Bakery win 'Gay Cake' row

Re: Bakery win 'Gay Cake' row

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:33 am

Cannydc wrote:
calitom wrote:Bakers shouldnt be forced to put political opinions on their cakes.Someone like Canny shouldnt be forced to make a cake that says I LOVE TRUMP on it.
But I would trust a more conservative person to properly make a liberal cake than i would a liberal to make a conservative cake.-Same as walking down the street with a MAGA hat often insights violent
abuse from the left...While someone with an Obama or Hillary shirt rarely if ever gets attacked by church going right wing people.

So the left activists are often highly hypocritical.And highly dishonest.

I would happily make a cake that says I LOVE TRUMP on it.

If you are prepared to sign up to paying the vastly extortionate price, which will be donated to Labour party funds.....

There's more than one way to skin a stupid American cat.

Nige can you bake me a 'labour is institutionally anti-Semitic' cake please.

Ta.

Postby Cannydc » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:38 am

Who's 'Nige' ?

My initials are DC, hence my username.

Your stalking skills obviously need brushing up. Try the GRU.
Cannydc

Postby Richie BowWow » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:49 am

An orchestrated campaign targeting Christians.

I'm sure these activists would never in a million years think of targeting a Muslim bakery despite almost universal opposition to gay marriage amongst Muslims.
Richie BowWow

Postby Richie BowWow » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:01 am

Cannydc wrote:Who's 'Nige' ?

My initials are DC, hence my username.

Your stalking skills obviously need brushing up. Try the GRU.

Dick Chomper is that you?
Richie BowWow

Postby Snookerballs » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:03 am

Grafenwalder wrote:
Snookerballs wrote:
Grafenwalder wrote:
Snookerballs wrote:Regardless of the discrimination,

So we now have the situation if a contract is signed, sealed and settled , one can still back out using religous grounds leaving the Client out of pocket .

I'm not sure where you're getting this from but there was no 'signed contract', simply an order and that's not 'a contract'. Gareth Lee was never 'left out of pocket' either. He went to another bakery, got his cake and slogan..then decided to take action against Ashers. Anyone else would have moved on but Lee was obviously on his activists mission which has now backfired spectacularly on him.

This case has cost almost £500k so i would hope Mr Lee is ordered to pay his share in costs.

The News media appear to be a bit misleading regarding this Court Case A verbal Contract is different under English Law.
There does not have to be a signed contract in English Law, A verbal contract can be upheld in an English Court so long as it follows the guidelines,
An Offer ( order the cake)
An Acceptance ( Bakers accept offer)
Lawful Consideration ( Customer gives Baker a Cheque/cash for the cake)
Certainty of Terms ( Both Parties have agreed a contract money has been accepted, Customer walks out of shop)

Once the customer has walked out of the shop it is too late for the Bakers to change their mind and cancel the order, if there are any changes to the order that is up to the Customer to accept ,
However as this Court Case is Irish Law which does not apply to England , ( Ireland still will not approve the Abortion Law )
https://www.blakemorgan.co.uk/news-events/blog/you-said-it-was-ok-can-you-make-verbal-agreement/

To save you trawling the internet searching out sites to support your failed narrative i suggest you take a look at the Supreme Court judgement instead. It's 30 pages long but 30 pages of the actual case rather than any internet whataboutery.

https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/docs/uksc-2017-0020-judgment.pdf

I thank you for your link, you will note the heading on the first page states the case is based on the Northern Ireland Act 1998 ( that has no such standing in English Law )
Snookerballs

Postby LordRaven » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:52 pm

Guest wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:I'd Turn down cake making that the custom wanted signing up with VOTE TORY.

If i was a cake maker, as a staunch Labour man, i would set my feelings aside for the cash benefit and it would only be seen by a load of gammon fucks anyway! :pmsl:

Agreed, all those Labour Gammons are now seeing the error in their ways...

The analysis, one of the most comprehensive assessments of Brexit sentiment since the referendum, suggests the shift has been driven by doubts among Labour voters who backed Leave.

As a result, the trend is starkest in the north of England and Wales – Labour heartlands in which Brexit sentiment appears to be changing. The development will heap further pressure on Jeremy Corbyn to soften the party’s opposition to reconsidering Britain’s EU departure.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -to-remain

WTF were they thinking?
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby Lady Murasaki » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:58 pm

Richie BowWow wrote:An orchestrated campaign targeting Christians.

I'm sure these activists would never in a million years think of targeting a Muslim bakery despite almost universal opposition to gay marriage amongst Muslims.

This isn’t a thread about Muslims.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:08 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:

Scum like that try and turn most threads to that subject though. :flog:

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:21 pm

The case was bullshit and agenda driven. If a cake shop refused to do as I asked, I'd just walk out and go some where else with my money.
I never queued to get into a night club or a pub. Never saw the need to stand in line to give someone my custom. Plenty of places willing to take it.

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:25 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:

No but to be fair it does have a religious element to the story so it's a fair comparison.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Lady Murasaki » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:25 pm

Guest wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:

Scum like that try and turn most threads to that subject though. :flog:

Bit of an obsession for some.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Lady Murasaki » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:27 pm

Guest wrote:The case was bullshit and agenda driven. If a cake shop refused to do as I asked, I'd just walk out and go some where else with my money.
I never queued to get into a night club or a pub. Never saw the need to stand in line to give someone my custom. Plenty of places willing to take it.

I would too but some people feel revenge is more important than getting cake. I’m not one of them.
Last edited by Lady Murasaki on Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Lady Murasaki » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:29 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:

No but to be fair it does have a religious element to the story so it's a fair comparison.

It would’ve been better if a Muslim bakery turning gay people away was held up as evidence though.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:47 pm

Guest wrote:Sjw over-reach.

Common sense prevailed.

Be some inconsolable queens in anguish tonight. They're not special afterall.

Cake all round

Image :hand:

Postby Grafenwalder » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:38 pm

Snookerballs wrote:
Grafenwalder wrote:
Snookerballs wrote:
Grafenwalder wrote:
Snookerballs wrote:Regardless of the discrimination,

So we now have the situation if a contract is signed, sealed and settled , one can still back out using religous grounds leaving the Client out of pocket .

I'm not sure where you're getting this from but there was no 'signed contract', simply an order and that's not 'a contract'. Gareth Lee was never 'left out of pocket' either. He went to another bakery, got his cake and slogan..then decided to take action against Ashers. Anyone else would have moved on but Lee was obviously on his activists mission which has now backfired spectacularly on him.

This case has cost almost £500k so i would hope Mr Lee is ordered to pay his share in costs.

The News media appear to be a bit misleading regarding this Court Case A verbal Contract is different under English Law.
There does not have to be a signed contract in English Law, A verbal contract can be upheld in an English Court so long as it follows the guidelines,
An Offer ( order the cake)
An Acceptance ( Bakers accept offer)
Lawful Consideration ( Customer gives Baker a Cheque/cash for the cake)
Certainty of Terms ( Both Parties have agreed a contract money has been accepted, Customer walks out of shop)

Once the customer has walked out of the shop it is too late for the Bakers to change their mind and cancel the order, if there are any changes to the order that is up to the Customer to accept ,
However as this Court Case is Irish Law which does not apply to England , ( Ireland still will not approve the Abortion Law )
https://www.blakemorgan.co.uk/news-events/blog/you-said-it-was-ok-can-you-make-verbal-agreement/

To save you trawling the internet searching out sites to support your failed narrative i suggest you take a look at the Supreme Court judgement instead. It's 30 pages long but 30 pages of the actual case rather than any internet whataboutery.

https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/docs/uksc-2017-0020-judgment.pdf

I thank you for your link, you will note the heading on the first page states the case is based on the Northern Ireland Act 1998 ( that has no such standing in English Law )

Not sure what your point is over that other than UK parliament established devolved legislation for NI, hence the current issues surrounding Brexit with hard borders and their 'little Englander' mentality.

This incident occurred in NI and the first two hearings went through NI courts. That figures given thats where the incident happened (would have been a court in Wales if it had been a Welsh baker). But the Supreme court presides over appeal cases from England, Wales, Scotland, and NI. The Supreme court found the lower courts in NI had incorrectly interpreted the law and now thankfully, corrected that matter.

Even if Mr Lee fancied his chance at trying the same mischief with an English bakery in England, he'd have eventually been met with exactly the same as the Supreme court found Ashers had never discriminated against Lee over his sexual orientation as he'd tried to claim, indeed he'd been a customer there before. Their objection was the message logo on the cake.

All hinges around ECHR rulings 9 and 10 which rules you cannot force someone to accept a personal/political view they disagree with (the exact para is somewhere in that Supreme court link i posted) and the Supreme court passed judgement correctly. Can you not see that this covers all parties? For example a gay baker cannot be forced by a heterosexual couple to make a logo "marriage is only between man and woman".
Grafenwalder

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs