Why are we paying exhorbitant prices to watch things.

Why are we paying exhorbitant prices to watch things.

Postby Rocthedog » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:03 pm

OK I will explain, Why are we paying such high prices to keep celebrity's and footballers in their life style. Do you not think their wages and salaries have spiraled out of control. 500.000 thou a week to Sanchez, 4 million plus to film stars. Just to mention a couple. I do no longer wish to take myself my missus and my two sons to a football match, due to exorbitant costs. Have you recently gone out for a meal lately, 109 quid for me and my missus. And I did not buy myself a drink (Driving) fricking shocking, she had a small bottle of wine 42 quid I discovered when paying the bill. I could have stayed at home bought a bottle of wine at any super market, had a drink ordered a take away. Just read some chef bloke buys Ferrari's. You me and others buy those for him. We must be stupid.Whats your thoughts.
Rocthedog

Re: Why are we paying exhorbitant prices to watch things.

Postby Lady Murasaki » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:10 pm

I'm not stupid.
I don't pay for things I don't want to pay for.
The only football I'm interested in is the World Cup, the rest of it doesn't affect my life, except when son wants it on the tv, no big deal. He manages to get free tickets to matches through people he knows but he'd probably pay a lot for certain matches if he had to.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Lady Murasaki » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:06 pm

You're not a real person are you Roc?
:customs:
I'm good at sussing out fake personas.
Confess.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Cannydc » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:04 pm

Rocthedog wrote:OK I will explain, Why are we paying such high prices to keep celebrity's and footballers in their life style. Do you not think their wages and salaries have spiraled out of control. 500.000 thou a week to Sanchez, 4 million plus to film stars. Just to mention a couple. I do no longer wish to take myself my missus and my two sons to a football match, due to exorbitant costs. Have you recently gone out for a meal lately, 109 quid for me and my missus. And I did not buy myself a drink (Driving) fricking shocking, she had a small bottle of wine 42 quid I discovered when paying the bill. I could have stayed at home bought a bottle of wine at any super market, had a drink ordered a take away. Just read some chef bloke buys Ferrari's. You me and others buy those for him. We must be stupid.Whats your thoughts.

I'll do the football one for you.

The real money is in two things - TV rights and Shirts / replica kits

Sky pay clubs billions for TV rights, which gives them the means to bid for the best players the world has to offer. And there ain't enough to go round, so prices are what they are. And then the merry-go-round is fuelled by greedy agents and the clubs themselves charging megabucks for tickets because 'we all want to see the best players'.

When Beckham left Spain, the club estimated that they lost £30m a year in lost kit sales. Another reason the likes of Sanchez is worth so much.

We may not like it, but we are talking market forces here - and the same applies to TV 'stars'.
Cannydc

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:52 pm

I lost interest in football when I discovered girls.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Trapper John » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:12 pm

Cannydc wrote:
Rocthedog wrote:OK I will explain, Why are we paying such high prices to keep celebrity's and footballers in their life style. Do you not think their wages and salaries have spiraled out of control. 500.000 thou a week to Sanchez, 4 million plus to film stars. Just to mention a couple. I do no longer wish to take myself my missus and my two sons to a football match, due to exorbitant costs. Have you recently gone out for a meal lately, 109 quid for me and my missus. And I did not buy myself a drink (Driving) fricking shocking, she had a small bottle of wine 42 quid I discovered when paying the bill. I could have stayed at home bought a bottle of wine at any super market, had a drink ordered a take away. Just read some chef bloke buys Ferrari's. You me and others buy those for him. We must be stupid.Whats your thoughts.

I'll do the football one for you.

The real money is in two things - TV rights and Shirts / replica kits

Sky pay clubs billions for TV rights, which gives them the means to bid for the best players the world has to offer. And there ain't enough to go round, so prices are what they are. And then the merry-go-round is fuelled by greedy agents and the clubs themselves charging megabucks for tickets because 'we all want to see the best players'.

When Beckham left Spain, the club estimated that they lost £30m a year in lost kit sales. Another reason the likes of Sanchez is worth so much.

We may not like it, but we are talking market forces here - and the same applies to TV 'stars'.

I think people would be astounded at how much footballers really earn. It says something when a relatively unknown player from Spain, Aymeric Laporte, has reportedly agreed to pay his 'get out clause' of 65million euros himself so he can join Manchester City this transfer window. :ooer:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby McAz » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:20 pm

One of my favourite books as a child was about Tommy Lawton. If memory serves me. he earned 30 quid a week and ordinary working folk could afford to go to matches and a post match pint and pie. I no longer pay to watch football in any avoidable form.
McAz

Postby Lionel Jesse » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:30 pm

On footballers... If it didn't go on their pockets, it would go in the owners pockets. So given that choice, I would rather the players, many of whom are kids from poorer backgrounds got it.
Lionel Jesse

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:01 pm

The combination of TV rights, advertising rights and sponsorship means that every single Premiership club could open the gates and let the crowd in for free and still make money. The reason clubs charge the ticket prices they do is because they can.

If everyone decided not to go one week it wouldn't matter one jot to the clubs.

Postby Trapper John » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:06 pm

Lionel Jesse wrote:On footballers... If it didn't go on their pockets, it would go in the owners pockets. So given that choice, I would rather the players, many of whom are kids from poorer backgrounds got it.

That is very true, I believe some people think that if footballers weren't paid so much, the clubs would reduce the price of tickets - like fuck they would.

Have you noticed that all new Premier league football stadiums that have been, are being, or being proposed to be built are all 60,000 seaters? that is obviously what some bright suit has worked out as the optimum capacity to get maximum funds from a stadium.

Less than that you lose revenue, more than that you have to reduce ticket prices - 60,000 must give the perfect balance and create a healthy waiting list with which to frighten existing season ticket holders.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:34 pm

Trapper John wrote:
Lionel Jesse wrote:On footballers... If it didn't go on their pockets, it would go in the owners pockets. So given that choice, I would rather the players, many of whom are kids from poorer backgrounds got it.

That is very true, I believe some people think that if footballers weren't paid so much, the clubs would reduce the price of tickets - like fuck they would.

Have you noticed that all new Premier league football stadiums that have been, are being, or being proposed to be built are all 60,000 seaters? that is obviously what some bright suit has worked out as the optimum capacity to get maximum funds from a stadium.

Less than that you lose revenue, more than that you have to reduce ticket prices - 60,000 must give the perfect balance and create a healthy waiting list with which to frighten existing season ticket holders.

60,000 is the infrastructure limit for most places. Parking, transport and Safe Evacuation Protocols - ideally you need to be able to empty a stadium in between 15 and 30 minutes in an emergency - dictate capacity. Man Utd have one of the easiest grounds to evacuate and they only have a 75,500 capacity - they could add another 15,000 and keep ticket prices at their current levels easily.

Postby Fletch » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:46 pm

It's the Tory way Roc, you should stop voting for them. :thumbsup:
Fletch

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs