ABBA could sue the Tories over Theresa May’s Dancing Queen

ABBA could sue the Tories over Theresa May’s Dancing Queen

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:28 pm

The Swedish supergroup, ABBA, could sue the UK Conservative Party for illicitly using their song ‘Dancing Queen’ to accompany Theresa May’s entrance to her keynote speech at the Conservative Party Conference yesterday.

The UK Prime Minister was widely ridiculed for dancing her way onto stage to the band’s legendary tune yesterday, but a precedent set by the Swedish band against political parties using their music could see the Tories facing legal action.

In 2010, ABBA threatened to sue a right-wing Danish political party for pulling a similar stunt by using the Swedish band’s music without permission.

During this 2010 dispute, ABBA declared that they “never” give permission for their music “to be used in a political context“, and it is understood that the Conservative Party also failed to approach ABBA for permission to use their hit, Dancing Queen, to accompany Theresa May’s entrance yesterday.

In 2010, the Danish People’s Party were found to have illegally used ABBA’s hit, Mamma Mia, as a rally song for their leader, changing the lyrics to celebrate the success of their anti-immigrant rhetoric.

At the time, the move led to ABBA members, Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus, telling the right-wing Danish political party to “bugger off“.

Andersson also went on to clarify that:

“Firstly, you cannot just rewrite songs as you like, and secondly we want them to understand that we have absolutely no interest in supporting their party.”

“Abba never allows its music to be used in a political context. This is something that we have pointed out to the Danish People’s Party.”

https://evolvepolitics.com/abba-could-s ... nce-stunt/


:canny: Yes! Sue the arse off the Tory scum cunts!
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: ABBA could sue the Tories over Theresa May’s Dancing Queen

Postby Grafenwalder » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:43 pm

There is a list of 'em actually. Adele was furious when she heard Trump was using one of her songs during his campaign. Now that would have been a 'face off' i think many people would have paid good money to see!

"Listen up Trump twat...stop using my music or i'll sue the fuckin' arse off you you c**t"! :laughing:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/feb/01/adele-donald-trump-songs-campaign
User avatar
Grafenwalder
 
Posts: 698
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:17 pm

Re: ABBA could sue the Tories over Theresa May’s Dancing Queen

Postby Me Again » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:57 pm

"Could"

Lots of things "could" happen, guesty.

Come back and let us know if they do... :bored:
User avatar
Me Again
 

Re: ABBA could sue the Tories over Theresa May’s Dancing Queen

Postby Grafenwalder » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:46 am

Me Again wrote:"Could"

Lots of things "could" happen, guesty.

Come back and let us know if they do... :bored:

I notice from the op's link that ABBA instructed their record company to pursue legal action against the Danish right wing party which resulted in an out of court settlement so there may well be notice winging it's way over to Tory HQ yet.

Nothing stopping ABBA as 1) they've got more than enough financial clout to bring a case and 2) they'd win their case no problem...if the Tories were daft enough to let it get as far as court. The sensible thing would be to settle out of court but seeing as they've been daft enough to use music without permission before, i suspect they would go to court. They seem to think they are above the law.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/keane-star-richard-hughes-horrified-at-tories-use-of-song-1943547.html
User avatar
Grafenwalder
 
Posts: 698
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:17 pm

Re: ABBA could sue the Tories over Theresa May’s Dancing Queen

Postby calitom » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:33 am

The blonde chick from ABBA raped me 36 yrs ago----in my ears
User avatar
calitom
 
Posts: 3350
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:21 pm

Re: ABBA could sue the Tories over Theresa May’s Dancing Queen

Postby Cannydc » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:57 am

calitom wrote:The blonde chick from ABBA raped me 36 yrs ago----in my ears


Jesus raped you a few years back - in your brain.
User avatar
Cannydc
 
Posts: 12655
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: ABBA could sue the Tories over Theresa May’s Dancing Queen

Postby LordRaven » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:06 pm

Guest wrote:The Swedish supergroup, ABBA, could sue the UK Conservative Party for illicitly using their song ‘Dancing Queen’ to accompany Theresa May’s entrance to her keynote speech at the Conservative Party Conference yesterday.

The UK Prime Minister was widely ridiculed for dancing her way onto stage to the band’s legendary tune yesterday, but a precedent set by the Swedish band against political parties using their music could see the Tories facing legal action.

In 2010, ABBA threatened to sue a right-wing Danish political party for pulling a similar stunt by using the Swedish band’s music without permission.

During this 2010 dispute, ABBA declared that they “never” give permission for their music “to be used in a political context“, and it is understood that the Conservative Party also failed to approach ABBA for permission to use their hit, Dancing Queen, to accompany Theresa May’s entrance yesterday.

In 2010, the Danish People’s Party were found to have illegally used ABBA’s hit, Mamma Mia, as a rally song for their leader, changing the lyrics to celebrate the success of their anti-immigrant rhetoric.

At the time, the move led to ABBA members, Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus, telling the right-wing Danish political party to “bugger off“.

Andersson also went on to clarify that:

“Firstly, you cannot just rewrite songs as you like, and secondly we want them to understand that we have absolutely no interest in supporting their party.”

“Abba never allows its music to be used in a political context. This is something that we have pointed out to the Danish People’s Party.”

https://evolvepolitics.com/abba-could-s ... nce-stunt/


:canny: Yes! Sue the arse off the Tory scum cunts!

Theresa May continues to make herself look an utterly ridiculous individual with her hopeless attempts at dancing she has as much natural rhythm as a fence post and she really needs to be told to cut it out.
Her dancing is on par with her lack of leadership skills and her pathetic negotiating skills on Brexit.
The worst PM in living memory without doubt.
User avatar
LordRaven
 
Posts: 30281
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:39 pm
Location: Enceladus

Re: ABBA could sue the Tories over Theresa May’s Dancing Queen

Postby Peter Crouch » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:43 am

Guest wrote:The Swedish supergroup, ABBA, could sue the UK Conservative Party for illicitly using their song ‘Dancing Queen’ to accompany Theresa May’s entrance to her keynote speech at the Conservative Party Conference yesterday.

The UK Prime Minister was widely ridiculed for dancing her way onto stage to the band’s legendary tune yesterday, but a precedent set by the Swedish band against political parties using their music could see the Tories facing legal action.

In 2010, ABBA threatened to sue a right-wing Danish political party for pulling a similar stunt by using the Swedish band’s music without permission.

During this 2010 dispute, ABBA declared that they “never” give permission for their music “to be used in a political context“, and it is understood that the Conservative Party also failed to approach ABBA for permission to use their hit, Dancing Queen, to accompany Theresa May’s entrance yesterday.

In 2010, the Danish People’s Party were found to have illegally used ABBA’s hit, Mamma Mia, as a rally song for their leader, changing the lyrics to celebrate the success of their anti-immigrant rhetoric.

At the time, the move led to ABBA members, Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus, telling the right-wing Danish political party to “bugger off“.

Andersson also went on to clarify that:

“Firstly, you cannot just rewrite songs as you like, and secondly we want them to understand that we have absolutely no interest in supporting their party.”

“Abba never allows its music to be used in a political context. This is something that we have pointed out to the Danish People’s Party.”

https://evolvepolitics.com/abba-could-s ... nce-stunt/


:canny: Yes! Sue the arse off the Tory scum cunts!
Her dancing makes me look good so please STFU! Theresa should go on strictly ASAP, we could all do with a laugh.
User avatar
Peter Crouch
 


Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests