Criminal Charges for North Carolina Woman Who Sheltered Pets

Criminal Charges for North Carolina Woman Who Sheltered Pets

Postby Maddog » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:10 pm

A North Carolina woman says she just wanted local pets to have a safe place to stay as Hurricane Florence made landfall earlier this month. But now she's facing upward of a dozen criminal charges related to the medical care she freely provided to the animals.

Flood and tornado warnings were in effect last week in Wayne County, North Carolina, and the area got more than 10 inches of rainfall. Keeping 2016's deadly Hurricane Matthew in mind, Tammie Hedges realized that with residents evacuating, there would be animals in need of safe, dry shelter.

"It was brought to my attention from some individual rescuers that were going to go out again during this disaster and save some animals," Hedges tells Reason. "They just didn't have anywhere to put them."

On Monday, Hedges was at home when she got a call from Frank Sauls, the animal services manager for Wayne County. She says Sauls told he's received a call about flooding at the shelter site. There was no flooding, but Sauls asked her to come by anyway. When she arrived, Sauls asked if he could go inside to see the animals. She obliged.

Things quickly went south. "We didn't even get to the room that the animals were in and in and it was basically, 'you can hand them over voluntarily, or I'm going to get a warrant,'" Hedges says.

So what had Hedges done wrong? Hedges says Sauls threatened to charge her for administering veterinary medicine without a license. And while Hedges was taking care of the pets for free, she says Sauls told "one of the independent rescuers" that "he was looking at charging me for boarding." Finally, Sauls allegedly claimed Crazy's was operating an animal shelter without a license. "We had to keep telling him we're not open as a shelter," Hedges says. "This is an emergency disaster center for displaced animals for a natural disaster. That's all it is. It's temporary."

According to a Friday press release from the county, Hedges' crime was that she didn't have the proper license to give the animals veterinary medicine. The Wayne County District Attorney's Office has charged her with 12 counts of "misdemeanor practice/attempt veterinary medicine without a license and (1) count of solicitation of a Schedule 4 controlled substance," the press release says.

https://reason.com/blog/2018/09/23/crim ... a-woman-wh
Maddog

Re: Criminal Charges for North Carolina Woman Who Sheltered Pets

Postby Stooo » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:36 pm

It seems to getting that way over there. I guess some of you voted for that but but we've got a similar bunch of idiots running the shop over here too.

Stupid is as stupid does...
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:19 pm

Stooo wrote:It seems to getting that way over there. I guess some of you voted for that but but we've got a similar bunch of idiots running the shop over here too.

Do you honestly believe that there were no laws in place before Trump was elected Stooo?

Postby Stooo » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:26 pm

Guest wrote:
Stooo wrote:It seems to getting that way over there. I guess some of you voted for that but but we've got a similar bunch of idiots running the shop over here too.

Do you honestly believe that there were no laws in place before Trump was elected Stooo?

No.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Maddog » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:51 pm

These are local laws enacted by local petty tyrants. While most people focus on the big names in Washington, these little Nazis run around unnoticed for the most part, and actually impacting the lives of people more than the fools in DC.
Maddog

Postby calitom » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:52 am

stooo--you really have Trump derangement syndrome?? for Gods sake that was one of the kookiest posts I have read in ages.
Lets hope you are just pulling our chains.If not--get counseling.
calitom

Postby Punk » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:00 pm

Maddog wrote:A North Carolina woman says she just wanted local pets to have a safe place to stay as Hurricane Florence made landfall earlier this month. But now she's facing upward of a dozen criminal charges related to the medical care she freely provided to the animals.

Flood and tornado warnings were in effect last week in Wayne County, North Carolina, and the area got more than 10 inches of rainfall. Keeping 2016's deadly Hurricane Matthew in mind, Tammie Hedges realized that with residents evacuating, there would be animals in need of safe, dry shelter.

"It was brought to my attention from some individual rescuers that were going to go out again during this disaster and save some animals," Hedges tells Reason. "They just didn't have anywhere to put them."

On Monday, Hedges was at home when she got a call from Frank Sauls, the animal services manager for Wayne County. She says Sauls told he's received a call about flooding at the shelter site. There was no flooding, but Sauls asked her to come by anyway. When she arrived, Sauls asked if he could go inside to see the animals. She obliged.

Things quickly went south. "We didn't even get to the room that the animals were in and in and it was basically, 'you can hand them over voluntarily, or I'm going to get a warrant,'" Hedges says.

So what had Hedges done wrong? Hedges says Sauls threatened to charge her for administering veterinary medicine without a license. And while Hedges was taking care of the pets for free, she says Sauls told "one of the independent rescuers" that "he was looking at charging me for boarding." Finally, Sauls allegedly claimed Crazy's was operating an animal shelter without a license. "We had to keep telling him we're not open as a shelter," Hedges says. "This is an emergency disaster center for displaced animals for a natural disaster. That's all it is. It's temporary."

According to a Friday press release from the county, Hedges' crime was that she didn't have the proper license to give the animals veterinary medicine. The Wayne County District Attorney's Office has charged her with 12 counts of "misdemeanor practice/attempt veterinary medicine without a license and (1) count of solicitation of a Schedule 4 controlled substance," the press release says.

Welcome to Trumps authoritarian disaster. Who votes for morons like him?
Punk

Postby Maddog » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:27 pm

Punk wrote:
Maddog wrote:A North Carolina woman says she just wanted local pets to have a safe place to stay as Hurricane Florence made landfall earlier this month. But now she's facing upward of a dozen criminal charges related to the medical care she freely provided to the animals.

These laws predate Trump, and are written at the local level. While Trump may be an authoritarian, he has nothing to do with local laws in N. Carolina. :roll:

This is just tyrannical little fucks feeling the need to exert their power at the local level.
Maddog

Postby Punk » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:29 pm

Maddog wrote:
Punk wrote:

These laws predate Trump, and are written at the local level. While Trump may be an authoritarian, he has nothing to do with local laws in N. Carolina. :roll:

This is just tyrannical little fucks feeling the need to exert their power at the local level.

If he won't stop it then he is clearly pro the law in question otherwise it would be stopped. Where did I say that the laws didn't predate Trump? :roll:
Punk

Postby Maddog » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:55 pm

Punk wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Punk wrote:

If he won't stop it then he is clearly pro the law in question otherwise it would be stopped. Where did I say that the laws didn't predate Trump? :roll:

He has no power to stop things like this. We have a federalist system with a constitution. The law in N. Carolina is not illegal, it's just stupid.
Maddog

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs