Re: Scottish parliament decisively rejects EU withdrawal bill

Postby Dimples » Fri May 18, 2018 10:51 am

This sums it all up perfectly... :awesome:

EU.JPG
Dimples

Postby Ray of Sunshine » Fri May 18, 2018 1:33 pm

Cannydc wrote:
Sadly, the myths surrounding the EU have been well publicised by all our favourite rags, whose owners all benefit by us being out of the EU and their rags being less well regulated.

Really, which papers are we talking about here?

Murdoch? Sun is pro-Brexit but Times is pro-Remain.

Mail Group? Daily Mail is pro-Brexit but Mail on Sunday is pro-Remain.

Mirror Group? Express is pro-Brexit but Mirror is pro-Remain

Guardian and Independent are pro-Remain.

Telegraph is pro-Brexit.

So in fact the majority of newspaper owners are actually hedging their bets and you're only talking about the Telegraph owners who don't benefit from leaving the EU at all from what I can see it makes not difference to them.

Once again you're talking nonsense.
Ray of Sunshine

Postby McAz » Fri May 18, 2018 1:59 pm

One month before the EU referendum vote, the Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism at Oxford University has released interim findings on the stance being taken by newspapers.

The findings, which cover two sample days of coverage a week during the first two months of the referendum campaign immediately after David Cameron's post-summit Cabinet meeting on 20 February, find that of the 928 articles focused on the referendum, 45% were in favour of leaving compared with only 27% in favour of staying in the EU. Of the remainder, 19% of articles focused on the referendum were categorised as ‘mixed or undecided’ and 9% as adopting no position.

The findings also reveal that newspapers have been more likely to quote Conservatives in the first two months of the campaign. Of the total number of spokespeople quoted in the articles, 36% were UK politicians, of whom 69% were Conservatives and just 14% Labour.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2016-05-23-uk-newspapers-positions-brexit
McAz

Postby Cannydc » Fri May 18, 2018 2:27 pm

Ray of Sunshine wrote:
Cannydc wrote:
Sadly, the myths surrounding the EU have been well publicised by all our favourite rags, whose owners all benefit by us being out of the EU and their rags being less well regulated.

Really, which papers are we talking about here?

Murdoch? Sun is pro-Brexit but Times is pro-Remain.

Mail Group? Daily Mail is pro-Brexit but Mail on Sunday is pro-Remain.

Mirror Group? Express is pro-Brexit but Mirror is pro-Remain

Guardian and Independent are pro-Remain.

Telegraph is pro-Brexit.

So in fact the majority of newspaper owners are actually hedging their bets and you're only talking about the Telegraph owners who don't benefit from leaving the EU at all from what I can see it makes not difference to them.

Once again you're talking nonsense.

Perhaps if you read a bit more, you might learn something.

The Express - Richard "Dirty" Desmond was furious when, after a decade of greasing palms in Labour and the Tories, both decided not to grant him either a knighthood or a peerage. The fallout from that colossal sulk was partly why he ended up giving a million pounds to UKIP just before the 2015 General Election. When he went on The Wright Stuff, he admitted that he had no proper reasons beyond a basic unease. "But we need a referendum," he resolved. "I don't know if we should be in [the EU] or not, but I don't like being controlled by Brussels and these faceless people."

The Sun - Murdoch. Murdoch had to make all kinds of promises to the government of the day just to be considered a fit and proper person to buy the paper at all (most of which he soon broke), and it rankled.

"With Murdoch, it's ideological," argues Charlie Beckett, director of the media think-tank POLIS. "He believes that a European Union is a stitch up.

Then there's the increasing encroachment of EU legislation onto his business interests. Telecoms regulation is light touch right now. But still, does he really want to risk any more of it?

More importantly, while the EU may spend ages propping up farmers, it's never been shy about cutting corporate monopolies down to size. In the past, Europe's antitrust commissioner has beaten back Microsoft, Google and, just the other week, quashed a proposed UK merger between 3 and O2. Were Murdoch to expand his German or Italian TV interests, they could easily quash him too.

Anthony Hilton at the Evening Standard once asked the News UK boss why he was anti-EU. "'That's easy,' [Murdoch] replied. 'When I go into Downing Street they do what I say; when I go to Brussels they take no notice.'"

The Mail - Rothermere 4 - Is hands off, and the paper is completely run by Paul Dacre. Despite his £2.5 million a year pay-packet, Dacre channels the target demographic like a particularly sour race-baiting medium. Which is why, despite his own long-rumoured yearning to Remain, Rothermere 4 has gone against his own wishes to let Dacre go with his Leave gut.

Telegraph / Spectator - Barclay Brothers - secretive, and they've been hands-off when it comes to The Telegraph. Their hands would be largely tied by a position they've inherited – 60 percent of Telegraph readers are pro-Brexit.....
Cannydc

Postby Ray of Sunshine » Fri May 18, 2018 2:56 pm

Richard Desmond doesn't own the Express/ Star, they've been sold to the Mirror Group.

Murdoch is a globalist and the Times could hardly be more pro-Remain.

And I know the Daily Mail is pro-Brexit but the Mail on Sunday certainly isn't, I read it some weeks and it's very anti-Brexit, they even published a pro-EU piece by George Soros.

You basically know nothing.
Ray of Sunshine

Postby Cannydc » Fri May 18, 2018 3:10 pm

Ray of Sunshine wrote:Richard Desmond doesn't own the Express/ Star, they've been sold to the Mirror Group.

Murdoch is a globalist and the Times could hardly be more pro-Remain.
but
And I know the Daily Mail is pro-Brexit but the Mail on Sunday certainly isn't, I read it some weeks and it's very anti-Brexit, they even published a pro-EU piece by George Soros.

You basically know nothing.

Poor effort. Do try to keep up, your floundering is becoming a bit too obvtous.

Dacre has nothing to do with the Mail on Sunday. I haven't mentioned any 'Sundays'.

Murdoch may be a globalist, but he's shit scared about EU interfering with his so-called 'freedom of the press' (freedom to hack phones and print lies)..

And finally, Mirror Group didn't buy the Daily Princess until February this year - 18 months AFTER the Referendum. And they have yet to work out which direction they are heading, though with the majority of their shrinking readership being Leavers, unless they want to lose even more, money will talk.
Cannydc

Postby McAz » Fri May 18, 2018 3:14 pm

'When I go into Downing Street they do what I say; when I go to Brussels they take no notice.'
(Rupert Murdoch)

Fuck democracy! :shake head:
McAz

Postby Ray of Sunshine » Fri May 18, 2018 4:05 pm

Cannydc wrote:
Dacre has nothing to do with the Mail on Sunday. I haven't mentioned any 'Sundays'.

Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday have the same owner.

Cannydc wrote:And finally, Mirror Group didn't buy the Daily Princess until February this year - 18 months AFTER the Referendum. And they have yet to work out which direction they are heading, though with the majority of their shrinking readership being Leavers, unless they want to lose even more, money will talk.

So you now agree that Desmond doesn't benefit?

So how does the Mirror Group benefit?
Last edited by Ray of Sunshine on Fri May 18, 2018 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray of Sunshine

Postby Ray of Sunshine » Fri May 18, 2018 4:05 pm

McAz wrote:'When I go into Downing Street they do what I say; when I go to Brussels they take no notice.'
(Rupert Murdoch)

Ah yes, the famously democratic EU :off head:
Ray of Sunshine

Postby McAz » Fri May 18, 2018 4:09 pm

Ray of Sunshine wrote:
McAz wrote:'When I go into Downing Street they do what I say; when I go to Brussels they take no notice.'
(Rupert Murdoch)

Ah yes, the famously democratic EU :off head:

Vote for Murdoch - he'll give you democracy. :pmsl:
McAz

Postby Cannydc » Fri May 18, 2018 4:26 pm

Ray of Sunshine wrote:
Cannydc wrote:

Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday have the same owner.

Cannydc wrote:And finally, Mirror Group didn't buy the Daily Princess until February this year - 18 months AFTER the Referendum. And they have yet to work out which direction they are heading, though with the majority of their shrinking readership being Leavers, unless they want to lose even more, money will talk.

So you now agree that Desmond doesn't benefit?

So how does the Mirror Group benefit?

FFS get a grip.

Throughout the referendum process, and up until 3 months ago, Desmond owned the Daily Princess - and yes, he was going to be a beneficiary of Brexit via less EU regulation and a Brexit favouring readership. The Mirror group is nothing to do with the argument, Desmond was in charge until 3 months ago and ran a Brexit campaign.

The Mail on Sunday is not edited by Dacre, but Dacre has full control over the Daily Mail. Hence the full on pro-Brexit stance differing from the MOS. The owners give Dacre full rein, knowing he makes them money.
Cannydc

Postby Ray of Sunshine » Fri May 18, 2018 6:18 pm

Cannydc wrote:
FFS get a grip.

Throughout the referendum process, and up until 3 months ago, Desmond owned the Daily Princess - and yes, he was going to be a beneficiary of Brexit via less EU regulation and a Brexit favouring readership. The Mirror group is nothing to do with the argument, Desmond was in charge until 3 months ago and ran a Brexit campaign.

The Mail on Sunday is not edited by Dacre, but Dacre has full control over the Daily Mail. Hence the full on pro-Brexit stance differing from the MOS. The owners give Dacre full rein, knowing he makes them money.

Look at what you said:

Desmond doesn't own the Express/ Star anymore so he doesn't benefit.

And Dacre doesn't own the Mail.
Ray of Sunshine

Postby McAz » Fri May 18, 2018 6:27 pm

But Dacre gets £2.5million a year for propagating the fake news of the Mail - so at least you are being manipulated by someone who can afford to fuck off out it when post Brexit Britain goes down the pan.
McAz

Postby Claire » Fri May 18, 2018 6:29 pm

Ray of Sunshine wrote:Just been reading the comments on The National, "fiercely independent Scots" who want to be ruled by bureaucrats in Belgium, seems clear to me that most of them just hate the English.

Well maybe there's also a fair few English people not that keen on them after what Blair and Brown did to England.

This is what I don't understand about certain English people. If Scotland vote for Independence (I pray we do), how come it's about you?

Do the Northern Irish and Welsh not count?

Clue. IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU. Get over it :ooer:

Plus, while we are in the UK, Blair and Brown are British. Jesus.
Claire

Postby Claire » Fri May 18, 2018 6:31 pm

Cannydc wrote:
Ray of Sunshine wrote:Just been reading the comments on The National, "fiercely independent Scots" who want to be ruled by bureaucrats in Belgium, seems clear to me that most of them just hate the English.

Well maybe there's also a fair few English people not that keen on them after what Blair and Brown did to England.

Just imagine.

Inward investment booming, with 65 free trade agreements on place across the world.

The ability to influence EU decisions, and help to decide standards and laws.

The freedom for Scots to live and work in 26 other countries.

Export and import to and from the EU, tariff free.

OR...... Have Rees-Mogg and Bojo decide when to cut your social services and sell off your health service to the Yanks.

Ally yourself to the area with the lowest growth (and falling) in the G7 - the UK

Cut yourself off from tariff free trade with the EU.

Rely on Liam Fox to negotiate new trade agreements.

What a tough choice.

:thumbsup:
Claire

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs