Most now back reunification of Ireland

Most now back reunification of Ireland

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:28 am

OVER HALF OF people in Northern Ireland would vote for Irish unity if and when Britain leaves the European Union, according to a new opinion poll.

Just over half of people surveyed (52%) said Brexit would lead to them supporting a united Ireland, while 39% would want Northern Ireland to remain in the UK.

A representative sample of 1,199 people from Northern Ireland were interviewed for the poll, which was carried out between 27 August and 30 August.

The online poll was conducted by Deltapoll on behalf of anti-Brexit campaign groups Our Future Our Choice and Best for Britain.

Hard border

Support for Irish reunification increases to 56% in the event of a hard border post-Brexit, the poll states.

If Britain doesn’t leave the EU, 52% of people surveyed would support Northern Ireland remaining in the UK , while 35% would be in favour of united Ireland.

When Scottish voters were surveyed by the same company almost half (47%) said they would vote for independence if Brexit comes to pass, while 43% said they would vote for Scotland to remain part of Britain.

http://www.thejournal.ie/brexit-united- ... 9-Sep2018/

It makes sense for the people of common sense and will be like the collapse of the Berlin wall in Ireland :canny: Party On!!!!

It will also be good for the UK because the Tories would no longer be able to rely on the support of the DUP, so it would mean that Labour would be far more likely to get a majority in elections here!

Win! Win!

:choc:

Re: Most now back reunification of Ireland

Postby MungoBrush » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:37 am

Guest wrote:Hard border

Support for Irish reunification increases to 56% in the event of a hard border post-Brexit, the poll states.

If Britain doesn’t leave the EU, 52% of people surveyed would support Northern Ireland remaining in the UK , while 35% would be in favour of united Ireland.

When Scottish voters were surveyed by the same company almost half (47%) said they would vote for independence if Brexit comes to pass, while 43% said they would vote for Scotland to remain part of Britain.

It makes sense for the people of common sense and will be like the collapse of the Berlin wall in Ireland :canny: Party On!!!!

It will also be good for the UK because the Tories would no longer be able to rely on the support of the DUP, so it would mean that Labour would be far more likely to get a majority in elections here!

Win! Win!

What utter crap.
What's your solution for a hard border between England and Scotland?
MungoBrush

Postby Snookerballs » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:29 am

Reunification will not solve the Brexit Problem , Half of Ireland will be under EU Regulations, the other half UK Regulations,

I cannot see Southern Ireland leaving the EU .
Snookerballs

Postby MungoBrush » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:35 am

Snookerballs wrote:Reunification will not solve the Brexit Problem , Half of Ireland will be under EU Regulations, the other half UK Regulations,

Presumably a united Ireland will be a new country and will need to apply for membership.
As would an independent Scotland.

It took an independant Croatia 8 years to join.
Albania applied for full membership: April 2009
Confirmed as candidate: June 2014
Albania is not expected to join the EU until 2020 at the earliest.
MungoBrush

Postby Snookerballs » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:54 am

Why would Southern Ireland leave the EU, suffer problems then rejoin some ten years later just because of the UK and Northern Ireland`s omnishambles with Brexit .
Snookerballs

Postby Cannydc » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:07 pm

Snookerballs wrote:Reunification will not solve the Brexit Problem , Half of Ireland will be under EU Regulations, the other half UK Regulations,

Surely a united Ireland would mean that N. Ireland (as was) would become part of Eire, in the EU, and no longer part of the UK ?

A move I entirely approve of.
Cannydc

Postby LordRaven » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:53 pm

Guest wrote:OVER HALF OF people in Northern Ireland would vote for Irish unity if and when Britain leaves the European Union, according to a new opinion poll.

Just over half of people surveyed (52%) said Brexit would lead to them supporting a united Ireland, while 39% would want Northern Ireland to remain in the UK.

A representative sample of 1,199 people from Northern Ireland were interviewed for the poll, which was carried out between 27 August and 30 August.

The online poll was conducted by Deltapoll on behalf of anti-Brexit campaign groups Our Future Our Choice and Best for Britain.

Hard border

Win! Win!

The fact is that the previous Catholic Minority (from the times of the The Troubles) tend to have larger families and more children than the Protestant (loyalist) community in NI and it is only a matter of time until they have a huge majority in NI.
As to that majority then voting for a United Ireland and how the then Protestant minority will look at that, well that is another thing that will probably require huge amounts of problems for both London and Dublin to overcome.
The loyalists will despise London for betraying them (after 350 years of loyalty to the Crown) and they will despise Dublin leadership for the obvious historical reasons.
The fact is "there could be blood" and that we already know from the last time Britain and Ireland tried jointly to make a totally united Ireland. Ships full of arms turned up in Belfast docks and the Protestants refused to be ruled by Dublin, and with the fear of massive bloodshed NI was created.
Anyone thinking a simple majority will be a Win Win Win really hasn't thought this through.
Dublin does not have the Military and Police resources to deal with a civil war or even an armed insurrection, should the Protestants take up arms and start bombing (car bombs etc) Dublin.
Any transition to a United Ireland would require cooperation between Dublin and London and it would have to be one of many compromises to stop a new chapter of The Troubles.
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby MungoBrush » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:25 am

Cannydc wrote:

Surely a united Ireland would mean that N. Ireland (as was) would become part of Eire, in the EU, and no longer part of the UK ?

Northern Ireland are net beneficiaries from the UK Treasury by £9billion per annum
Presumably the southern Irish are happy to pick up the tab?
And what about the divorce bill?
How big will that be, and will Dublin pay it?

We can all see what a mess Brexit it.
Don't think that NI leaving the UK then joining Eire will be any easier.
MungoBrush

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:47 am

MungoBrush wrote:
Cannydc wrote:

Northern Ireland are net beneficiaries from the UK Treasury by £9billion per annum

Don't think that NI leaving the UK then joining Eire will be any easier

Well I never!
Rolluplostinspace

Postby LordRaven » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:51 am

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
MungoBrush wrote:
Cannydc wrote:

Don't think that NI leaving the UK then joining Eire will be any easier

Well I never!

There are far too many factors affecting this particular matter to contemplate. Civil war would be the easiest matter to predict, the prods will never willingly accept Dublin rule.
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby Snookerballs » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:10 pm

Whatever the outcome of Brexit negotiations there will have to be some sort of Customs Border between North /South Ireland, the same with Gibraltar
Snookerballs

Postby MungoBrush » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:51 pm

Snookerballs wrote:Whatever the outcome of Brexit negotiations there will have to be some sort of Customs Border between North /South Ireland, the same with Gibraltar

There are borders between Norway and Sweden; between Switzerland and France; Italy; Austria and Germany
I don't really think that it's a big deal.
MungoBrush

Postby Snookerballs » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:23 pm

MungoBrush wrote:
Snookerballs wrote:Whatever the outcome of Brexit negotiations there will have to be some sort of Customs Border between North /South Ireland, the same with Gibraltar

There are borders between Norway and Sweden; between Switzerland and France; Italy; Austria and Germany

There is a difference between those borders and the North/South Divide in Ireland, the last thing that is needed is to bring back the Irish Border and its past problems .
Snookerballs

Postby LordRaven » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:31 pm

Snookerballs wrote:
MungoBrush wrote:

There is a difference between those borders and the North/South Divide in Ireland, the last thing that is needed is to bring back the Irish Border and its past problems .

It's a real niggle in Brexit negotiations for sure
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby Cannydc » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:00 am

MungoBrush wrote:
Cannydc wrote:

Don't think that NI leaving the UK then joining Eire will be any easier.

I suspect it would be similar in many ways to the re-unification of Germany.

Overall, a joyous occasion.
Cannydc

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs