The Windrush Generation

Re: The Windrush Generation

Postby Grafenwalder » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:40 pm

Cannydc wrote:Reading today about a Windrush citizen forced to miss his mother's funeral after being banned from coming home.

He ran into trouble after travelling to Jamaica to be with his dying mother last year.

When he tried to return to the UK in June, he said, he was not allowed on the flight.

His mum's body was repatriated to Britain, but by the time he got back, he said, her funeral had already happened.

Utterly heartless bastards.

I'm afraid we will be reading more cases similar to that. May's creation of her promised "hostile environment" has turned into a Gestapo hell. I've also been shocked at some comments i've read on other forums and social media showing the ugliness of xenophobia and racism. There are some extremely serious sick minds out there.

Here are more cases; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43794366
Grafenwalder

Postby Grafenwalder » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:50 pm

Polly Mackenzie, advisor to Nick Clegg during the coalition government talks to James O'Brien about what went on behind the scenes to lead to the Windrush scandal.

"They set up a task force on migrant access to public services. They had this absolutely clear view that life was dead cushty for anyone who was an illegal immigrant, because you could just swan about, claiming benefits and living off the state."

James summed it up: "What you're describing is the Home Office operating in an alternative reality, written for them by the Daily Mail and Ukip."

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/ ... -windrush/
Grafenwalder

Postby Grafenwalder » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:27 pm

Theresa May on Question Time in 2004. :laughing:

Grafenwalder

Postby Jay Jay » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:04 pm

Grafenwalder wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:
Grafenwalder wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:It looks like the Government has finally got round to reading the 1948 British Nationality Act then.

She thinks that's beneath. Her contempt is all too apparent.

I wouldn't hold your breath for an apology though.

I agree, though i felt it a more humane option to demanding her head on a stake!

I've checked the news and I stand corrected.

It looks like the Government has now apologised and set up a task force to help British people who were deported in error.

It's a shame they couldn't have checked the position carefully before they started to put people under what must be appalling stress.

Only Amber Rudd has openly apologised. A number of Tory MP's are lining up to scrape the floor no doubt after seeing the public outrage and a poll now forcing the issue to be debated in Parliament. As one wit on DS commented, Downing Street must be reeking with the burning rubber from the handbrake turn May's done on this one.

Lets not forget it was under Mays tenure as HS which created this hostility so imo she should have been first in line to publicly apologise. She's a disgrace.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43780621

Rudd is absolutely seething that May has really dropped her in the shit. :grrrrr:
Gotta love the way women in politics help each other out. :yess:

May is going for the record of being worst Home Secretary on record and worst PM on record.
No doubt she will get a peerage.
The dozy cow couldn't even organise a WI jam making session.

Who votes for these morons? :shake head:
Jay Jay

Postby Cannydc » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:43 am

Amber Rudd’s implied criticism of her own Home Office staff over the Windrush scandal is an attempt to deflect from eight years of hostile immigration policies under Theresa May, the head of the top civil servants’ union Dave Penman has said.

His claim was backed by the former deputy prime minister Nick Clegg, who chaired the cabinet committee on home affairs for five years while May was home secretary.

Clegg said the “silly policies and nasty politics” the Tories pursued because of their “obsession” with immigration poisoned the atmosphere and culture of the Home Office.

“They kept resorting to these glib silly unproven headline-grabbing gimmicks and that does create the administrative climate when someone somewhere down the food chain thinks … [for example] we won’t take on good faith what the Windrush generation is saying to us. That’s the climate they are operating in.”

The Civil Service do the bidding of, and are answerable to ministers.

Amber Rudd knows that full well, as does May. And they both know that attacking civil servants can be an 'easy win', because they are not in a position to fight back.

Tories. Blame anyone else but themselves. Bluff it out, and it will soon die down. Not this time.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... rush-blame
Cannydc

Postby Lady Murasaki » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:49 am

They basically wanted to appease those further right in the party and didn’t care about the consequences for these elderly citizens.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Avon Barksdale » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:54 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:They basically wanted to appease those further right in the party and didn’t care about the consequences for these elderly citizens.

It's looking much less like appeasement and more like complicity for a self serving political goal.

Peter Hitchens routinely lambasts the Conservative Party as having no guiding principles but rather is a vehicle to obtain and maintain jobs and wealth for the sons and daughters of Gentleman over generations no matter the cost to the Country or its people.

We are a trillion pound economy yet apparently we don't have enough money for a properly funded public services and goals like the Police, State Education, Housing and decent universal Healthcare provision. This apparently is the fault of dem dere immigrants and the feckless poor. It's nothing to do, absolutely nothing to do with resources being greedily diverted from the majority to the minority of the powerful who hoard it and influence at any cost. Perhaps it is in their interests to divide the majority against itself so they can rule unopposed year upon year and so what if a few marginalised folks pay the price?

I hope this Government is punished without mercy at the ballot box but sadly I think not and we'll get more of the same gruel.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Cannydc » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:23 pm

Another Tory liar exposed.....

Nick Timothy, Theresa May’s former policy adviser, seems to have deleted his Twitter account.

After his claims in his Telegraph column yesterday about May not approving of the “go home” vans unravelled comprehensively, he may be deciding to lie low.

BI and Bloomberg reports suggested he was lying about Theresa May’s ‘go home’ vans.

Which of course, he was.

Never, ever trust a Tory
Cannydc

Postby Grafenwalder » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:21 pm

Like him or loathe him Corbyn had the foresight to warn of the dangers of May's 2014 Immigration Act.

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status ... 9912008704

Scroll down to the tweets posted back in 2014...they make very interesting reading!
Grafenwalder

Postby Major » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:47 pm

WHY SUDDENLY is this Windrush fiasco in the news with a possibility in certain cases us taxpayers, yet again having to cough up our cash as compensation to people from across the sea who have lived here for years.

SOD them, they ain't done bad.

I want compensation as well, put my name down.

Do you want compensation for something, apply here.
Major
Twat.

Postby Didge » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:46 pm

Major wrote:WHY SUDDENLY is this Windrush fiasco in the news with a possibility in certain cases us taxpayers, yet again having to cough up our cash as compensation to people from across the sea who have lived here for years.

You aint done bad off the British empire mate

What did you do to contribute to your education?

Be a slacker?
Didge

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:11 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:They basically wanted to appease those further right in the party and didn’t care about the consequences for these elderly citizens.

It's looking much less like appeasement and more like complicity for a self serving political goal.

Peter Hitchens routinely lambasts the Conservative Party as having no guiding principles but rather is a vehicle to obtain and maintain jobs and wealth for the sons and daughters of Gentleman over generations no matter the cost to the Country or its people.

We are a trillion pound economy yet apparently we don't have enough money for a properly funded public services and goals like the Police, State Education, Housing and decent universal Healthcare provision. This apparently is the fault of dem dere immigrants and the feckless poor. It's nothing to do, absolutely nothing to do with resources being greedily diverted from the majority to the minority of the powerful who hoard it and influence at any cost. Perhaps it is in their interests to divide the majority against itself so they can rule unopposed year upon year and so what if a few marginalised folks pay the price?

I hope this Government is punished without mercy at the ballot box but sadly I think not and we'll get more of the same gruel.

Peter Hitchens is a political whore
all he cares about is Peter Hitchens
:hand:
Big Fat Frosty

Postby Jay Jay » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:12 pm

Major wrote:WHY SUDDENLY is this Windrush fiasco in the news with a possibility in certain cases us taxpayers, yet again having to cough up our cash as compensation to people from across the sea who have lived here for years.

Since when did you pay any tax Andy? :pmsl:
Jay Jay

Postby Grafenwalder » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:20 pm

Those "people across the seas" are Commonwealth citizens making them entitled to exactly the same rights as British subjects. That's written in law under the Nationalities Act and as tax payers, they will end up contributing toward their own compensation which i find pretty disgusting. But i've got a much better idea. May and her husband can stump up the money. She was the chief architect which brought about this travesty and her husband has made a financial killing (literally) in the bombing of Syria. Her Cabinet can make up any shortfall....there are enough multi millionaires among them who won't miss a few hundred grand a piece.

UK Gov fucked up big time when May created her "hostile environment" with the Immigration Act so this has been simmering a while. Now the lids blown off and shit hit the fan so here is a reminder of what May said back in 2004.....so she should now do the honourable thing and follow her own advice she preached back then.

Grafenwalder

Postby Jay Jay » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:25 pm

May has lots of blood on her hands in the last 8 years.

Lots.
Jay Jay

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs