Prejudice against disabled people

Re: Prejudice against disabled people

Postby Trapper John » Tue May 22, 2018 9:32 pm

McAz wrote:
Trapper John wrote:
McAz wrote:
Trapper John wrote:
McAz wrote:I've never heard the term "gymnastic" used as a slur, how odd.

It's been 'filtered' as you well know, what about Mong which hasn't yet?

I didn't know. Bloody ridiculous! I'm not for filtering words and terms.

Neither am I but thats what happens. :dunno: I much prefer posters to show their feelings and put unsavoury words where they belong.

Words are just words. I am not personally offended by any.

Umm, that's open to debate but nevermind, there are lots of posters here who are, so much so, some invent their own reasons to be offended then peddle them around the forum as if they've been offensive forever. :roll:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby McAz » Tue May 22, 2018 9:32 pm

Stooo wrote:
McAz wrote:
Trapper John wrote:

You can generally work through them anyway and they're at best a temporary mend.

I didn't know there were filters on here - frankly, I don't think there's much productivity in filters. But I can suppress my misgivings about censorship if they are temporary to protect someone through a bad patch - I think
McAz

Postby Stooo » Tue May 22, 2018 9:33 pm

McAz wrote:
Stooo wrote:
McAz wrote:
Trapper John wrote:

You can generally work through them anyway and they're at best a temporary mend.

I didn't know there were filters on here - frankly, I don't think there's much productivity in filters. But I can suppress my misgivings about censorship if they are temporary to protect someone through a bad patch - I think

The website filters are pretty solid, actual word filters are stupid and rubbish.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue May 22, 2018 9:34 pm

Trapper John wrote:I find the word 'Sp as tic' offensive because although it was once a word in popular and general use, like so many others nowadays it has become a derogatory term used to describe people with any disability to ridicule, mock and abuse them. It is the singular most hated term amongst those with disabilities.

On a personal level I am also particularly offended by the use of the word 'Mong', another derogatory term used to abuse people by implying that someone with Down syndrome are somehow lesser human beings because of their unfortunate circumstances. I have a niece who has a Down syndrome child and she is far a better person than any of those who mock and ridicule her condition or use the term to mock others.

I hope that all the holier than thou posters, guests as well as members, who sing so loudly from the rooftops with their noble anti racism sentiments, will do exactly the same when they see these terms used to abuse and mock people. I look forward to the upwelling of outrage. :thumbsup:

yeah yeah yeah we hammered your mate Trump who abused that journalist.
why do you like trump?

:shake head:

Postby Trapper John » Tue May 22, 2018 9:35 pm

McAz wrote:
Stooo wrote:
McAz wrote:
Trapper John wrote:

To be fair, most of the filtered terms I've seen relate to old flame wars and the combatants - sp-as-tic is a new one by the looks of it though.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby McAz » Tue May 22, 2018 9:36 pm

Trapper John wrote:
McAz wrote:Words are just words. I am not personally offended by any.

Umm, that's open to debate but nevermind, there are lots of posters here who are, so much so, some invent their own reasons to be offended then peddle them around the forum as if they've been offensive forever. :roll:

No, it's not open to debate - I am not offended by words and freely use those I might in certain circumstances condemn others for - but in a non-offensive context.
McAz

Postby McAz » Tue May 22, 2018 9:37 pm

Trapper John wrote:To be fair, most of the filtered terms I've seen relate to old flame wars and the combatants - sp-as-tic is a new one by the looks of it though.

A new one too many I think.
McAz

Postby Si_Crewe » Tue May 22, 2018 9:39 pm

Not really sure what we're talking about here.

If we're talking about tangible discrimination where, perhaps, an employer would choose an able-bodied person over a disabled person who's equally (or better) qualified for the job then sure. Down with that sort of thing.
Pretty sure there are already laws which prevent that happening though.

If, OTOH, we're just talking about people using disabilities as insults, I don't think that should be a big deal.
People should realise that making a habit of doing it is likely to make them look like a cunt but, if they're okay with that, so be it.

Being offended by something shouldn't be a justification for censorship.
Si_Crewe

Postby Trapper John » Tue May 22, 2018 9:40 pm

Guest wrote:
Trapper John wrote:I find the word 'Sp as tic' offensive because although it was once a word in popular and general use, like so many others nowadays it has become a derogatory term used to describe people with any disability to ridicule, mock and abuse them. It is the singular most hated term amongst those with disabilities.

On a personal level I am also particularly offended by the use of the word 'Mong', another derogatory term used to abuse people by implying that someone with Down syndrome are somehow lesser human beings because of their unfortunate circumstances. I have a niece who has a Down syndrome child and she is far a better person than any of those who mock and ridicule her condition or use the term to mock others.

I hope that all the holier than thou posters, guests as well as members, who sing so loudly from the rooftops with their noble anti racism sentiments, will do exactly the same when they see these terms used to abuse and mock people. I look forward to the upwelling of outrage. :thumbsup:

why do you like trump?

Are you in the right thread, Gymnast?
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Racist Cunt Watch » Tue May 22, 2018 9:46 pm

Trapper John wrote:
Guest wrote:

why do you like trump?

Are you in the right thread, Gymnast?

Yeah, who is gymnast?

are you?

did you look at your saviour mocking the disabled? :shake head:
Racist Cunt Watch

Postby Avon Barksdale » Tue May 22, 2018 9:47 pm

McAz wrote:
Stooo wrote:
McAz wrote:
Trapper John wrote:

Is it possible to protect anyone though in a meaningful sense through censorship? Only an incredibly authoritarian regime could have the machinery to do so and the cost to the individual is completely disproportionate.

Exposure to the things you fear generally can reduce fear and help with coping strategies rather than the opposite.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Stooo » Tue May 22, 2018 9:53 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:Is it possible to protect anyone though in a meaningful sense through censorship? Only an incredibly authoritarian regime could have the machinery to do so and the cost to the individual is completely disproportionate.

Exposure to the things you fear generally can reduce fear and help with coping strategies rather than the opposite.

I said it was shit... :woteva:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Avon Barksdale » Tue May 22, 2018 9:55 pm

Stooo wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:Is it possible to protect anyone though in a meaningful sense through censorship? Only an incredibly authoritarian regime could have the machinery to do so and the cost to the individual is completely disproportionate.

I said it was shit... :woteva:

I'm just having a chat. Keep your hair on!

Oh wait.

You don't have any.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Rockstar » Wed May 23, 2018 6:05 am

So this is the thread where Trapper has taken refuge in..... :gigglesnshit:
Rockstar

Postby Trapper John » Wed May 23, 2018 6:07 am

Hugely disappointed by the lack of response from those who just last night at the same time were riding their high horses and waving their anti racism banners with pride.

Seems that imaginary offence taken by those who feel the colour of a persons skin is a far more important thing to be outraged by than actually abusing and mocking people with mental and physical disabilities. :shake head:

Maybe I'm being a bit uncharitable, maybe I'll come home today to find those people have used the same rhetoric and shown the same disgust by filling this thread with their opinions on the disgusting use of these terms to mock and ridicule others. We'll see.
Trapper John
Gunner.

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs