What kind of country are we?

What kind of country are we?

Postby Gigabit » Tue May 22, 2018 9:42 pm

I guess when it comes to voting, you have to ask yourself what kind of country you want to live in.

I spend a lot of time amongst many groups of people and I see goodness everywhere. I see simple acts of kindness, I see people helping others, I see people giving the homeless food and drink. I don't see a society which doesn't care.

But then I look at the Government and I just get so confused. It seems completely anti what people of the UK are like. And I've been all over, from Scotland, to Wales, to the Midlands, to the South East, to London and everywhere I've seen the good of the British.

What kind of country do we want to live in? Is it the society that cares? Or the society that tramples on each other. I know which I'd rather live in.
Gigabit

Re: What kind of country are we?

Postby Si_Crewe » Tue May 22, 2018 9:44 pm

Often it seems as though we're a self-loathing country.

If that stopped, it might help things improve.
Si_Crewe

Postby Guest » Tue May 22, 2018 9:48 pm

Si_Crewe wrote:Often it seems as though we're a self-loathing country.

If that stopped, it might help things improve.

no we aren't. what rubbish

Postby Gigabit » Tue May 22, 2018 9:53 pm

I think newspapers like the Daily Mail make it seem like we're self-loathing but I genuinely think the majority of the country isn't like that.
Gigabit

Postby Si_Crewe » Tue May 22, 2018 10:07 pm

Gigabit wrote:I think newspapers like the Daily Mail make it seem like we're self-loathing but I genuinely think the majority of the country isn't like that.

The problem is, there are an increasing number of situations where self-loathing is the only "acceptable" attitude to have.

There was a feature on the C4 news tonight, for example, where Jon Snow was interviewing the mayor of Manchester with the apparent goal of forcing him to concede that the emergency services weren't competent in their handling of the Manchester bombing last year.
He was constantly asking questions such as "Is it acceptable for a casualty to have to wait 50 minutes before paramedics can treat them?" and "In the event of another attack, would the response be faster?"

This is obviously nonsense.
It's futile for a bunch of paramedics to rush into a terrorist attack and risk being injured, themselves, by a secondary attack.
Before they can treat anybody, reasonable efforts have to be made to ensure the area is safe.

The correct answer to Jon Snow's questions should be "Yes, it IS acceptable in the interests of the safety of the paramedics" and "No, in the event of another attack the response would most likely be similar".
The mayor of Manchester shouldn't be ashamed to give these answers, the public shouldn't be shocked to hear them and Jon Snow shouldn't be trying to imply that our emergency services are a bit shit because they failed to respond recklessly.
Si_Crewe

Postby MungoBrush » Wed May 23, 2018 11:52 am

Si_Crewe wrote:
Gigabit wrote:I think newspapers like the Daily Mail make it seem like we're self-loathing but I genuinely think the majority of the country isn't like that.

The problem is, there are an increasing number of situations where self-loathing is the only "acceptable" attitude to have.

There was a feature on the C4 news tonight, for example, where Jon Snow was interviewing the mayor of Manchester with the apparent goal of forcing him to concede that the emergency services weren't competent in their handling of the Manchester bombing last year.
He was constantly asking questions such as "Is it acceptable for a casualty to have to wait 50 minutes before paramedics can treat them?" and "In the event of another attack, would the response be faster?"

This is obviously nonsense.
It's futile for a bunch of paramedics to rush into a terrorist attack and risk being injured, themselves, by a secondary attack.
Before they can treat anybody, reasonable efforts have to be made to ensure the area is safe.

The correct answer to Jon Snow's questions should be "Yes, it IS acceptable in the interests of the safety of the paramedics" and "No, in the event of another attack the response would most likely be similar".
The mayor of Manchester shouldn't be ashamed to give these answers, the public shouldn't be shocked to hear them and Jon Snow shouldn't be trying to imply that our emergency services are a bit shit because they failed to respond recklessly.

At the anniversary concert yesterday, the Manchester mayor - Andy Burnham - couldn't speak highly enough about the response of the emergency services and at that point he received such a loud and continuous approving applause that he had to pause in his speech.
MungoBrush

Postby Si_Crewe » Wed May 23, 2018 12:01 pm

MungoBrush wrote:At the anniversary concert yesterday, the Manchester mayor - Andy Burnham - couldn't speak highly enough about the response of the emergency services and at that point he received such a loud and continuous approving applause that he had to pause in his speech.

Uhuh.

There's often a giant disconnect between popular opinion and the "enlightened" view.
Most normal people have nothing but respect for the work of the emergency services but we've got Jon Snow trying to force the mayor to admit they did a halfassed job.

Similar thing with Brexit, where we've got these pseudo-intellectuals telling us that Britain is going to end up filled with dark satanic mills and children up chimneys if we don't have the EU to prevent all these evil things.
Anybody in their right mind knows that this is horseshit but we keep being told that we can't govern ourselves equitably and so we need the EU to impose their rules on us.

Another example of the self-loathing that seems to permeate certain sectors of society.
Si_Crewe

Postby Raggamuffin » Wed May 23, 2018 12:07 pm

I'd like people in this country to take their responsibilities as seriously as they take their rights.
Raggamuffin

Postby McAz » Wed May 23, 2018 12:17 pm

Since Thatcher did away with the post-war political consensus the poor have got poorer while the rich have got richer - discord was bound to follow.

Once we have this divisive Brexit nonsense out of the way we might once again refocus our attention on the common good.
McAz

Postby Cannydc » Wed May 23, 2018 12:20 pm

McAz wrote:Since Thatcher did away with the post-war political consensus the poor have got poorer while the rich have got richer - discord was bound to follow.

Once we have this divisive Brexit nonsense out of the way we might once again refocus our attention on the common good.

That may well take 2 or 3 generations.
Cannydc

Postby McAz » Wed May 23, 2018 12:21 pm

Cannydc wrote:
McAz wrote:Since Thatcher did away with the post-war political consensus the poor have got poorer while the rich have got richer - discord was bound to follow.

That may well take 2 or 3 generations.

It may well, more's the pity. The battle will rage for some time yet.
McAz

Postby Gigabit » Wed May 23, 2018 12:34 pm

Neoliberalism is a cancer that must be eliminated. No wonder the media are trying to destroy the man most able to destroy it.
Gigabit

Postby Guest » Wed May 23, 2018 3:35 pm

:link:

:cuppaT:

Postby Guest » Wed May 23, 2018 3:37 pm

Postby Guest » Wed May 23, 2018 5:11 pm

Guest wrote:https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jan/10/uk-inequality-working-people-pensions-ons

Lefties. Always lying

:roll:

The Tories who published the figures are lefties?

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs