Can we give up plastic?

Re: Can we give up plastic?

Postby art0hur0moh » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:38 pm

Oh that makes sence now that I looked it up. Flotsam is wrekage, jetsam (jettison?) rubbish. 2 vagrants? thats horrid disgusting!
art0hur0moh

Postby Maddog » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:15 pm

Holly wrote:I'm glad NZ has finally banned plastic straws...just look what it does to our wild life :bawlin:

I seriously hope we get rid of all plastic. FGS, We don't need it!

Don't worry, the Chinese will dump more plastic in the ocean in the next 45 minutes than NZ did during the last decade.
Maddog

Postby Stooo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:19 pm

Holly wrote:How would we go without plastic? Can we do without straws, nappies, drink bottles, takeaway containers, shopping bags, food wrappers, ice cream containers, buckets, microwave dishes, storage containers etc...the list is without end...can we do it?
If so, how will we manage?...any ideas?

Penzance is having a go:

How Penzance became Britain's first ever plastic-free town
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby jra » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:38 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
jra wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
jra wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:If plastic isn't the problem we are, what do you propose we do with the billions of tons of plastic waste we keep producing that won't break down easily .... stack it up in the corner neatly?

I've already answered that, by cutting down on the human population. It doesn't matter how much we recycle, as unless it's 100% of everything, resources will run out eventually and then what?

And it's not just plastic which is the problem anyway. You've got glass, metals, various other materials which take a long time to break down.

Fewer humans = less waste. And it's as simple as that.

Hemp doesn't need recycling it breaks down cleanly and rapidly.
Glass can be recycled indefinitely as it doesn't lose its properties no matter how many times you melt it down and reshape it.
All metals are recycled.
Hemp isn't a resource that runs out.
You do know what renewable means yes?
Lets only have a population the size of Britain is farcical.
The jra solution is let's not tackle the plastic problem because there are other problems too.
Let's just kill everyone.
What a dick.

Let's just kill everyone. Where did I say that?

I'm not saying don't tackle the plastic problem, just giving my views as to why it is IMO a problem.

So, if you want to continue this discussion with me, stop being abusive to me, or I may bow out at any time. However, I probably won't because I'm not letting people like you intimidate me, e.g. by calling me a dick. OK.

And not all metals are recycled btw. They may decay over time. Any man made material may or not be recycled.

So you’re saying rather than deal with the plastics problem let’s give up copulating. What will the rubbers be made of?

ETA. Latex, a type of rubber (the clue is in the name), not plastic.
jra

Postby jra » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:44 pm

Guest wrote:I only use cash

Some of which is made with a polymor (£5/10 notes), a synthetic plastic.

jra

Postby art0hur0moh » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:43 am

jra wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
jra wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
jra wrote:
I've already answered that, by cutting down on the human population. It doesn't matter how much we recycle, as unless it's 100% of everything, resources will run out eventually and then what?

And it's not just plastic which is the problem anyway. You've got glass, metals, various other materials which take a long time to break down.

Fewer humans = less waste. And it's as simple as that.

Hemp doesn't need recycling it breaks down cleanly and rapidly.
Glass can be recycled indefinitely as it doesn't lose its properties no matter how many times you melt it down and reshape it.
All metals are recycled.
Hemp isn't a resource that runs out.
You do know what renewable means yes?
Lets only have a population the size of Britain is farcical.
The jra solution is let's not tackle the plastic problem because there are other problems too.
Let's just kill everyone.
What a dick.

Let's just kill everyone. Where did I say that?

I'm not saying don't tackle the plastic problem, just giving my views as to why it is IMO a problem.

So, if you want to continue this discussion with me, stop being abusive to me, or I may bow out at any time. However, I probably won't because I'm not letting people like you intimidate me, e.g. by calling me a dick. OK.

And not all metals are recycled btw. They may decay over time. Any man made material may or not be recycled.

So you’re saying rather than deal with the plastics problem let’s give up copulating. What will the rubbers be made of?

ETA. Latex, a type of rubber (the clue is in the name), not plastic.

Always been interested in natural materials. In SA, I was watching Macgyver where the ant collony attacks. How he made rubber has intriuged me since. A few years ago I saw woman in shoreditch use streched nylon covered in latex. When the latex dried she released the clamps and it scrunched up. She experimented with consitencies and applications of latex to change how the fabric(don't know an accurate descriptive word) folded in on it self. Been wanting to visit ever since. Cotton uses to much water and bleaching agents. Leather I would prefer hunting. Plastic clothing dosen't retain heat when wet. Since latex is a natural substance I have always assumed it would be warm enough to wear?

wood fiber, well obviously hemp. I want to go to amsterdam. A friend is studying canabiloids medical use in pain management. And I like growing things. Never ate a packet of cut veg with marrowfat peas. One of them sprouted so I planted it. It poped ot the soil three days ago. Less than two days after I planted it.

In contradiction to you thinking it is the population that uses the most plastic. It is industry and various proceses which cause well over 50% of the polution.

Clear glass can't be recycled indefinitly. Eventually impurities enter the glass and it changes colour.
art0hur0moh

Postby art0hur0moh » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:50 am

Sky writing was a nice touch. Has to be a simpler way?! Or I am just to far away to see it?
art0hur0moh

Postby art0hur0moh » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:07 am

Since I can remember I would return home with every pocket full of rubbish. Whenever I got a new jacket I would choose the one with the most pockets.

At some point however, I concluded my effort all those years where in vain. When I emptied my pockets I was dumping it into the bin, which ended up in a land fill. Shortly after I thought, well by that time we will be able to clean the land and recycle or dispose of properly the jetsam.

When I saw the machines used for the channel tunnel. I well, my neurones started firing :artist: :D a new one
art0hur0moh

Postby art0hur0moh » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:12 am

When I found out they dumped the tunneling machine I was none to chuffed. Wish I had the understanding to at least write and find out if it could be used.

The thing I liked most was the conveyer belt. Casting an eye over what came out from the deepest and oldest parts of the dump would be an anthropologist and archeological adventure at the very least.
art0hur0moh

Postby jra » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:51 am

The human race has already pressed the 'no return' button IMO. It's just a matter a matter of time before we self-exterminate, run out of resources, kill everything around us including ourselves etc. etc. Plastic is just one of numerous issues we need to deal with, but probably won't, being our usual selves.

Again. George Carlin is right IMO. The human race is an evolutionary cul-de-sac. Planet Earth will be left to pick up the pieces.

And while we're at it, if God does really exist, explain to me why he/she allows all the misery the human race causes to themselves and other creatures; wars, rapes, murders, killings, starvation, killer diseases and all the rest.

Have a nice day peeps. :thumbsup:
jra

Postby Lady Murasaki » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:30 am

I have an allergy to latex.
Would hemp condoms be any use?
Lady Murasaki

Postby jra » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:46 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:I have an allergy to latex.

Or use other non latex condoms.
jra

Postby art0hur0moh » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:19 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:I have an allergy to latex.

It is hard to figure out. If you want to avoid pregnancy, don't have sex.

My son has a starnge aversion to rubber. I always enjoyed shotting the band. Place on forefinger, wrap around thumb, hold with other fingers and then :shoot:

Big fearty runs any time it even looks like I have the intention of point it in his direction. Not that I have ever let it fly. It is something he doesn't like, so I don't tease (well okay pointing it is a bit of teasing) or provoke, his whatever insecurity it is he has with rubber.

There are times during a cycle when a womans fertility is practically 0. Mid month cramping is the egg being released. Takes about a week to reach the womb. Though generally fertalisation happens during the transit in the philopian (however it is spelled) tube.

First ended up being an autopic pregancy and foetus was aborted at 20 somthing weeks.

I think the mass of cell division causes the egg to settle before it reaches it's destination?

What about a small plastic bag? Oh, that's right thread is about living without plastic.

Sorry LM can't think of any substitutes? Haven't used one since, well I don't know if it could be considered losing my virginity since, nm

Plastic, yeh. Ookaay :again?:
art0hur0moh

Postby art0hur0moh » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:29 pm

Always been of the opinion it should be left where it is!

Contrary to popular opinion it isn't a fossil fule ether.
art0hur0moh

Postby art0hur0moh » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:34 pm

I used to think it was a derivative of fat. Fat soaks into the earth and is then burried. We still know so little about the planet and it's biology.

If people where educated properly across the planet we could actually do some propper studies across environments using our greatest resourse, the brain and very basic 16th c tools.
art0hur0moh

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs