The Windrush Generation

Re: The Windrush Generation

Postby malamute » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:32 am

Don’t panic!!! The paperwork has now been found in the National Archives. Several newspapers reporting that this is the case.

I was looking at a BBC education site last night and the passenger lists were on there anyway.

If the parents of these children had bothered to get the necessary documentation some years after they arrived, many of them wouldnt be in this predicament now.

a couple across the road from me always have trouble when they need ID because they refuse to get photo driving licences or passports. Thats their choice. (Theyre not West Indian by the way.)
malamute

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:36 am

malamute wrote:Don’t panic!!! The paperwork has now been found in the National Archives. Several newspapers reporting that this is the case.

I was looking at a BBC education site last night and the passenger lists were on there anyway.

If the parents of these children had bothered to get the necessary documentation some years after they arrived, many of them wouldnt be in this predicament now.

a couple across the road from me always have trouble when they need ID because they refuse to get photo driving licences or passports. Thats their choice. (Theyre not West Indian by the way.)

Great news.

Conservatives sorting out yet another 2009 labour mess.

Piece of mind for those caught up in labours mess.

Postby Avon Barksdale » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:56 am

malamute wrote:Don’t panic!!! The paperwork has now been found in the National Archives. Several newspapers reporting that this is the case.

Oh, that's alright then.

So after months of media outlets like the Guardian asking the Government to comment on stories on British citizens losing their jobs, being denied medical treatment, becoming homeless, not being able to attend the funerals of loved ones, being deported to a country which they have no connection to, enduring misery, chronic stress and depression, dying, after urgent questions being raised in Parliament, after the intervention of Commonwealth leaders, after PMQs and after a huge public outcry the Government have finally pulled their finger out and managed to resolve a situation which was eminently avoidable in the first place if they had treated people of the Windrush generation and their children who have integrated and contributed to this country as human beings with equal rights to people who have been born here. Still I guess they'll always be immigrants and perpetual guests.

It's good to know that's all British citizens have to go through to be treated with a shred of fucking dignity by the Home Office.

I don't know how anyone with a shred of decency cannot be appalled by what has happened.
Avon Barksdale

Postby malamute » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:47 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:

Oh, that's alright then.

So after months of media outlets like the Guardian asking the Government to comment on stories on British citizens losing their jobs, being denied medical treatment, becoming homeless, not being able to attend the funerals of loved ones, being deported to a country which they have no connection to, enduring misery, chronic stress and depression, dying, after urgent questions being raised in Parliament, after the intervention of Commonwealth leaders, after PMQs and after a huge public outcry the Government have finally pulled their finger out and managed to resolve a situation which was eminently avoidable in the first place if they had treated people of the Windrush generation and their children who have integrated and contributed to this country as human beings with equal rights to people who have been born here. Still I guess they'll always be immigrants and perpetual guests.

It's good to know that's all British citizens have to go through to be treated with a shred of fucking dignity by the Home Office.

I don't know how anyone with a shred of decency cannot be appalled by what has happened.

avon, its nowhere near like the scenario you are trying to portray. If people had bothered to apply for British passports when they were offered to them, much of this could have been avoided. Theres a story circulating today about an elderly West Indian man who went back to Jamaica to sort out his house there and is now stuck there because he wasnt allowed back in. So he’s complaining. The reason he’s not allowed back in is because he didnt return within two years which was the arrangement. Time limits are common in most countries.

My friend is from Tanzania and met her British husband when he was working out there. His visa allowed him to stay for a certain period of time then the authorities were in touch telling him he had been there long enough and he had to retun to the UK. Rules are rules the world over.

Thousands of West Indians DID apply for passports and have encountered no problems over the years. You are making it sound like ALL West Indians have been let down but that isnt the case at all.
malamute

Postby Cannydc » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:30 pm

It is EXACTLY 100% as Avon stated.

Many, in fact most of these people NEVER NEEDED a passport.

They had jobs, and NEVER NEEDED to provide some kind of proof of residency or citizenship.

They NEVER HAD to show entitlement to NHS treatment.

They BELIEVED (rightly) that they were British citizens.

To accuse them of 'laziness' is a gross insult.

Shame on you, but hey, when did a Tory EVER show empathy ? Look at Grenfell.
Cannydc

Postby Grafenwalder » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:40 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:

Oh, that's alright then.

Perfectly summed up. Well said.
Grafenwalder

Postby Grafenwalder » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:49 pm

Cannydc wrote:It is EXACTLY 100% as Avon stated.

They had jobs, and NEVER NEEDED to provide some kind of proof of residency or citizenship.

I never understood the nonsense over requesting a passport to prove status to an employer at all. It's just plain bats! Both my parents, British born and bred, my father never ever held a passport in the 67 years he lived as he had no desire for foreign travel and my late mother only had her first passport at the age of 70, just to go on an organised trip to Austria as she'd long wanted to visit the locations used to film the Sound of Music! A friend of mine has also never held a passport. The furthest he's traveled is Scotland on a fishing trip!
Grafenwalder

Postby Cannydc » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:02 pm

Grafenwalder wrote:

I never understood the nonsense over requesting a passport to prove status to an employer at all. It's just plain bats! Both my parents, British born and bred, my father never ever held a passport in the 67 years he lived as he had no desire for foreign travel and my late mother only had her first passport at the age of 70, just to go on an organised trip to Austria as she'd long wanted to visit the locations used to film the Sound of Music! A friend of mine has also never held a passport. The furthest he's traveled is Scotland on a fishing trip!

I went to work for an agency a few years back (2005) and had to produce a passport AND a birth cert, just to be accepted on the books.

They were completely paranoid.
Cannydc

Postby malamute » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:33 pm

We are talking about the CHILDREN though and they were able to apply for passports when they were older. I didnt say they were lazy I said “if they had bothered”. Some obviously didnt want the “bother.”
malamute

Postby malamute » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:46 pm

Cannydc wrote:
Grafenwalder wrote:

I went to work for an agency a few years back (2005) and had to produce a passport AND a birth cert, just to be accepted on the books.

Three years ago I applied for a job which was literally a few hours a week. Firstly I had to sign a form to say I was not an offender. then I had to have a DBS check. I had to provide full medical details. I had to provide a passport photo. I had to provide passport details OR an original document giving my NI number and name PLUS a full birth certificate issued in the UK ( short birth certificates not accepted). Then they asked me to send a copy of my driving licence at which point I told them they could stick their job!
malamute

Postby Grafenwalder » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:00 pm

Cannydc wrote:
Grafenwalder wrote:

That is seriously bizarre re. passport for reasons i've mentioned. It's like demanding someone produce a driving licence which is also totally bonkers as not everyone drives a car or even wants to! I used to work in very high security (Government involved) and everyone had to go through major vetting procedures every 10 years. That included naming our direct parents and their parental family (though no documents were expected for that) but we did have to produce certificate of birth. Passports were neither expected or asked for though if anyone intended traveling to Russia, DDR (as it then was) or Eastern bloc communist countries, we had to request authorisation.
Grafenwalder

Postby Stooo » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:02 pm

malamute wrote:
Three years ago I applied for a job which was literally a few hours a week. Firstly I had to sign a form to say I was not an offender. then I had to have a DBS check. I had to provide full medical details. I had to provide a passport photo. I had to provide passport details OR an original document giving my NI number and name PLUS a full birth certificate issued in the UK ( short birth certificates not accepted). Then they asked me to send a copy of my driving licence at which point I told them they could stick their job!

I've never been required to prove my citizenship despite work with the MOD and my current employment :dunno:

Were these people given any notification about their status or their obligations as laws and regulations changed over the decades, I don't think that they were. I understand that around 7000 people who thought that they were British have been deported on charter flights back to the Caribbean and have been told to adopt a local accent to blend in. If a tenth of this is true then we should hang our heads is shame and repatriate those who want to come back to a country that kicked them in the balls.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Grafenwalder » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:04 pm

malamute wrote:
Cannydc wrote:
Grafenwalder wrote:

Were you applying for a job with the Stasi? :mrgreen:
Grafenwalder

Postby Grafenwalder » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:12 pm

Stooo wrote:
malamute wrote:

I've never been required to prove my citizenship despite work with the MOD and my current employment :dunno:

Were these people given any notification about their status or their obligations as laws and regulations changed over the decades, I don't think that they were. I understand that around 7000 people who thought that they were British have been deported on charter flights back to the Caribbean and have been told to adopt a local accent to blend in. If a tenth of this is true then we should hang our heads is shame and repatriate those who want to come back to a country that kicked them in the balls.

It's in here, a repatriation guide to "Coming Home to Jamaica".

Try to be ‘Jamaican’ – use local accents and dialect (overseas accents can attract unwanted attention)

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/479438/Coming_Home_Booklet.pdf
Grafenwalder

Postby Stooo » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:18 pm

Grafenwalder wrote:
Stooo wrote:
malamute wrote:

It's in here, a repatriation guide to "Coming Home to Jamaica".

Try to be ‘Jamaican’ – use local accents and dialect (overseas accents can attract unwanted attention)

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/479438/Coming_Home_Booklet.pdf

Disgusting.
Stooo
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs