CAMBRIDGE ANALYTICA AND SCL PAY PRICE OF TREACHERY

CAMBRIDGE ANALYTICA AND SCL PAY PRICE OF TREACHERY

Postby Cannydc » Fri May 18, 2018 2:02 pm

Cambridge Analytica, the data firm at the centre of the Facebook privacy scandal, has filed for bankruptcy.

The company filed for voluntary Chapter 7 bankruptcy in a New York court late on Thursday after being buried by legal fees and lost business.

Cambridge Analytica LLC listed assets as about $100,001 to $500,000 and liabilities in the range of $1 million to $10 million.

SCL Group, parent company of Cambridge Analytica, is also closing in the wake of rising legal costs in the Facebook investigation and loss of clients.

My heart bleeds.....not.

I trust this won't stop ant criminal charges going ahead.
Cannydc

Re: CAMBRIDGE ANALYTICA AND SCL PAY PRICE OF TREACHERY

Postby Stooo » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:50 pm

This is how micro-targeting works, this is why GDPR and cookie notices on websites exist. Does CA have a file on you that goes this deep and did they simply use your data bought from other companies and feed it into programmes that would post to your SM in order to challenge your actual common sense? Online advertising has been doing this for over a decade but using your choice of sandwich to determine the causes that you support seems a hugely sinister thing to do, they were able to get into our minds.

It calls into question the concept of free will.

Stooo
Site Admin

Postby ArchieG » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:20 pm

Stooo wrote:This is how micro-targeting works, this is why GDPR and cookie notices on websites exist. Does CA have a file on you that goes this deep and did they simply use your data bought from other companies and feed it into programmes that would post to your SM in order to challenge your actual common sense? Online advertising has been doing this for over a decade but using your choice of sandwich to determine the causes that you support seems a hugely sinister thing to do, they were able to get into our minds.

My apple devices have all just asked me to change my password for here, citing a data leak :mrgreen:
ArchieG

Postby Stooo » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:24 pm

ArchieG wrote:
Stooo wrote:This is how micro-targeting works, this is why GDPR and cookie notices on websites exist. Does CA have a file on you that goes this deep and did they simply use your data bought from other companies and feed it into programmes that would post to your SM in order to challenge your actual common sense? Online advertising has been doing this for over a decade but using your choice of sandwich to determine the causes that you support seems a hugely sinister thing to do, they were able to get into our minds.

My apple devices have all just asked me to change my password for here, citing a data leak :mrgreen:

Firefox does it all the time, I'm not paying for shit that has no relevance.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Avon Barksdale » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:46 pm

Cannydc wrote:Cambridge Analytica, the data firm at the centre of the Facebook privacy scandal, has filed for bankruptcy.

The company filed for voluntary Chapter 7 bankruptcy in a New York court late on Thursday after being buried by legal fees and lost business.

Cambridge Analytica LLC listed assets as about $100,001 to $500,000 and liabilities in the range of $1 million to $10 million.

SCL Group, parent company of Cambridge Analytica, is also closing in the wake of rising legal costs in the Facebook investigation and loss of clients.

My heart bleeds.....not.

Carole Cadwalladr must be laughing like a drain right now. She took the slurs, the insults, the denigration for years and it turns out she is the one thing her critics could never hope to be: an actual journalist.

Say what you like about her, The Guardian/Observer and Channel 4 but when they are good they are really good.

I'm watching the Social Dilemma on Netflix with my eldest daughter a bit at a time over a few nights and it is vaguely terrifying.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Cannydc » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:19 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:
Cannydc wrote:Cambridge Analytica, the data firm at the centre of the Facebook privacy scandal, has filed for bankruptcy.

My heart bleeds.....not.

Carole Cadwalladr must be laughing like a drain right now. She took the slurs, the insults, the denigration for years and it turns out she is the one thing her critics could never hope to be: an actual journalist.

Say what you like about her, The Guardian/Observer and Channel 4 but when they are good they are really good.

I'm watching the Social Dilemma on Netflix with my eldest daughter a bit at a time over a few nights and it is vaguely terrifying.

One of her loudest critics was Andrew Neil.

His face must look like a bulldog chewing a wasp right now.
Cannydc

Postby Stooo » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:24 pm

Cannydc wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:

My heart bleeds.....not.

The definition of gammon, that and Digby Jones.

Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Avon Barksdale » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:57 pm

Cannydc wrote:

And he's left the BBC to set up Fox News Lite at this time so there isn't an opportunity for him to discuss the story.

Which is regrettable.
Avon Barksdale

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs