Labour’s victory will arise from the humiliating end of Tory

Re: Labour’s victory will arise from the humiliating end of Tory

Postby Guest » Tue May 08, 2018 3:05 pm

The letter recalls a similar note left by Tory Reginald Maudling to his Labour successor James Callaghan in 1964: "Good luck, old cock ... Sorry to leave it in such a mess."

Byrne said the message was meant in jest. "My letter was a joke, from one chief secretary to another," he said. "I do hope David Laws's sense of humour wasn't another casualty of the coalition deal."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -successor

:gigglesnshit: :whistle:

Postby Si_Crewe » Tue May 08, 2018 5:10 pm

Guest wrote:The letter recalls a similar note left by Tory Reginald Maudling to his Labour successor James Callaghan in 1964: "Good luck, old cock ... Sorry to leave it in such a mess."

Byrne said the message was meant in jest. "My letter was a joke, from one chief secretary to another," he said. "I do hope David Laws's sense of humour wasn't another casualty of the coalition deal."

:gigglesnshit: :whistle:

I guess the man, himself, came to regret his actions. :oops:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... l-election

The fact remains that if pol's (of either party) are in a position where they think a reasonable assessment of the country's finances is to leave smarmy letters apologising for their incompetence, it hardly paints a glowing picture of the way they've managed the economy during their tenure.

When the current lot (again, ALL of them) are finally replaced, I'd hope they have the decency to retire from public office permanently.
If I was as shit at my job as they all currently seem to be, I think I'd resign myself to a career washing car windscreens at traffic lights or something.
Si_Crewe

Postby Guest » Tue May 08, 2018 6:19 pm

Si_Crewe wrote:
Cannydc wrote:
Si_Crewe wrote:I suspect that whoever wins the election in 2020 will be completely unelectable in 2024.

A very interesting post, if a little lacking in detail...

Timing will be all. The Brexit negotiations outcome. The Commons reaction. The decisions thereafter. And finally, crucially, the economic outcome.

At which stage would Labour like to step in ? Although they publicly state otherwise, my thoughts are that they want the Tories to implode but not before the fallout of the above is obvious. If Treeza truly owns Brexit and the complete shambles of the negotiations, they really will be gone for 20 years, if not forever.

Thing is, by the time Brexit comes around we'll have had a tory government for almost a decade.
If they have any brains, they'll have something "up their sleeve" to keep the electorate happy in the 2020 GE.
If that happens, we get another 4 years of the tories and they'll have 4 years to hope they can sort out any problems - or hope something else happens to distract the public.

Honestly, I don't think they're that smart though.

I think Brexit will happen, there'll be a bunch of stuff people are unhappy about and then - maybe - Labour will get in.
Trouble is, if that happens it probably means the situation is such a clusterfuck that Labour aren't going to be able to sort it out in 4 years and they'll end up looking like a shower of shit regardless of whether it's their fault or not.

If I was in charge of the Labour party, I'd seriously consider running the 2020 GE on a manifesto of "Vote for the tories. They organised all this so let them see it through and then give us a call in 2024 if you're not happy". :ooer:

Elections are every 5 years and the next one is due in 2022.

Postby Guest » Tue May 08, 2018 6:23 pm

Si_Crewe wrote:
Cannydc wrote:Those of us around and interested in politics in the 1980s well remember the bribes and the resulting 'boom and bust' Tory tactics come each election.

Old habits die hard.

If they do have the means to arrange something like that I guess it puts them ahead of Labour, who could famously only manage to leave a letter saying "I'm afraid there's no money left".

It was a tradition started by the Conservative Chancellor in 1964. Look up Reginald Maudling and sorry old cock we're broke. :gigglesnshit:
Why did Osborne leave a note to Hammond saying sorry we're broke in 2016? Because it is tradition. :whistle:

Postby Gigabit » Tue May 08, 2018 6:56 pm

Christ, we cannot "run out money"! And we did not after Labour's last period in Government
Gigabit

Postby Chipz » Tue May 08, 2018 7:22 pm

Gigabit wrote:Christ, we cannot "run out money"! And we did not after Labour's last period in Government

Chipz

Postby Guest » Tue May 08, 2018 7:40 pm

Chipz wrote:
Gigabit wrote:Christ, we cannot "run out money"! And we did not after Labour's last period in Government

http://home.bt.com/news/news-extra/here ... 3978899522

The only previous example of a similar note being made public came in 1964, when Conservative chancellor of the Exchequer Reginald Maudling left a message in his Whitehall office after being forced out by election defeat, telling his Labour replacement James Callaghan: “Good luck, old cock…. Sorry to leave it in such a mess.”

Postby Cannydc » Tue May 08, 2018 7:46 pm

Chipz wrote:

Well posted !!

Never read about this before - so when a silly joke goes wrong, let's all jump on the silly sod who wrote it, eh?

Especially if it can win us an election.
Cannydc

Postby Guest » Tue May 08, 2018 8:45 pm

Hence the Tories doubling our debt

Postby Ray of Sunshine » Tue May 08, 2018 9:15 pm

Guest wrote:
Elections are every 5 years and the next one is due in 2022.

But you can still call an election if 2/3 of MPs agree, which is what happened last year.

So not really fixed like the American elections are fixed.
Ray of Sunshine

Previous

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs