Paddies make sane decision.

Re: Paddies make sane decision.

Postby Grafenwalder » Mon May 28, 2018 8:27 pm

Axtol wrote:
Grafenwalder wrote:
Si_Crewe wrote:
MungoBrush wrote:Did you know that in the UK the Conservative policy on abortion is the same as Labour’s ie pro-choice?

Which puts them at odds with the DUP's policy on abortion.

That's the same DUP who are currently propping up the tories in government.

I suspect that any campaign to legalise abortion in NI will be met with a discreet silence from Theresa and co.

That's going to prove interesting, even more so now since the overwhelming majority vote.

It's like a Coalition Of Chaos........

And May spent £1 billion taxpayers money to bribe them too.
Grafenwalder

Postby Maddog » Mon May 28, 2018 8:49 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Maddog wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/sep/04/artifical-womb-women-ectogenesis-baby-fertility

Artificial wombs are in the near future. How will the pro choice folks react to babies being transferred from a woman that doesn't want it, knowing that the child will be out there living with someone else?

Will the pro life people step up and take care of these kids that are no longer aborted?

Doubt it. Do they tend to adopt or care for parentless children now?

Well, my mom adopted 3, including me. I do know in the US, there is a high demand and a very low supply of infants for adoption. You better have some cash if you want one. Older children are a different matter, but that wouldn't be an issue here. We're talking about infants.

I also believe, that many of the pro choice people would not support these children being transferred to an artificial womb. I think much of the support for abortion comes from the idea that the problem is "eliminated", and the line about it being a woman's health issue is nonsense.
Maddog

Postby Grafenwalder » Mon May 28, 2018 9:21 pm

Maddog wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Maddog wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/sep/04/artifical-womb-women-ectogenesis-baby-fertility

Artificial wombs are in the near future. How will the pro choice folks react to babies being transferred from a woman that doesn't want it, knowing that the child will be out there living with someone else?

Will the pro life people step up and take care of these kids that are no longer aborted?

Well, my mom adopted 3, including me. I do know in the US, there is a high demand and a very low supply of infants for adoption. You better have some cash if you want one. Older children are a different matter, but that wouldn't be an issue here. We're talking about infants.

Yes i watched a tragic documentary about that recently. An American couple who had adopted a little girl from some overseas country through an agency but after months of trying to settle her they began to suspect something wasn't quite right, so began digging deeper on the internet...only to find the adoption agency had conned the parents and the child already had a family. The agency had effectively stolen the child. By then the adoptive parents had already built a bond with the child and the documentary followed the story to where they eventually met with the little girls natural family and handed her over. Tragic for both sides.

But the US authorities found there were more children who had been taken by the agency and the parents of those children had to be informed. The agency was closed down but amazingly the people who had run it got off with relatively light charges despite the staggering amounts of money they'd made.
Grafenwalder

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue May 29, 2018 6:35 am

Maddog wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:

I also believe, that many of the pro choice people would not support these children being transferred to an artificial womb. I think much of the support for abortion comes from the idea that the problem is "eliminated", and the line about it being a woman's health issue is nonsense.

How realistic is this artificial womb theory?
Lady Murasaki

Postby Dick Wolf » Tue May 29, 2018 5:14 pm

Grafenwalder wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:

Yes i watched a tragic documentary about that recently. An American couple who had adopted a little girl from some overseas country through an agency but after months of trying to settle her they began to suspect something wasn't quite right, so began digging deeper on the internet...only to find the adoption agency had conned the parents and the child already had a family. The agency had effectively stolen the child. By then the adoptive parents had already built a bond with the child and the documentary followed the story to where they eventually met with the little girls natural family and handed her over. Tragic for both sides.

But the US authorities found there were more children who had been taken by the agency and the parents of those children had to be informed. The agency was closed down but amazingly the people who had run it got off with relatively light charges despite the staggering amounts of money they'd made.

:aw and Order did a programme on it, a 2 parter
Dick Wolf

Postby Grafenwalder » Tue May 29, 2018 5:38 pm

Dick Wolf wrote:
Grafenwalder wrote:
Maddog wrote:Well, my mom adopted 3, including me. I do know in the US, there is a high demand and a very low supply of infants for adoption. You better have some cash if you want one. Older children are a different matter, but that wouldn't be an issue here. We're talking about infants.

Law and Order did a programme on it, a 2 parter

I didn't see that though the one i did was bad enough. I felt sorry for all involved as both sides had been duped and conned. No money should be involved in adoptions and i think cash for children is abhorrent. It's an open door for racketeering.
Grafenwalder

Postby Maddog » Tue May 29, 2018 8:18 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:

Well, it's pretty much here. The barriers are as much ethical as they are technological now.

Researchers at Cambridge University, meanwhile, have also kept a human embryo alive outside the body for 13 days using a mix of nutrients that mimic conditions in the womb. The embryo survived several days longer than previously observed and research only stopped because they were approaching the 14-day legal limit for the length of time an embryo can be kept in a lab. In other words, our ethics rather than our technology are now the limiting factor.
Maddog

Postby MungoBrush » Wed May 30, 2018 8:15 am

Maddog wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:

Well, it's pretty much here. The barriers are as much ethical as they are technological now.

Researchers at Cambridge University, meanwhile, have also kept a human embryo alive outside the body for 13 days using a mix of nutrients that mimic conditions in the womb. The embryo survived several days longer than previously observed and research only stopped because they were approaching the 14-day legal limit for the length of time an embryo can be kept in a lab. In other words, our ethics rather than our technology are now the limiting factor.

Interesting post, thank you.
Reminds me of this:

"Ian: Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.
Jurassic Park"
MungoBrush

Postby Guest » Wed May 30, 2018 8:16 am

The DUP will block it despite May's pleas.

Postby Lady Murasaki » Wed May 30, 2018 8:19 am

It’s weird science territory alright.
Who’s going to pay for it all? Will the pregnant woman have a choice in the matter?
I see many legal ramifications too.
Just not worth it!
Lady Murasaki

Postby MungoBrush » Wed May 30, 2018 9:55 am

Guest wrote:The DUP will block it despite May's pleas.

Of course they will block it
It's been their published policy for many years
And that's what they were elected for.
MungoBrush

Previous

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs