would mean that they are unable to travel on public forms of transport.

They would have already tried treatments as to qualify for PIP they would need to show medical evidence and a history that they are in need of it.

First bit - isn't that just compounding the problem though rather than helping it? They are being encouraged to carry on with their anxiety by getting money in order to do so.

I don't think they need to have tried treatment, they just need a diagnosis, and an indication of how severe their problem is. That's not the same as having treatment. There are also physical conditions which can be debilitating but can be eased or modified via drugs.

The less worst cases would have been put into the work related esa activity group, where they would be required to undertake programs to improve their conditions.

It's only the worst cases that would get put into the esa support group, where there is very little chance of any improvement, forcing them to undertake treatments would make them more ill and then they would go on to claim pesonal independence payments after that.

The UN has ruled that it's wrong to discriminate against these people and the judges agree, so you are in a minority of uncharitable thinking there. :shake head:

There's nothing uncharitable about being against people getting the wrong sort of help - ie, money - when they could get help to live a normal life.
Raggamuffin

Postby Raggamuffin » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:36 pm

guest wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:
Guest wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:
Guest wrote:
Every effort should be made if the individual feels up to it, they shouldn't be forced though and they are almost certainly going to be in the esa support group where there is no requirement to attend sessions etc anyway.

In order to claim PIP, they must have been affected for three months - three months where they could have asked for help and treatment. PIP is supposed to help with extra expenses for those who have disabilities, it's not supposed to be for normal living expenses. What extra expenses would such a person have? They might also be getting ESA, so they're not going to be destitute.

With any chronic illess or condition, if it can be treated and/or controlled, is it not reasonable to expect someone to try to lessen the problem so that they don't need these benefits?

The extra expenses would probably be taxis or mini cabs so that they can get about more as social anxieties would mean that they are unable to travel on public forms of transport.

They would have already tried treatments as to qualify for PIP they would need to show medical evidence and a history that they are in need of it.

First bit - isn't that just compounding the problem though rather than helping it? They are being encouraged to carry on with their anxiety by getting money in order to do so.

I don't think they need to have tried treatment, they just need a diagnosis, and an indication of how severe their problem is. That's not the same as having treatment. There are also physical conditions which can be debilitating but can be eased or modified via drugs.

Are you jealous of those very ill people that get support from the government.. to be able to live a half decent life financilally after they have fought for it? :off head:

Are you jealous that you can't ever feel anything but bitterness?
Raggamuffin

Postby Stooo » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:38 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
There's nothing uncharitable about being against people getting the wrong sort of help - ie, money - when they could get help to live a normal life.

Normal life is subjective, surely?

How do you stand on UBI?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... lot-scheme
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Raggamuffin » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:45 pm

Stooo wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

How do you stand on UBI?

It's not really normal to be mentally ill is it?
Raggamuffin

Postby Markey mark » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:47 pm

Remember few years back I went to doctor with a young lady I had fostered as a kid , she sufferers from mental illness, reason she went to the doctors was she kept getting stomach pains , the doctor said she give her Paracetamol should do the job , as the doctor was writing the prescription out , I said don’t worry I buy some In Morrison’s 49p per pack , doctor said save your money as the young lady was on job seekers allowance, and she untitled to free medication,
Markey mark

Postby Raggamuffin » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:48 pm

Stooo wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

How do you stand on UBI?

Obviously, I'd quite like to get money for doing nothing, but I think it would encourage some people to not bother to work - mainly young people who can live at home and do nothing.
Raggamuffin

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:55 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:

I think that you are the one that is showing bitterness in this thread, hence your actions to deflect. :roll:

Postby Stooo » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:13 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

How do you stand on UBI?

Obviously, I'd quite like to get money for doing nothing, but I think it would encourage some people to not bother to work - mainly young people who can live at home and do nothing.

Why mainly young people? That's silly.

If people want to work then they do otherwise we'd all be on sodding benefits. UBI cuts out the bullshit and allows you to exist and able to enhance it with wages.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Raggamuffin » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:28 pm

Guest wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I think that you are the one that is showing bitterness in this thread, hence your actions to deflect. :roll:

Cowardly trolling guests don't have valid opinions.
Raggamuffin

Postby Raggamuffin » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:29 pm

Stooo wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

How do you stand on UBI?

If people want to work then they do otherwise we'd all be on sodding benefits. UBI cuts out the bullshit and allows you to exist and able to enhance it with wages.

Young people are more likely to live at home with their parents, yes? There was nothing "silly" about my post.
Raggamuffin

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:34 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

How do you stand on UBI?

Young people are more likely to live at home with their parents, yes? There was nothing "silly" about my post.

did you help around the farm after you left school fenella...
or was it straight down the abbatoir
:mrgreen:
Big Fat Frosty

Postby Stooo » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:48 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

How do you stand on UBI?

Because the cost of accommodation is prohibitive. They work and pay taxes but are unable to earn enough to pay rent.
Stooo
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs