Banning Hijabs

Re: Banning Hijabs

Postby McAz » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:46 pm

Rockstar wrote:
McAz wrote:
It works for my family - and millions like them. If god exists his followers will find him regardless. :dunno:

It may not work for the other millions...To each their own...

Indeed - which is why I don't advocate the outlawing of faith.
McAz

Postby Puzzler » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:46 pm

Rockstar wrote:
McAz wrote:
Islam is a choice - just as atheism. Children grow up fine in both environments. Though it is not essential for atheists to teach atheist values to their children - I let mine choose, as I was free to choose.

It is essential from a Muslim perspective to teach their Muslim kids about Islam... It is natural for a parent to want his kid to walk his steps in life...

Complete bollocks. My parents were Christian but gave me a CHOICE, didn’t have me brainwashed at church 5 times a day - all you are doing is confirming how repressive of individuality islam tends to be. How is a kid supposed to make up their own mind as an adult when their whole life has been dominated by their religion? When it’s likely their whole community devoutly follows said religion and at best ostracises those who choose to turn their back on it?
Puzzler

Postby Puzzler » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:47 pm

McAz wrote:
Rockstar wrote:
McAz wrote:
It works for my family - and millions like them. If god exists his followers will find him regardless. :dunno:

Faith schools should be banned though.
Puzzler

Postby Maddog » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:12 pm

McAz wrote:
Maddog wrote:
McAz wrote:
Maddog wrote:Me and the very undevout Muslim GF were discussing this awhile back. Neither one of us agree on bans, but she does think its a bit silly for Muslims to move to western countries and wear it. She thinks that since it's not common, that it simply draws more attention to a woman. A modestly dressed woman would draw less attention than one in a hijab. Also, there's the women wearing painted on pants while wearing the hijab. I'm more of an ass man than a hair man, so the whole hijab thing ain't working.

Is the scarf for sexually modesty? I thought it was to show respect to their god. :dunno:

It's to not be dressed like a hoochie mama to put it in a.common vernacular.

Well if that's the case it doesn't work.

Nope. If there is a positive from decades of communist oppression in the Balkans it's that the Muslims of the region practice a very different form of the religion, especially those here in the US.
Maddog

Postby Avon Barksdale » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:14 pm

Puzzler wrote:
McAz wrote:
Rockstar wrote:
McAz wrote:

Faith schools tends to be a good way for kids with disadvantaged backgrounds to get a decent education though and helps with social mobility.

If what is being taught in faith schools comes into direct conflict with modern secular values then they will have to fall in line or face sanctions but banning them could have a detrimental impact for many kids.
Avon Barksdale

Postby McAz » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:15 pm

Puzzler wrote:
McAz wrote:
Rockstar wrote:
McAz wrote:

State-aided faith schools, yes. In a secular society public money should not fund religion - and that includes giving charitable status and tax breaks.
McAz

Postby Trapper John » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:22 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:
Puzzler wrote:
McAz wrote:
Rockstar wrote:
McAz wrote:

Faith schools tends to be a good way for kids with disadvantaged backgrounds to get a decent education though and helps with social mobility.

If what is being taught in faith schools comes into direct conflict with modern secular values then they will have to fall in line or face sanctions but banning them could have a detrimental impact for many kids.

Very true and more importantly they don't get infested nearly as much with liberal lefty trend setters like other state schools do.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Avon Barksdale » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:44 pm

Trapper John wrote:
Very true and more importantly they don't get infested nearly as much with liberal lefty trend setters like other state schools do.

Lol. I'll take your word for it.

I keep changing my mind on the issue as there are good arguments on both sides. However, I have come to the conclusion that banning faith schools would funnel resources and advantage to middle class families while penalising less wealthy families (where it seems to me that faith is more important.)
Avon Barksdale

Postby Punk » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:21 pm

Puzzler wrote:
McAz wrote:
Rockstar wrote:
McAz wrote:

Yeah the CofE will love that but then they would be less likely to have more child abuse payouts.
Punk

Previous

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs