Can we give up plastic?

Re: Can we give up plastic?

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:01 pm

Trapper John wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:Instead of giving them up we need to change what they're made from.
Hemp.
Mass planting on a global scale would give us all the paper and plastic and diesel we need.
It'll grow in every country on almost any soil with no chemicals and it improves the soil and saves the forests.

An excellent plan, I must thank you when I'm starving to death for coming up with it. :thumbsup:

You don't seem to understand.
It will grow where food crops don't.
It's an incredibly tough weed.
One of the most important plants or humans.
It made exploring the world possible by ships.
Ropes sails shoes sealant for the ships varnish paint.
All historic documents are written on its high quality paper.
It is a renewable resource that improves the soil.
Three crops a year are possible in some areas.
Forest take a long time to grow to make paper.
Hemp would supply all paper rapidly.
It makes a lot of building materials.
Think of all those forest you wipe your arse on .... paper.
All that could change in a very short time.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Dean » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:11 am

I saw a bunch of bananas wrapped in plastic. If only they had their own skin to protect the contents inside...
Dean

Postby Dean » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:15 am

I haven’t read the thread, but I’ve read articles about the plastic waste build up in the oceans. I don’t think anybody on here is going to be around when it hits a critical point, but it’s going to happen soon. Be it global warming, pollution, internet addiction/big brother, civil war or nuclear war...

We simply can’t go on the way we are without severe consequences...
Dean

Postby art0hur0moh » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:22 am

Cheers for vids guest. I was thinking along the lines of his christmas special.

Classic comedy just can't be beat, hey Jra. Seen keeping up apearences, bouquet :D And there was another I can't remember name of a couple who lived next door to a bit of a toff?

Back to plastic. Been buying jersey milk for a while now. Container is thicker than normal cartons. Got some bird seed with yellow millet. Got chapati flour though it isn't yellow millet. I still want to grow it.

Will be using cartons as flower pots. I can thread some steel wire through and hang a few from the celing. Curious how that will look?

I would really like to not purchase plastic! In 20 years everything is covered in it now. It is beyond a joke! Been buying more orange juice, in box paper cartons. Not sure what I will plant, and not best pleased with plastic coating. Better than all plastic? See what the limits are of product refuse?

Ever buy a product just because you like the packaging or container?
art0hur0moh

Postby art0hur0moh » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:35 am

Stooo could you message me?
art0hur0moh

Postby jra » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:37 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:Plastic is a very versatile material for the modern consumer world.
We don't need to give it up we need to change how it is made and what it is made from.

I'd agree with that.
jra

Postby art0hur0moh » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:23 pm

jra wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:Plastic is a very versatile material for the modern consumer world.
We don't need to give it up we need to change how it is made and what it is made from.

I'd agree with that.

to be obtuse, you can't change what plastic is made from. It is a polymer of hydrocarbons. With covalent bonds or double covalent bonds. If you don't mind me putting words in your mouth, I belive your intended meaning is that we not use fossil (not derived from fossils, another topic!?) fuels?

Indeed there are many ways we can produce plastic and do!

However I look forward to the day we start using carbon nano tubes and graphine.
art0hur0moh

Postby art0hur0moh » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:28 pm

I have some ideas on how to mass produce carbon nanotubes. I could summerise it in one word we have been using for eons.
art0hur0moh

Postby art0hur0moh » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:55 pm

art0hur0moh

Postby art0hur0moh » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:06 pm

Tired of problems!

When I go for walks now, I do what I did as a child. Pick up no less than three items. If I find a plastic bag. I fill it. Dependant on area I focus attention on glass. Some things are not as high a hazard in the ground where they naturally belong than on the surface.
art0hur0moh

Postby jra » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:49 am

Dean wrote:I saw a bunch of bananas wrapped in plastic. If only they had their own skin to protect the contents inside...

The plastic is there to keep the bananas together (some may not be attached to the bunch) and help prevent contamination in the shop by humans, whether it be by handling, hairs, sweat/finger prints etc. And that applies to most fruits and vegetables.
jra

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:49 am

jra wrote:
Dean wrote:I saw a bunch of bananas wrapped in plastic. If only they had their own skin to protect the contents inside...

The plastic is there to keep the bananas together (some may not be attached to the bunch) and help prevent contamination in the shop by humans, whether it be by handling, hairs, sweat/finger prints etc. And that applies to most fruits and vegetables.

Most fruit and veg is loose and you bag it yourself.
Helps avoid living in a sterile environment.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Dean » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:51 am

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
jra wrote:

I ignore captain obvious and his stupid posts...
Dean

Postby jra » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:56 am

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
jra wrote:

Point taken, but I prefer to live in my own none sterile environment as much as possible when it comes to food, not in somebody elses's.
jra

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:57 am

Dean wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
jra wrote:

I ignore captain obvious and his stupid posts...

I'm sure he'll be along soon with a long explanation of the obvious.
Rolluplostinspace

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs