Equal Pay

Re: Equal Pay

Postby Red Okktober » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:00 am

Grafenwalder wrote:Then why don't supermarket staff apply for that work instead of whining about the warehouse workers earning a higher rate?

It's a totally different job to work in a shop compared to a warehouse - you may as well ask why doesn't a hairdresser become a firefighter and earn better wages.

I've no idea why shop workers are 'whining' about their wages - maybe they think warehouse staff are usually at the bottom of the food chain in most organisations, and are pissed off they earn less than they do?
Red Okktober

Postby Grafenwalder » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:36 pm

Red Okktober wrote:
Grafenwalder wrote:Then why don't supermarket staff apply for that work instead of whining about the warehouse workers earning a higher rate?

It's a totally different job to work in a shop compared to a warehouse - you may as well ask why doesn't a hairdresser become a firefighter and earn better wages.

I've no idea why shop workers are 'whining' about their wages - maybe they think warehouse staff are usually at the bottom of the food chain in most organisations, and are pissed off they earn less than they do?

I entirely agree with the bib, but Tesco/Asda store staff don't and believe it's of 'equal value' arguing their jobs in the stores are just as demanding as warehouse jobs. I've never worked in either environment but imagine warehouse work to be more physically demanding than that of store staff, not to mention stores being a more pleasant environment. Though the warehouse are said to be predominantly male staffed, the fact that some women actually work in the distribution centres blows the store workers gripe apart imo. If they want to earn more, then they can apply to work in the warehouse centres.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42968342
Grafenwalder

Postby Mekon » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:32 pm

Workers must use whatever means and arguments they have at their disposal to improve their pay and conditions. Shop work can be as hard on the body and mind as factory or warehouse work. Every workers' battle is between the have-too-little and the have-too-much. Only fools and cowards support the latter.
Mekon

Postby Grafenwalder » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:39 pm

Mekon wrote:Workers must use whatever means and arguments they have at their disposal to improve their pay and conditions. Shop work can be as hard on the body and mind as factory or warehouse work. Every workers' battle is between the have-too-little and the have-too-much. Only fools and cowards support the latter.

We are talking a max of £3 per hr between the two so hardly in the realms of 'have-too-much'. Only a fool would expect to receive the same pay rates imo otherwise the warehouse workers may just as well make a rush for the comfy chairs at the checkouts. The heaviest load i've ever seen any store staff 'maul' was a few bags of vegetables on a pallet truck. What next, checkout operators demanding same pay rate as Supervisors? Then what? Supervisors demanding same pay rate as the store managers?
Grafenwalder

Postby Mekon » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:42 pm

Grafenwalder wrote:
Mekon wrote:Workers must use whatever means and arguments they have at their disposal to improve their pay and conditions. Shop work can be as hard on the body and mind as factory or warehouse work. Every workers' battle is between the have-too-little and the have-too-much. Only fools and cowards support the latter.

We are talking a max of £3 per hr between the two so hardly in the realms of 'have-too-much'. Only a fool would expect to receive the same pay rates imo otherwise the warehouse workers may just as well make a rush for the comfy chairs at the checkouts. The heaviest load i've ever seen any store staff 'maul' was a few bags of vegetables on a pallet truck. What next, checkout operators demanding same pay rate as Supervisors? Then what? Supervisors demanding same pay rate as the store managers?

The have-too-much refers to the owners. Only fools and cowards side with owners against their own class.
Mekon

Previous

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs