Morgan Freeman

Morgan Freeman

Postby Claire » Thu May 24, 2018 5:02 pm

For the "News" part of this section.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/16248604.Morgan_Freeman_accused_of_sexual_harassment/?ref=mr&lp=17

It's quite depressing that people we have admired in the acting industry have been accused of sexual harrassment (as well as politicians etc).

Is it a power thing? Money?
Claire

Re: Morgan Freeman

Postby Cannydc » Thu May 24, 2018 5:57 pm

Claire wrote:For the "News" part of this section.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/16248604.Morgan_Freeman_accused_of_sexual_harassment/?ref=mr&lp=17

It's quite depressing that people we have admired in the acting industry have been accused of sexual harrassment (as well as politicians etc).

Is it a power thing? Money?

It's a guilt thing.

It's perfectly obvious that a culture of sexual harassment has run through the film industry for many years.
Cannydc

Postby McAz » Thu May 24, 2018 6:01 pm

Powerful men try it on with fit young women - what a shocker! :roll:
McAz

Postby Grafenwalder » Thu May 24, 2018 10:00 pm

I think everyone has lost their appetite now for the deluge of salacious Hollywood 'revelations'. Apart from Weinstein most appear to be based on flaky allegations with due process completely thrown out in favour of trial by social media, and not one case brought before a court of law which begs the question, why not? This latest 'revelation' managed to muster just six posts on the DS thread which tells me everyone is fed up of reading allegation after allegation. If people have a valid case for legal proceedings, then they should bring it.

I see Cliff Richard is seeking £500k in damages from the BBC and South Yorks Police have already settled £400k damages. I'm not a fan but i'm glad he took the action he has.
Grafenwalder

Postby Cannydc » Thu May 24, 2018 10:44 pm

Sorry, but the reality is that many accused in this area have admitted guilt already.

The New York Times reported on five women who had accused US comedian Louis CK of sexual misconduct.
Four of the accusers told the paper he had masturbated during interactions with them, while a fifth said he had asked to do so.
The comedian - full name Louis Szekely - admitted the allegations were true and said he had "wielded power irresponsibly".

On 1 November, the Hollywood Reporter published a guest column by a former intern who accused Dustin Hoffman of sexually harassing her in 1985.
Anna Graham Hunter accused the Oscar-winning actor of groping her and making inappropriate comments about sex to her when she was 17.
In a statement, Hoffman apologised and said he felt "terrible that anything [he] might have done could have put [Ms Hunter] in an uncomfortable situation."

In an interview published on 30 October, actor Anthony Rapp accused Kevin Spacey of making a sexual advance towards him when Rapp was 14.
In the days that followed, a number of other allegations were made against the two-time Oscar winner by people who claimed he had groped, sexually harassed or made indecent overtures towards them.
A spokesman for Spacey said in November that he was "taking the time necessary to seek evaluation and treatment" in the wake of the allegations.

On 8 November it was reported that Amazon Studios had launched an investigation into claims that Transparent star Jeffrey Tambor had acted inappropriately towards his personal assistant. Tambor himself called the allegations "baseless".
The following week, transgender actress Trace Lysette claimed Tambor had "got physical" with her on set. In a statement, Tambor said he was "not a predator" and apologised "if any action... was ever misinterpreted by anyone as being sexually aggressive".

The scandal that has engulfed Hollywood was set in motion on 5 October when the New York Times published a story detailing decades of allegations of sexual harassment against Harvey Weinstein.
Many more allegations of sexual harassment followed, along with public denouncements from stars with whom the producer had worked. Weinstein was also accused of rape by a number of women.
The producer issued an apology after the initial New York Times story, saying his past conduct had "caused a lot of pain".

Plainly these 'salacious' revelations were true, and setting a pattern of abuse throughout the industry. Else why apologise ?

As for an appetite for them - better revealed and stopped, than covered up and continued a-la-Savile, IMHO.
Cannydc

Postby Cannydc » Thu May 24, 2018 10:55 pm

It should also be noted that the person mentioned in the OP has also admitted guilt.

"US film star Morgan Freeman has apologised following allegations of sexual misconduct made by eight women and several other people.

One production assistant accused Freeman of harassing her for months during filming of bank robbery comedy Going in Style, CNN reported.

She said the 80-year-old touched her repeatedly, tried to lift her skirt and asked if she was wearing underwear.

Freeman apologised to "anyone who felt uncomfortable or disrespected".
Cannydc

Postby Si_Crewe » Thu May 24, 2018 10:59 pm

I think I'd rather wait to find out the exact nature of Freeman's alleged offences before passing judgement.

Vague claims of "inappropriate behaviour" and "making women feel uncomfortable" are rather subjective and, in this day and age, it's often difficult to distinguish between genuine claims of abuse and frivolous accusations.

Google "Sherita Dixon-Cole" for a related news story currently doing the rounds.
Si_Crewe

Postby Grafenwalder » Thu May 24, 2018 11:33 pm

Cannydc wrote:Sorry, but the reality is that many accused in this area have admitted guilt already.

On 1 November, the Hollywood Reporter published a guest column by a former intern who accused Dustin Hoffman of sexually harassing her in 1985.
Anna Graham Hunter accused the Oscar-winning actor of groping her and making inappropriate comments about sex to her when she was 17.
In a statement, Hoffman apologised and said he felt "terrible that anything [he] might have done could have put [Ms Hunter] in an uncomfortable situation."

Snipped as this was the part i wanted to respond to. I know about that and read her diary some time back she'd published. Not a good idea! Have your read through all of it? You are aware as a teenager she was having an affair with John Malkovich knowing he was a married man with children? She could have said no....but she didn't. In her own words she was ''deeply in love' with him.

On Hoffman she wrote in her diary, "first of all, Dustin's a lech. I'm completely disillusioned. After Tootsie, I thought I wanted to marry him", "Dustin gave all the girls in the studio a key ring with a little heart that says, "Love, Willy." Of course, I'll flaunt it when I go to school. Dustin's a pig, but I like him a lot. And after watching Hoffman in "All The Presidents Men", texted her sister with "Is it weird that I find him kind of sexy in this after what he did?"

In her late 40's she said about Hoffman, "he was a predator, I was a child, and this was sexual harassment." Yet being 'a child' hadn't stopped her having an affair with a man she knew damn well was married..so who was the predator there in that instance?

Sorry but to me she came across as a star struck flighty teenager who kept a detailed diary for reasons best known only to herself of her musings and fantasies, some of which she obviously realised. Yes Hoffman flirted but lets not kid ourselves here..this was not a 'one way street' as Hunter played up to the attention she got.
Grafenwalder

Postby Cannydc » Thu May 24, 2018 11:46 pm

Many women, especially young women, fall for nasty, undesirable men.

That doesn't make those men any less nasty and undesirable.
Cannydc

Postby Grafenwalder » Thu May 24, 2018 11:49 pm

Cannydc wrote:It should also be noted that the person mentioned in the OP has also admitted guilt.

"US film star Morgan Freeman has apologised following allegations of sexual misconduct made by eight women and several other people.

One production assistant accused Freeman of harassing her for months during filming of bank robbery comedy Going in Style, CNN reported.

She said the 80-year-old touched her repeatedly, tried to lift her skirt and asked if she was wearing underwear.

Freeman apologised to "anyone who felt uncomfortable or disrespected".

As he's neither been charged with offences of sexual misconduct or faced trial then i don't know how he can 'admit guilt'. Guilty of what offence? Where are the charges? What happened to due process? Innocent until guilt proven. There has been way too much of these allegations casually slung around usually via social media. If there is a case to answer then those making the allegations should bring a case against him instead of running to the media all the time.
Grafenwalder

Postby Grafenwalder » Thu May 24, 2018 11:52 pm

Cannydc wrote:Many women, especially young women, fall for nasty, undesirable men.

Hunter found Malkovich 'nasty and undesirable' enough to fling herself headlong into an affair with him and claim to be "deeply in love". A married man with children fgs..what on earth was she thinking?
Last edited by Grafenwalder on Thu May 24, 2018 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grafenwalder

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Thu May 24, 2018 11:52 pm

Attachments
bill-cosby-gets-trump-gets-accused-of-sexual-assault-by-5142957.png
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Grafenwalder » Thu May 24, 2018 11:56 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:..............

Ah but there's a Storm brewing! :mrgreen:
Grafenwalder

Postby Si_Crewe » Fri May 25, 2018 12:02 am

Cannydc wrote:Many women, especially young women, fall for nasty, undesirable men.

Setting aside the oxymoron, being nasty and undesirable doesn't make those men guilty of a criminal offence either.

Google "Jian Ghomeshi" for further details.
Si_Crewe

Postby Grafenwalder » Fri May 25, 2018 1:10 am

Si_Crewe wrote:

Setting aside the oxymoron, being nasty and undesirable doesn't make those men guilty of a criminal offence either.

Google "Jian Ghomeshi" for further details.

Take a look at the Mark Pearson case where the CPS were that desperate for a conviction, cctv footage had been tampered with. Fortunately Pearsons lawyer had had the tape examined by a computer forensics analyst who spotted it immediately and suggested the prosecution may like to reconsider! The case was thrown out. But what happened to his accuser? Nothing.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-fil ... -case--wa/

Same with the LIam Allan case which was a diabolical example of how 'justice' works in uk and came very close to putting an entirely innocent young man in prison on a charge of rape, effectively ending his future as he'd remain on the SOF for life. Where is his accuser who had lied to the police? Nothing was ever heard of her again. Protected by life long anonymity.
Grafenwalder

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs