Scottish parliament decisively rejects EU withdrawal bill

Re: Scottish parliament decisively rejects EU withdrawal bill

Postby Claire » Fri May 18, 2018 6:34 pm

Dimples wrote:I'm not entirely sure where this idea comes from that Brussels rules anything.

The UK fought tooth and nail for years to be admitted to the EC and then when it was finally admitted, all it did was complain about everything and ask to for vetoes on various things and wanted to be exempted from everything it didn't like... then when all of those concessions weren''t enough, the endless whining about the "unelected" (what?) European parliament has continued - with Brexit now being the result.

The issue is simply that England wants to dictate policy to everyone else. It's just that it can't get away with that in Europe and it doesn't like that. Perhaps England ought to have considered that before demanding admission to the EC in the first place.

Brexit is nothing to do with the UK - for the simple reason that it isn't "united". It's only England and Wales who want out. Not Scotland and not NI.

Great post Dimps.
Claire

Postby Ray of Sunshine » Fri May 18, 2018 7:42 pm

Claire wrote:This is what I don't understand about certain English people. If Scotland vote for Independence (I pray we do), how come it's about you?

Do the Northern Irish and Welsh not count?

Clue. IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU. Get over it :ooer:

Plus, while we are in the UK, Blair and Brown are British. Jesus.

Funny how certain Scottish people are Scottish and certain Scottish people are British!

And the Nats seem to think it's all about the English.

The Welsh are just England's poodles according to the comments on The National.
Ray of Sunshine

Postby Guest » Fri May 18, 2018 8:01 pm

Ray of Sunshine wrote:
Cannydc wrote:
Sadly, the myths surrounding the EU have been well publicised by all our favourite rags, whose owners all benefit by us being out of the EU and their rags being less well regulated.

Really, which papers are we talking about here?

Murdoch? Sun is pro-Brexit but Times is pro-Remain.

Mail Group? Daily Mail is pro-Brexit but Mail on Sunday is pro-Remain.

Mirror Group? Express is pro-Brexit but Mirror is pro-Remain

Guardian and Independent are pro-Remain.

Telegraph is pro-Brexit.

So in fact the majority of newspaper owners are actually hedging their bets and you're only talking about the Telegraph owners who don't benefit from leaving the EU at all from what I can see it makes not difference to them.

Once again you're talking nonsense.

All of the British national newspapers, bar the Morning Star have printed EU myths.

Postby Dimples » Fri May 18, 2018 10:52 pm

Claire wrote:
Dimples wrote:I'm not entirely sure where this idea comes from that Brussels rules anything.

The UK fought tooth and nail for years to be admitted to the EC and then when it was finally admitted, all it did was complain about everything and ask to for vetoes on various things and wanted to be exempted from everything it didn't like... then when all of those concessions weren''t enough, the endless whining about the "unelected" (what?) European parliament has continued - with Brexit now being the result.

The issue is simply that England wants to dictate policy to everyone else. It's just that it can't get away with that in Europe and it doesn't like that. Perhaps England ought to have considered that before demanding admission to the EC in the first place.

Brexit is nothing to do with the UK - for the simple reason that it isn't "united". It's only England and Wales who want out. Not Scotland and not NI.

Great post Dimps.

Thank you. :paranoid:
Dimples

Postby Ray of Sunshine » Fri May 18, 2018 11:04 pm

Guest wrote:All of the British national newspapers, bar the Morning Star have printed EU myths.

We had quite a number of myths and nonsense from Project Fear as well though or are we not going to acknowledge that?
Ray of Sunshine

Postby Ray of Sunshine » Sat May 19, 2018 12:13 am

There's been almost 1000 new EU laws come into force in this country since the Brexit vote in 2016, all without Parliamentary scrutiny, no Brussels doesn't rule anything :shell:
Ray of Sunshine

Postby McAz » Sat May 19, 2018 12:17 am

Ray of Sunshine wrote:There's been almost 1000 new EU laws come into force in this country since the Brexit vote in 2016, all without Parliamentary scrutiny, no Brussels doesn't rule anything :shell:

It's the UK government's choice to enact these rules by statutory instrument, not the will of Brussels - blame them.
McAz

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sat May 19, 2018 12:22 am

And laws effecting us and every other country outside the EU will continue to be made and we continue to have to abide by them to do trade .... on their terms ......
Attachments
brexitinthecold.jpg
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Cannydc » Sat May 19, 2018 1:38 am

Ray of Sunshine wrote:There's been almost 1000 new EU laws come into force in this country since the Brexit vote in 2016, all without Parliamentary scrutiny, no Brussels doesn't rule anything :shell:

LAWS ??? 1000 new LAWS from the EU since the Brexit vote ?

I'm sure you have a proper link to that information.

I only have figures from 23.6.16 up to end 2017, but in that time Britain has taken part in 102 votes of the EU’s Council of Ministers.

We lost 17 in which we abstained or voted against. We voted for 85, all 85 were passed.

The Wail whined as usual...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rexit.html
Cannydc

Postby Claire » Sat May 19, 2018 7:13 am

Ray of Sunshine wrote:
Claire wrote:This is what I don't understand about certain English people. If Scotland vote for Independence (I pray we do), how come it's about you?

Do the Northern Irish and Welsh not count?

Clue. IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU. Get over it :ooer:

Plus, while we are in the UK, Blair and Brown are British. Jesus.

Funny how certain Scottish people are Scottish and certain Scottish people are British!

And the Nats seem to think it's all about the English.

The Welsh are just England's poodles according to the comments on The National.

The "Nats" don't think it's about the English. Many of them ARE English. Trust me, you don't matter.
Claire

Postby Ray of Sunshine » Sat May 19, 2018 9:11 am

Cannydc wrote:

I only have figures from 23.6.16 up to end 2017, but in that time Britain has taken part in 102 votes of the EU’s Council of Ministers.

We lost 17 in which we abstained or voted against. We voted for 85, all 85 were passed.

Are you quibbling over the terms law v regulation?

For 2009 the House of Commons library recorded 1,329 new EU regulations, and that's just for one year, 1000 in almost 2 years is probably an underestimate.

https://fullfact.org/europe/two-thirds-uk-law-made-eu/
Ray of Sunshine

Postby Ray of Sunshine » Sat May 19, 2018 9:29 am

Claire wrote:
The "Nats" don't think it's about the English. Many of them ARE English. Trust me, you don't matter.

I supported independence but not then to go back into the EU that's nothing of the sort.

Robert the Bruce routes the English then gets in some bureaucrats from Brabant to run Scotland, are you taking the piss?
Ray of Sunshine

Postby Claire » Sat May 19, 2018 9:55 am

Ray of Sunshine wrote:
Claire wrote:

I supported independence but not then to go back into the EU that's nothing of the sort.

Robert the Bruce routes the English then gets in some bureaucrats from Brabant to run Scotland, are you taking the piss?

No. The UK will have to follow all the EU Rules anyway if they want the trade. I'll be happy when I live in an independent country which has agreements with 26 other independent countries.
Claire

Postby Cannydc » Sat May 19, 2018 10:17 am

Ray of Sunshine wrote:
Cannydc wrote:

For 2009 the House of Commons library recorded 1,329 new EU regulations, and that's just for one year, 1000 in almost 2 years is probably an underestimate.

So it's not a thousand laws.

I thought not.

There is a vast difference, and a typical throwaway exaggeration used often by Brexiteers to call regulations "Laws".

As an example, there is a new MOT Test in April - it contains DOZENS of regulations, but the law remains pretty much the same - you must have a valid MOT for a vehicle of a certain age. Similarly, there are new regulations regarding ports. Calling these new laws is simply wrong.

Your link is a good one - it explains perfectly how the ludicrous claims by Leavers, pre-referendum, as to what proportion of our laws come from the EU, were completely unfounded.
Cannydc

Postby McAz » Sat May 19, 2018 11:39 am

Ray of Sunshine wrote:
Cannydc wrote:

This government page lists all Statutory Instruments since 1948. I won't insult your intelligence by explaining delegated legislation as no doubt you ensured you had at least a cursory knowledge of how your country's government works before making your mind up to vote Brexit.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi
McAz

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs