Britain's roads!

Britain's roads!

Postby Gigabit » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:04 pm

Britain's roads are a disgrace; how do we sort them out.

I am frustrated Labour haven't said anything about this area - it would seem a logical thing for them to resolve.

They clearly need more investment.
Gigabit

Re: Britain's roads!

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:08 pm

Gigabit wrote:Britain's roads are a disgrace; how do we sort them out.

I am frustrated Labour haven't said anything about this area - it would seem a logical thing for them to resolve.

They did say at the last general election that they would borrow while it was extremely cheap to do so and put the money into infrastructure creating good roads and a lot of jobs.
They were derided for wanting to put the country in more debt.
The Tories won and borrowed more money than all Labour governments there has ever been combined whilst slashing public services.
Where did all that money go?
Looted.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Stooo » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:14 pm

In the Autumn the leaves on the roads are cleared by the council if it is dry because they're considered litter. If it's been raining then Highways have to clear them because they're a traffic hazard.

It's generally a make do and mend attitude with our road surfaces, ripping them up and starting again would be ideal but it's hugely costly and time consuming and generally has to come out of hard pressed local budgets.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Gigabit » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:16 pm

I understand councils currently spend more money fighting and settling cases of damage to cars, than it would cost to mend the roads...
Gigabit

Postby Trapper John » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:25 pm

Gigabit wrote:Britain's roads are a disgrace; how do we sort them out.

You know yesterday I was going to do a thread about exactly the same thing but after I'd only half finished venting my spleen it was three pages long so I gave up.

Yes they are fucking atrocious, my one stand out example is a large pothole on the way to Eastbourne where my mother lives. Someome had had the sense to put a traffic cone in it to warn oncoming drivers, when it rains the hole fills with water and only the top two inches are visible, thats how deep it is.

There are hundreds of less biblical ones as well. :shake head:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Stooo » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:25 pm

Gigabit wrote:I understand councils currently spend more money fighting and settling cases of damage to cars, than it would cost to mend the roads...

Where I work they are quick to sort the roads and infrastructure, HPC is very important to the local economy and EDF. When I commute to my route I have to endure 45 miles of badly worn out M5.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Rocthedog » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:56 pm

Gigabit wrote:I understand councils currently spend more money fighting and settling cases of damage to cars, than it would cost to mend the roads...

It's a wonder you understand anything, Corbyn is going to take the money from vehicle excise duty. That is supposed to go towards roads. If that stupid prat Corbyn gets in there will not be any money for the roads at all. The roads will be in twice the state they are now. Fucking load of useless that Labour party lot.
Rocthedog

Postby Stooo » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:06 pm

Rocthedog wrote:

It's a wonder you understand anything, Corbyn is going to take the money from vehicle excise duty. That is supposed to go towards roads. If that stupid prat Corbyn gets in there will not be any money for the roads at all. The roads will be in twice the state they are now. Fucking load of useless that Labour party lot.

How does that affect you in Spain? :dunno:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby MungoBrush » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:25 pm

Rocthedog wrote:

Er FYI, Vehicle Excise Duty hasn't been ringfenced for roads since 1937
The money collected goes into consolidated revenue.
MungoBrush

Postby MungoBrush » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:26 pm

Gigabit wrote:Britain's roads are a disgrace

No they aren't
Compared to other countries they are in pretty good shape.
MungoBrush

Postby Stooo » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:29 pm

MungoBrush wrote:

No they aren't

They are shit. Massive potholes at 70 mph on a motorway?
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby MungoBrush » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:35 pm

Stooo wrote:
MungoBrush wrote:

No they aren't

They are shit. Massive potholes at 70 mph on a motorway?

So are you saying that we should spend less money on rail and more on roads?

"If you look at how much is spent for each kilometre travelled, public spending on rail is five to six times higher than spending on national roads"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42182497
MungoBrush

Postby Gigabit » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:52 pm

You live in a fantasy land, like most Tories.

Drive on the Autobahn and then come back and tell me the M3 is in good condition.
Gigabit

Postby MungoBrush » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:57 am

Gigabit wrote:You live in a fantasy land, like most Tories.

Drive on the Autobahn and then come back and tell me the M3 is in good condition.

Well there is going to be even less money for roads if Corbyn gets to be PM
He's just announced that he's going to take £1.4 billion from the roads budget to pay for free bus rides.
MungoBrush

Postby Cannydc » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:05 am

MungoBrush wrote:
Gigabit wrote:You live in a fantasy land, like most Tories.

Well there is going to be even less money for roads if Corbyn gets to be PM
He's just announced that he's going to take £1.4 billion from the roads budget to pay for free bus rides.

You are mistaken (again)

The REPAIR of roads is generally down to local councils. Their budgets have been slashed, as you know, and therefore my local roads (and most others) are dreadful.

Building NEW roads (bypasses etc) are central government funded. Someone may not get their new bypass early, but the policy has little or nothing to do with road repairs.
Cannydc

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs