Isle Of Man -Might Decriminalise Cannabis

Isle Of Man -Might Decriminalise Cannabis

Postby Didge » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:17 pm

Mick Jagger once suggested legalising all drugs in the Isle of Man, as a litmus test for the rest of the UK.

“In England, they always try out new mobile phones in the Isle of Man,” said the former Rolling Stones frontman in 2010. “They’ve got a captive society. So I said... you should try the legalisation of all drugs on the Isle of Man and see what happens.”

Now the island - a British Crown dependency - could find itself taking steps towards Jagger’s idea, as it considers becoming the first area in the British Isles to decriminalise the possession of cannabis.

The Manx Government said in February that it was time to look at “alternative approaches” to its approach to drugs, and that it will hold an “evidence-based review” into decriminalising small amounts of cannabis possession for personal use.

The review, announced in its drugs strategy for the next five years, will look at at the health benefits and risks of such a move. It will also ask how having a criminal record for possessing of small amounts of cannabis can impact a person’s life, such as restricting career prospects or foreign travel, the island’s home affairs minister Bill Malarkey told HuffPost.

Cannabis is the most commonly seized drug in the Isle of Man. Figures suggest 45% of those in prison for burglary or theft are addicted to illegal drugs.

In his most recent report, the island’s police chief highlighted how arrests for cannabis possession had fuelled an 11% rise in crime.

There were 208 more crimes in 2016/17 than in the previous year, of which 115 were drugs offences, “almost all simple possession of cannabis”, Gary Roberts wrote. He added his officers “routinely found cannabis when dealing with young people”.

The review will evaluate evidence of other countries with pioneering drug policies, such as Portugal, where drugs possession was decriminalised. Deaths from drugs and HIV there fell, while drug use did not increase as some had feared.

“The evidence will be presented to politicians and the public to enable an informed debate on the Isle of Man,” health minister David Ashford said.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... k-homepage

Common sense being used
Didge

Re: Isle Of Man -Might Decriminalise Cannabis

Postby Trapper John » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:24 pm

The druids of ancient Britain had their HQ on the Isle of Man, everything went swimmingly until the Romans came and massacred every last one of them. I think they smoked a bit of iffy stuff themselves, look where it got them - dead.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Didge » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:27 pm

Trapper John wrote:The druids of ancient Britain had their HQ on the Isle of Man, everything went swimmingly until the Romans came and massacred every last one of them. I think they smoked a bit of iffy stuff themselves, look where it got them - dead.

Sorry mate, wrong place, that was Anglesey.
Didge

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:33 pm

Didge wrote:
Trapper John wrote:The druids of ancient Britain had their HQ on the Isle of Man, everything went swimmingly until the Romans came and massacred every last one of them. I think they smoked a bit of iffy stuff themselves, look where it got them - dead.

He's not the brightest of the thousand suns.

He supports Arsenal.

Postby Didge » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:36 pm

Guest wrote:
Didge wrote:

He supports Arsenal.

I support Arsenal also...So does Corbyn support Arsenal. Many people support Arsenal, and thankfully, they are are letting Wenger go

He was clearly not being serious anyway
Didge

Postby Trapper John » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:36 pm

Didge wrote:

They moved to Anglesey just at the wrong time.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:38 pm

Guest wrote:
Didge wrote:

He supports Arsenal.

And you knew what a druid was before you googled it?
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:39 pm

Guest wrote:
Didge wrote:

He supports Arsenal.

And why are you posting as a guest Jay Jay?
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Didge » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:39 pm

Trapper John wrote:
Didge wrote:

lol, There is a druid on the other forum I frequent, so clearly the Romans failed
Didge

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:41 pm

Trapper John wrote:
Guest wrote:
Didge wrote:

He supports Arsenal.

And you knew what a druid was before you googled it?

Yeah because I have never heard of Stonehenge, Woodhenge etc or have any knowledge of stone circles. :off head:

Postby Trapper John » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:42 pm

Didge wrote:
Trapper John wrote:
Didge wrote:

lol, There is a druid on the other forum I frequent, so clearly the Romans failed

Have you ever been to the Isle of man? I did once in the 1980's thats one weird place and no mistake.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Didge » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:44 pm

Trapper John wrote:
Didge wrote:
Trapper John wrote:
Didge wrote:

Have you ever been to the Isle of man? I did once in the 1980's thats one weird place and no mistake.

Nah, never been there I am afraid
Didge

Postby Trapper John » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:11 pm

Didge wrote:
Trapper John wrote:
Didge wrote:
Trapper John wrote:
Didge wrote:

Nah, never been there I am afraid

Well anyway back to the theme of the thread, I don't think it'd be a great move because the people there already act like they been puffing 40 spliffs a day 24/7/365 - but their tourist industry earnings, which is pretty much all they got, would go through the roof so maybe not so daft afterall.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Didge » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:14 pm

Trapper John wrote:
Well anyway back to the theme of the thread, I don't think it'd be a great move because the people there already act like they been puffing 40 spliffs a day 24/7/365 - but their tourist industry earnings, which is pretty much all they got, would go through the roof so maybe not so daft afterall.

I think it would be a smart move, as its really nobody's buisness what people do with their own bodies

It will help cut down crime and gangs, with also making the drug safer.
Didge

Postby Stooo » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:17 pm

They'd all be dead anyway, this was thousands of years ago... :ooer:
Stooo
Site Admin

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs