NO BREXIT LIKELY UNTIL THE NEXT PARLIAMENT

Re: NO BREXIT LIKELY UNTIL THE NEXT PARLIAMENT

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:05 pm

Stooo wrote:
Guest wrote:
The LDs could go one of three ways - trundle along as they are, be squeezed out of existence as Tories and Labour become more entrenched at their extreme ends (viz the more moderate NI parties losing out to Sinn Fein and the DUP.), or re-emerge as the other two splinter in the face of internal dissension. The Tories yet again look to be in deep shite over Europe, Labour's momentum (pun intended) may have peaked too soon.
I think there's probably a major realignment on the way for you in England, but it's all up in the air just how it will pan out- none of your 3 main parties seem capable of deciding what it is they stand for, and what makes it worse for them, they don't seem to know what it is they oppose.
As the Chinese saying goes "We live in interesting times".

We've suffered from the same shit for decades. When people get polled then they agree with us and would like to implement our policies but there's an issue and it's due to personality.

Back in the 70's we just had the Liberal party which was shit and led by Thorpe. The Lib/Con government was mooted and Thorpe got all of that shit about trying to assassinate Norman Scott, from what I remember at the time the outrage was mainly fired at Thorpe because he was a homosexual. The liberals were the party of queers.

Don't get me wrong, we've had our good times, Paddy, Charlie and Nick were inspirational leaders, Tim not so much. And so we're stuck with the problem of why people don't vote LD, it's because they like our policies but feel that we don't stand a chance.

Thorpe kinda epitomised the Liberal Party at the time - too right-wing for its own more radical element, too left-wing for the more traditionalists. (Slightly off-topic, but that's been the Lib's problem since the rise of Labour in the 1920s ;a lot of policies which appeal to all sides, but also a lot which potential Tory/Labour voters think are far too close to the other side; it leaves potential voters feeling that it's pointless voting for 50% of what they want when they can vote for the 100% pure Tory/Labour candidates).
I remember the Scott affair too, but I'm not too sure Thorpe's sexuality was the main cause of outrage. The Libs, as well as being seen as wishy-washy, muesli-eating sandal-wearers etc. were certainly seen as a "bunch of poofs", but I can remember that a huge amount of disgust was directed at the "hitman" shooting Scott's Great Dane, and a lot of that rubbed off on Thorpe.

To be honest, I wonder if there is a future for the LibDems. The social matters they were so in favour of, like legalising homosexuality and same-sex marriage have been achieved, Westminster voting reform looks dead for the foreseeable future,
(though we managed it for Holyrood, so it's not impossible), Labour look like regaining the idealistic youth vote. You're even struggling in your post-1920s heartlands - the West Highlands, Na h-Eileanan an lar, Borders , West Wales, SW England, though that might be down to the lessening of the good MP irrespective of Party factor.

You're right about the leaders- the first 3 you mention had their faults, but were charismatic and well-liked, more than the Party I'd say, but Farron did a remarkable job of being simultaneously bland and controversial!!. Do you think Cable is going to be any more than an interim leader? Are there any younger MPs you can see having the potential?

The above does look like pretty grim reading for you and your fellow LDs, Stooo, but I wouldn't be too despondent about the last Election performance. It was as much about Brexit and the aftermath as it was the normal domestic issues, it'll be seen as a one-off when it's studied in the futureThe first post-Brexit election (if Brexit actually occurs) is probably going to be just as big a cluster-fuck - i think it will take at least a decade, maybe two, before the dust settles. I expect us to be independent by then, Ni and Ro Ito be in a closer, federal relationship, but not unified, leaving England and Wales to sort out your own future.

Actually, having just heard Brussels' conditions that Britain still adheres to its rules in the transition deal, I think the split in the Tories has just come much, much more likely - could well give you the chance to jump in there and seize the centre-ground. :more beer:

Postby Lionel Jesse » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:12 pm

But we're not leaving our allies, were still very much a part of the UN and NATO. There's no plans for that to change going forward.
Lionel Jesse

Postby McAz » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:15 pm

Lionel Jesse wrote:But we're not leaving our allies, were still very much a part of the UN and NATO. There's no plans for that to change going forward.

Neither provide for free movement of goods, capital, services, and labour.
McAz

Postby Stooo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:31 pm

Guest wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Guest wrote:
The LDs could go one of three ways - trundle along as they are, be squeezed out of existence as Tories and Labour become more entrenched at their extreme ends (viz the more moderate NI parties losing out to Sinn Fein and the DUP.), or re-emerge as the other two splinter in the face of internal dissension. The Tories yet again look to be in deep shite over Europe, Labour's momentum (pun intended) may have peaked too soon.
I think there's probably a major realignment on the way for you in England, but it's all up in the air just how it will pan out- none of your 3 main parties seem capable of deciding what it is they stand for, and what makes it worse for them, they don't seem to know what it is they oppose.
As the Chinese saying goes "We live in interesting times".

We've suffered from the same shit for decades. When people get polled then they agree with us and would like to implement our policies but there's an issue and it's due to personality.

Back in the 70's we just had the Liberal party which was shit and led by Thorpe. The Lib/Con government was mooted and Thorpe got all of that shit about trying to assassinate Norman Scott, from what I remember at the time the outrage was mainly fired at Thorpe because he was a homosexual. The liberals were the party of queers.

Don't get me wrong, we've had our good times, Paddy, Charlie and Nick were inspirational leaders, Tim not so much. And so we're stuck with the problem of why people don't vote LD, it's because they like our policies but feel that we don't stand a chance.

Thorpe kinda epitomised the Liberal Party at the time - too right-wing for its own more radical element, too left-wing for the more traditionalists. (Slightly off-topic, but that's been the Lib's problem since the rise of Labour in the 1920s ;a lot of policies which appeal to all sides, but also a lot which potential Tory/Labour voters think are far too close to the other side; it leaves potential voters feeling that it's pointless voting for 50% of what they want when they can vote for the 100% pure Tory/Labour candidates).
I remember the Scott affair too, but I'm not too sure Thorpe's sexuality was the main cause of outrage. The Libs, as well as being seen as wishy-washy, muesli-eating sandal-wearers etc. were certainly seen as a "bunch of poofs", but I can remember that a huge amount of disgust was directed at the "hitman" shooting Scott's Great Dane, and a lot of that rubbed off on Thorpe.

To be honest, I wonder if there is a future for the LibDems. The social matters they were so in favour of, like legalising homosexuality and same-sex marriage have been achieved, Westminster voting reform looks dead for the foreseeable future,
(though we managed it for Holyrood, so it's not impossible), Labour look like regaining the idealistic youth vote. You're even struggling in your post-1920s heartlands - the West Highlands, Na h-Eileanan an lar, Borders , West Wales, SW England, though that might be down to the lessening of the good MP irrespective of Party factor.

You're right about the leaders- the first 3 you mention had their faults, but were charismatic and well-liked, more than the Party I'd say, but Farron did a remarkable job of being simultaneously bland and controversial!!. Do you think Cable is going to be any more than an interim leader? Are there any younger MPs you can see having the potential?

The above does look like pretty grim reading for you and your fellow LDs, Stooo, but I wouldn't be too despondent about the last Election performance. It was as much about Brexit and the aftermath as it was the normal domestic issues, it'll be seen as a one-off when it's studied in the futureThe first post-Brexit election (if Brexit actually occurs) is probably going to be just as big a cluster-fuck - i think it will take at least a decade, maybe two, before the dust settles. I expect us to be independent by then, Ni and Ro Ito be in a closer, federal relationship, but not unified, leaving England and Wales to sort out your own future.

Actually, having just heard Brussels' conditions that Britain still adheres to its rules in the transition deal, I think the split in the Tories has just come much, much more likely - could well give you the chance to jump in there and seize the centre-ground. :more beer:

We got stung by the tories, a lesson learned. The financial crisis happened and then an election while everything went to shit there was a decision as to force another election or try to form a government in a time of crisis knowing that you will get shat on at the end of it.

I'll keep trying.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Lionel Jesse » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:34 pm

McAz wrote:
Lionel Jesse wrote:How can an "Internationalist" be pro EU?

The UK is trying to make itself more international, not less. Hence the wanting to leave the EU club, a club which heavily restricts outside influence and trade...

Just about the only thing not restricted heavily is the US military, because God forbid the EU might actually pay for something itself...

Ultimately internationalism seeks the end of national, cultural, political, class and racial barriers - the EU with its "four freedoms" is a small step in that direction.

Suppose so... A 28 nation club made primarily of wealthy nations, largely white populations...
Lionel Jesse

Postby McAz » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:35 pm

Lionel Jesse wrote:
McAz wrote:
Lionel Jesse wrote:How can an "Internationalist" be pro EU?

The UK is trying to make itself more international, not less. Hence the wanting to leave the EU club, a club which heavily restricts outside influence and trade...

Just about the only thing not restricted heavily is the US military, because God forbid the EU might actually pay for something itself...

Ultimately internationalism seeks the end of national, cultural, political, class and racial barriers - the EU with its "four freedoms" is a small step in that direction.

Suppose so... A 28 nation club made primarily of wealthy nations, largely white populations...

Small steps.
McAz

Postby Lionel Jesse » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:39 pm

McAz wrote:
Lionel Jesse wrote:But we're not leaving our allies, were still very much a part of the UN and NATO. There's no plans for that to change going forward.

Is free movement of labour a good thing though?

How many others do it around the world? Or is having at least some basic restrictions the norm?
Lionel Jesse

Postby McAz » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:41 pm

Lionel Jesse wrote:
McAz wrote:

How many others do it around the world? Or is having at least some basic restrictions the norm?

The US does it.
McAz

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:58 pm

Passport color leaves May blue in the face

Only two weeks before the Davos incident, the EU was collectively rolling its eyes at yet another blunder by May. The Tory leader moved to bring back the blue passport for the United Kingdom, promoting the change as a post-Brexit move towards “sovereignty and independence.”

German MEP Manfred Weber was having none of it. He called the passport story a “drastic example for the lack of leadership.”

“The first problem in this respect is about honesty – the whole story is a scam,” he told the Scotsman.

“EU law does not say anything about passport colors. Croatia have navy blue passports for years already, you didn’t have to leave the Union for that, so why do you not tell people the truth?”

Again, May’s failed negotiation attempts were highlighted.

“The blue passports are the first and the only real thing the British Government has achieved in more than one-and-a-half years of negotiations,” he added.

https://www.retarded.com/uk/417303-theresa-may-list-mocked/

:pmsl:

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:14 pm

McAz wrote:
Lionel Jesse wrote:
McAz wrote:

The US does it.

So does China - the internal market in China covers over 2 billion people with multiple races, languages, cultures and religions - although we think of China as one monolithic country it's actually far more akin to multiple countries with a common currency and freedom of movement, at least withing Chinese borders, of goods, capital, services and labour. In fact it was introducing that freedom, absent under earlier Communist Regimes, that has led to China's rapid growth.

Postby Lionel Jesse » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:54 pm

McAz wrote:
Lionel Jesse wrote:
McAz wrote:

The US does it.

NO.... it doesnt...

The US acts as one nation, the EU is not. The US is a large version of the UK, as in all nations act as one. Some aspects are devolved of course but mostly the nation acts as 1.
Lionel Jesse

Postby Lionel Jesse » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:59 pm

Guest wrote:
McAz wrote:
Lionel Jesse wrote:
McAz wrote:

The US does it.

So does China - the internal market in China covers over 2 billion people with multiple races, languages, cultures and religions - although we think of China as one monolithic country it's actually far more akin to multiple countries with a common currency and freedom of movement, at least withing Chinese borders, of goods, capital, services and labour. In fact it was introducing that freedom, absent under earlier Communist Regimes, that has led to China's rapid growth.

So you are mentally deficient as well?

China is one nation, under one highly oppressive regime where rights are, lets say, questionable.

Educate yourself before making utterly ridiculous claims - https://www.citymetric.com/politics/chi ... -city-2697
Lionel Jesse

Postby Lionel Jesse » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:59 pm

If any of you two are in doubt, refer to my avatar.
Lionel Jesse

Postby Snookerballs » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:07 pm

Lionel Jesse wrote:
McAz wrote:
Lionel Jesse wrote:
McAz wrote:

The US does it.

NO.... it doesnt...

The US acts as one nation, the EU is not. The US is a large version of the UK, as in all nations act as one. Some aspects are devolved of course but mostly the nation acts as 1.

The US has free movement of labour from New Zealand and Australia during Sheep Shearing time , same as UK.

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/04/26/us/new-zealanders-thrive-on-us-sheep-shearing.html
Snookerballs

Postby McAz » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:11 pm

Lionel Jesse wrote:
McAz wrote:
Lionel Jesse wrote:
McAz wrote:

The US does it.

NO.... it doesnt...

The four freedoms enabled the EU to act as one nation in respect of the freedom of movement of goods, people, services and capital across borders - it was the fear of this by little Englanders that led to Brexit.
McAz

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs