Do you like your MP?

Re: Do you like your MP?

Postby Stooo » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:38 pm

Wilson wrote:
Cannydc wrote:My concentration here and now is using my voice to shift Corbyn towards a second Brexit referendum, with the aim of stopping it.

Signs for that are much more positive, as Northern constituencies switch to Remain.

How do you know they've switched to remain? I think those pushing for a 2nd referendum (or "Peoples Vote") need to tread very carefully. You could end up increasing the mandate for Brexit.

I know round here the general feeling on the doorstep is "why don't we just get on with it?". I haven't spoken to any Bexit voters who've switched to Remain but I've spoken to plenty of Remain voters who believe the result should be respected.

Saying all that, I'm not against a vote on the final outcome. Timing is everything though...

. Leave under Chequers rules (The EU laws that we helped to make will not allow this).

. No deal (Article 50, paragraph 3) We're fucked.

. Status quo (and try to rebuild this fractured union).

Let's go for proper electoral reform after so that everyone has representation.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Wilson » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:43 pm

LordRaven wrote:
Wilson wrote:
Cannydc wrote:My concentration here and now is using my voice to shift Corbyn towards a second Brexit referendum, with the aim of stopping it.

Signs for that are much more positive, as Northern constituencies switch to Remain.

How do you know they've switched to remain? I think those pushing for a 2nd referendum (or "Peoples Vote") need to tread very carefully. You could end up increasing the mandate for Brexit.

I know round here the general feeling on the doorstep is "why don't we just get on with it?". I haven't spoken to any Bexit voters who've switched to Remain but I've spoken to plenty of Remain voters who believe the result should be respected.

Saying all that, I'm not against a vote on the final outcome. Timing is everything though...

I voted Remain but I am getting truly annoyed with the amount of time and the ongoing shenanigans revolving around Brexit and I really do wish they'd get a bloody move on because I cannot envisage a 2nd referendum, however if a 2nd referendum were to be held I would be delighted.

None of us are qualified to make a judgement on the details of something as complex as leaving the European Union.
Problem is, neither are the government ministers in charge of negotiations. :bored:
The only 'Peoples Vote' I want is a general election. I have every faith in Keir Starmer to get the best deal possible and if that's not good enough, then look at revoking artical 50 altogether.
Wilson

Postby Wilson » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:53 pm

Stooo wrote:
Wilson wrote:

. Leave under Chequers rules (The EU laws that we helped to make will not allow this).

. No deal (Article 50, paragraph 3) We're fucked.

. Status quo (and try to rebuild this fractured union).

Let's go for proper electoral reform after so that everyone has representation.

I think either way, we're funked tbh.
And all because David Cameron decided to kiss UKIP arse to secure a few more Tory votes. TWAT.
Wilson

Postby Fletch » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:00 pm

It seemed perfectly acceptable to have only 1 referendum to join/remain in the EU in 1975. Fairs fair and all that.

*Joined in 1973 without even asking but it proved controversial so a referendum was held.
Fletch

Postby Keyser » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:21 pm

Don't know much about Turner other than than the allegations that he slapped a women's arse.

Hardie will be spinning in his grave.
Keyser

Postby Cannydc » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:26 pm

Wilson wrote:

There has been some very intense polling on the matter, concentrating on Lab northern stronghold constituencies that voted Leave.

Also among constituencies found to have switched from Leave to Remain were arch-Brexiteer Boris Johnson‘s Uxbridge and South Ruislip, Michael Gove’s Surrey Heath and the seats of pro-Brexit Labour MPs Frank Field in Birkenhead and Graham Stringer in Blackley and Broughton.

The analysis, obtained by The Observer, suggested the development was driven by growing doubts about the case for Brexit among Labour voters in the north of England and Wales.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 88001.html
Cannydc

Postby Wilson » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:52 pm

Cannydc wrote:
Wilson wrote:

There has been some very intense polling on the matter, concentrating on Lab northern stronghold constituencies that voted Leave.

Also among constituencies found to have switched from Leave to Remain were arch-Brexiteer Boris Johnson‘s Uxbridge and South Ruislip, Michael Gove’s Surrey Heath and the seats of pro-Brexit Labour MPs Frank Field in Birkenhead and Graham Stringer in Blackley and Broughton.

The analysis, obtained by The Observer, suggested the development was driven by growing doubts about the case for Brexit among Labour voters in the north of England and Wales.

Can't say I have much faith in polls or analysis obtained by media tbh.
Wilson

Postby Cannydc » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:00 pm

Wilson wrote:
Cannydc wrote:
Wilson wrote:

Can't say I have much faith in polls or analysis obtained by media tbh.

Party polls can be pretty reliable, but as you say. I wouldn't stake my life on them. One thing they do well though is detect trends.
Cannydc

Postby Fletch » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:06 pm

Cannydc wrote:Party polls can be pretty reliable, but as you say. I wouldn't stake my life on them. One thing they do well though is detect trends.

They only tell anyone how successful the propaganda is.
Fletch

Postby Cannydc » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:31 pm

Fletch wrote:
Cannydc wrote:Party polls can be pretty reliable, but as you say. I wouldn't stake my life on them. One thing they do well though is detect trends.

Many of us might not like it, Fletch, but propaganda wins elections.

Labour took an awful long time to realise it, but social media has levelled the playing field against the tabloids.
Cannydc

Postby Ray of Sunshine » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:49 pm

Not the current one no, liked the previous one, in fact I worked for him for a bit.
Ray of Sunshine

Postby Keyser » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:58 pm

Cannydc wrote:
Fletch wrote:

Many of us might not like it, Fletch, but propaganda wins elections.

Labour took an awful long time to realise it, but social media has levelled the playing field against the tabloids.

I will never forget this - only very young at the time but I was infuriated by just how gullible people were thanks to that bastard Murdoch. :shake head:

Keyser

Postby Ray of Sunshine » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:44 pm

Of course they would say that.

It was untrue.

That pompous windbag Kinnock was never popular enough to be PM.
Ray of Sunshine

Postby LordRaven » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:54 pm

Ray of Sunshine wrote:Of course they would say that.

It was untrue.

Lived in Ealing, I often drove past his house, I thought him a nice guy but rows in the local indian (allegedly) made him seem a bit of a bully.
Red blinds incidentally
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby Wilson » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:40 am

LordRaven wrote:
Ray of Sunshine wrote:Of course they would say that.

It was untrue.

Lived in Ealing, I often drove past his house, I thought him a nice guy but rows in the local indian (allegedly) made him seem a bit of a bully.
Red blinds incidentally

He should've supported the minors.
Wilson

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs