who decides which countries allowed to have nuclear weapons

who decides which countries allowed to have nuclear weapons

Postby MungoBrush » Tue May 15, 2018 7:12 pm

Who says that it's OK for Israel to have nuclear weapons, but not Iran
Who decides that Pakistan can have them, but not North Korea?

Why is there all this focus on eliminating nuclear weapons from Iran and North Korea, but not India or France

I don't have an axe to grind here, I just dont understand the logic.
User avatar
MungoBrush
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:03 pm

Re: who decides which countries allowed to have nuclear weapons

Postby Cannydc » Tue May 15, 2018 8:15 pm

MungoBrush wrote:Who says that it's OK for Israel to have nuclear weapons, but not Iran
Who decides that Pakistan can have them, but not North Korea?

Why is there all this focus on eliminating nuclear weapons from Iran and North Korea, but not India or France.

I don't have an axe to grind here, I just dont understand the logic.


There is a Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, which most countries have signed. Israel, India and Pakistan never have.

Break the premises of this treaty effectively turns you into a rogue state - e.g. North Korea.

Sanctions usually result.

Before the NNPT, we simply had an arms race, with a handful of nations having the bomb and building more each year. France was one, along with Russia, UK, China. There was no regulation, so it was a case of 'might is right'.

India and Pakistan claimed self defence against each other and staged their own arms race. Israel used a similar justification.

North Korea are a case all on their own, but whether Iran is joining the club remains to be seen.
User avatar
Cannydc
 
Posts: 11046
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: who decides which countries allowed to have nuclear weapons

Postby Si_Crewe » Tue May 15, 2018 9:47 pm

Speaking of which, I see NK has already found an excuse to avoid talks with South Korea.

Mystic Si predicts a similar thing will happen before Trump's proposed meeting with LRM, after which Trump's critics will be elated that he's failed at brokering any kind of peace and concluding with Trump attempting to save face by proclaiming that he's "always willing to enter into talks aimed at nuclear non-proliferation".
User avatar
Si_Crewe
 
Posts: 4552
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:33 am

Re: who decides which countries allowed to have nuclear weapons

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue May 15, 2018 11:23 pm

MungoBrush wrote:Who says that it's OK for Israel to have nuclear weapons, but not Iran
Who decides that Pakistan can have them, but not North Korea?

Why is there all this focus on eliminating nuclear weapons from Iran and North Korea, but not India or France

I don't have an axe to grind here, I just dont understand the logic.


Presumably it’s about who are considered allies and those who aren’t could be too dangerous.
User avatar
Lady Murasaki
 
Posts: 21802
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:46 pm

Re: who decides which countries allowed to have nuclear weapons

Postby Cannydc » Wed May 16, 2018 1:50 pm

Looks like Trump didn't understand North Korea's position regarding nuclear weapons.

A senior North Korean official warned Wednesday that Pyongyang may cancel its summit meeting between Kim Jong Un and President Trump scheduled for June 12 in Singapore, if it is going to be pushed into giving up its nuclear arsenal.

If the Trump administration pressures Pyongyang to unilaterally abandon its nuclear weapons, North Korea would have to reconsider the summit, Vice Foreign Minister Kim Kye Gwan said in a statement carried by the official KCNA news agency.


"If we are giving up our nukes in North Korea, you Americans should also give up yours"

Seems a fair swap.......
User avatar
Cannydc
 
Posts: 11046
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: who decides which countries allowed to have nuclear weapons

Postby MungoBrush » Wed May 16, 2018 3:15 pm

Cannydc wrote:Looks like Trump didn't understand North Korea's position regarding nuclear weapons.

A senior North Korean official warned Wednesday that Pyongyang may cancel its summit meeting between Kim Jong Un and President Trump scheduled for June 12 in Singapore, if it is going to be pushed into giving up its nuclear arsenal.

If the Trump administration pressures Pyongyang to unilaterally abandon its nuclear weapons, North Korea would have to reconsider the summit, Vice Foreign Minister Kim Kye Gwan said in a statement carried by the official KCNA news agency.


"If we are giving up our nukes in North Korea, you Americans should also give up yours"

Seems a fair swap.......


I want to know why Iran and North Korea are subject to sanctions because of their nuclear weapons programs, but Israel and Pakistan are not.
User avatar
MungoBrush
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:03 pm

Re: who decides which countries allowed to have nuclear weapons

Postby Cannydc » Wed May 16, 2018 8:20 pm

MungoBrush wrote:
Cannydc wrote:Looks like Trump didn't understand North Korea's position regarding nuclear weapons.

A senior North Korean official warned Wednesday that Pyongyang may cancel its summit meeting between Kim Jong Un and President Trump scheduled for June 12 in Singapore, if it is going to be pushed into giving up its nuclear arsenal.

If the Trump administration pressures Pyongyang to unilaterally abandon its nuclear weapons, North Korea would have to reconsider the summit, Vice Foreign Minister Kim Kye Gwan said in a statement carried by the official KCNA news agency.


"If we are giving up our nukes in North Korea, you Americans should also give up yours"

Seems a fair swap.......


I want to know why Iran and North Korea are subject to sanctions because of their nuclear weapons programs, but Israel and Pakistan are not.


Sanctions against Israel are invariably vetoed by the US.

Pakistan's nukes are seen as a counterweight to India's.
User avatar
Cannydc
 
Posts: 11046
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: who decides which countries allowed to have nuclear weapons

Postby MungoBrush » Wed May 16, 2018 8:38 pm

Cannydc wrote:
MungoBrush wrote:
Cannydc wrote:Looks like Trump didn't understand North Korea's position regarding nuclear weapons.

A senior North Korean official warned Wednesday that Pyongyang may cancel its summit meeting between Kim Jong Un and President Trump scheduled for June 12 in Singapore, if it is going to be pushed into giving up its nuclear arsenal.

If the Trump administration pressures Pyongyang to unilaterally abandon its nuclear weapons, North Korea would have to reconsider the summit, Vice Foreign Minister Kim Kye Gwan said in a statement carried by the official KCNA news agency.


"If we are giving up our nukes in North Korea, you Americans should also give up yours"

Seems a fair swap.......


I want to know why Iran and North Korea are subject to sanctions because of their nuclear weapons programs, but Israel and Pakistan are not.


Sanctions against Israel are invariably vetoed by the US.

Pakistan's nukes are seen as a counterweight to India's.


By that logic, Iran should be allowed to have nuclear weapons as a counterweight to Israel's.
User avatar
MungoBrush
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:03 pm

Re: who decides which countries allowed to have nuclear weapons

Postby Guest » Wed May 16, 2018 9:25 pm

MungoBrush wrote:
Cannydc wrote:
MungoBrush wrote:
Cannydc wrote:Looks like Trump didn't understand North Korea's position regarding nuclear weapons.

A senior North Korean official warned Wednesday that Pyongyang may cancel its summit meeting between Kim Jong Un and President Trump scheduled for June 12 in Singapore, if it is going to be pushed into giving up its nuclear arsenal.

If the Trump administration pressures Pyongyang to unilaterally abandon its nuclear weapons, North Korea would have to reconsider the summit, Vice Foreign Minister Kim Kye Gwan said in a statement carried by the official KCNA news agency.


"If we are giving up our nukes in North Korea, you Americans should also give up yours"

Seems a fair swap.......


I want to know why Iran and North Korea are subject to sanctions because of their nuclear weapons programs, but Israel and Pakistan are not.


Sanctions against Israel are invariably vetoed by the US.

Pakistan's nukes are seen as a counterweight to India's.


By that logic, Iran should be allowed to have nuclear weapons as a counterweight to Israel's.


Logic in politics? If there was logic in politics no one would vote for known liars, would they? Where is the logic in that? I take it you vote Conservative, why vote for a party that makes the 95% poorer? It makes absolutely no rational sense. :whistle:
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: who decides which countries allowed to have nuclear weapons

Postby Cannydc » Wed May 16, 2018 9:30 pm

MungoBrush wrote:
Cannydc wrote:
MungoBrush wrote:
Cannydc wrote:Looks like Trump didn't understand North Korea's position regarding nuclear weapons.

A senior North Korean official warned Wednesday that Pyongyang may cancel its summit meeting between Kim Jong Un and President Trump scheduled for June 12 in Singapore, if it is going to be pushed into giving up its nuclear arsenal.

If the Trump administration pressures Pyongyang to unilaterally abandon its nuclear weapons, North Korea would have to reconsider the summit, Vice Foreign Minister Kim Kye Gwan said in a statement carried by the official KCNA news agency.


"If we are giving up our nukes in North Korea, you Americans should also give up yours"

Seems a fair swap.......


I want to know why Iran and North Korea are subject to sanctions because of their nuclear weapons programs, but Israel and Pakistan are not.


Sanctions against Israel are invariably vetoed by the US.

Pakistan's nukes are seen as a counterweight to India's.


By that logic, Iran should be allowed to have nuclear weapons as a counterweight to Israel's.


The US veto(s) in favour of Israel extends to ensuring that no Arabic nation threatens them with nuclear weapons.

And will continue to do so as long as the Jewish lobby in the US remains all powerful.
User avatar
Cannydc
 
Posts: 11046
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: who decides which countries allowed to have nuclear weapons

Postby calitom » Wed May 16, 2018 10:59 pm

I think most people...If answering anonyously so they dont have to be politically correct...Would prefer top have israel with NUKES vs Iran with NUKES
User avatar
calitom
 
Posts: 2396
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:21 am

Re: who decides which countries allowed to have nuclear weapons

Postby Guest » Wed May 16, 2018 11:15 pm

calitom wrote:I think most people...If answering anonyously so they dont have to be politically correct...Would prefer top have israel with NUKES vs Iran with NUKES


Israel and Iran no nukes
India and Pakistan no nukes
USA, UK and France no nukes
China, Russia and North Korea no nukes.

:doomed:
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: who decides which countries allowed to have nuclear weapons

Postby Cannydc » Thu May 17, 2018 3:25 pm

calitom wrote:I think most people...If answering anonymously so they don't have to be politically correct...Would prefer top have Israel with NUKES vs Iran with NUKES


I suspect that 'most people' don't actually care for ANY nation within the powder keg of the Middle East to have their hands on nukes.
User avatar
Cannydc
 
Posts: 11046
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: who decides which countries allowed to have nuclear weapons

Postby Stooo » Thu May 17, 2018 4:57 pm

Si_Crewe wrote:Speaking of which, I see NK has already found an excuse to avoid talks with South Korea.

Mystic Si predicts a similar thing will happen before Trump's proposed meeting with LRM, after which Trump's critics will be elated that he's failed at brokering any kind of peace and concluding with Trump attempting to save face by proclaiming that he's "always willing to enter into talks aimed at nuclear non-proliferation".


Like with Iran you mean?
User avatar
Stooo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 81587
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:24 pm
Location: Eveywhere, like shit in a field.

Re: who decides which countries allowed to have nuclear weapons

Postby MungoBrush » Thu May 17, 2018 4:59 pm

Cannydc wrote:
calitom wrote:I think most people...If answering anonymously so they don't have to be politically correct...Would prefer top have Israel with NUKES vs Iran with NUKES


I suspect that 'most people' don't actually care for ANY nation within the powder keg of the Middle East to have their hands on nukes.


I don't care for the USA to have nukes either
They are all a bit too trigger happy for my liking.
User avatar
MungoBrush
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:03 pm

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests